U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:08 PM

9 posts, read 25,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I really like the Buena Vista/Salida area and know that you can probably find affordable housing. For jobs, I suggest that you look at the local paper, The Mountain Mail. We also get a free paper called The Mountain Guide. Just looking at the Want Ads from the latest edition, I found the following: 1. General Labor position, July through October, $10 to $12 per hour; 2. Full time truck driver, salary based on experience, 3. Tanker truck driver; 4. Elementary school teacher, 5. Internet installation tech, $16 to $21 per hour, 6. Part-time office help; 7. Part-time cleaning help;8. Wranglers for trail rides; 9. Two ads for housekeeping at local hotels, etc, etc,

A lot of jobs in this area are seasonal because we get the tourist trade. Canyon City probably would have more employment opportunities.
I figured there is got to be jobs in a tourist town, I just didn't know how competitive it is. I keep going back to the idea of Salida because of the attractions and the opportunity that my kids could have by living there. I am fully aware how seasonal jobs go, but I am also aware that good, dependable, trustworthy and hard working people are also hard to come by. Home ownership is not necessary if the ability to pay rent is. There seems to be many properties for sale in that area. It looks like they get put on and taken off the market often. Does that mean those houses sit vacant or they get rented out? When we lived in Telluride a majority of the properties sat vacant for most of the year except for the holidays and festivals. Is Salida like that? I got the impression Salida is a little more grounded than Telluride. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 02:45 PM

4,884 posts, read 9,634,290 times
OP, it really doesn't matter how hard working you are, if you are competing for jobs with dozens of other equally hard working people. Especially if they are willing to be hard working at a lower salary than you are wanting.

I agree that Salida is a LOT more grounded than Telluride. I can't answer your question about real estate, but I would imagine that there aren't many properties that just sit vacant. With the hot real estate market in Denver, we are seeing more people buying in mountain towns. The BV/Salida area has always been a destination for retires, and lately there have been more people buying here in BV.

Lugnuts has lived in this area for a while, so hoping he will chime in!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:27 PM

Whoa! Just asking questions. I have an education and I have skills, but I figured that people who can afford to live in exclusive, expensive town usually don't "need" to work. From my experience, people would work at their jobs and eventually get bored with the "labor" jobs and just not show up for work or come in late or need someone to cover their shift because they were going skiing/ hiking/climbing or whatever. Has that really changed? If my budget is so bad, then where in Colorado do you suggest?

Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM

3,184 posts, read 7,037,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmebacktothemountains View Post
Whoa! Just asking questions. I have an education and I have skills, but I figured that people who can afford to live in exclusive, expensive town usually don't "need" to work. From my experience, people would work at their jobs and eventually get bored with the "labor" jobs and just not show up for work or come in late or need someone to cover their shift because they were going skiing/ hiking/climbing or whatever. Has that really changed? If my budget is so bad, then where in Colorado do you suggest?
It may have seemed like that 12 years ago in Telluride, but I assure you that other than some really crummy jobs, competition it pretty tough. I'm in then Vail area, have lived in resort towns including Telluride for over 15 years, it is not easy to get a job that pays above crap right now. Lots of us that live in resort areas work hard and pay higher real estate prices because it's the place we want to be, we don't have the luxury to flake out on a job to ski or hike that day. There is nothing to rent in the $900 range that could possibly fit a family within an hour of the Vail area, Glenwood is a nice town, but your budget gets you nothing there either, Grand Junction is barren as far as jobs go. Colorado is a highly desirable place and rents in areas that have jobs and good schools are skyrocketing.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I got that feeling years ago that there were no jobs in Grand Junction. Do you know anything about Canon City? I kinda get the no jobs feeling there.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 PM

3,184 posts, read 7,037,431 times
All I know about Canon City is that there is a prison near by, I don't think I've ever driven through it. The front range has the most job options, it can be hard to make a consistent living in the mountain communities.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 AM

463 posts, read 980,099 times
Quote:
Whoa! Just asking questions. I have an education and I have skills,...
Like Dreaming says, it just doesn't matter. I did engineering in my undergrad. So what? That and 25 cents will buy me a cup of coffee. Well, maybe $5 at Bongos after inflation. It's not that people are trying to be alarmist on this thread, it's that we are trying to warn you of the sacrifices that will be required if you move here. It's one thing to try it if you are young and single but there is NO WAY I would try it if I had kids. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it wouldn't be worth the sacrifice. So I guess the question becomes: Why subject your family to the unrelenting financial stress of living in resort town Colorado when you can have a much better standard of living elsewhere?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Like Dreaming says, it just doesn't matter. I did engineering in my undergrad. So what? That and 25 cents will buy me a cup of coffee. Well, maybe $5 at Bongos after inflation. It's not that people are trying to be alarmist on this thread, it's that we are trying to warn you of the sacrifices that will be required if you move here. It's one thing to try it if you are young and single but there is NO WAY I would try it if I had kids. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it wouldn't be worth the sacrifice. So I guess the question becomes: Why subject your family to the unrelenting financial stress of living in resort town Colorado when you can have a much better standard of living elsewhere?
Point taken. Better standard of living however is all in perspective.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,430,211 times
Quote:
Point taken. Better standard of living however is all in perspective.
True. However, if you and your spouse are working two jobs just to pay the mortgage/rent, will you have the time/energy to be able to enjoy the outdoors that you moved close to?

I currently live in a location that has been touted as "poverty with a view." We actually live really well here, but part of that is because my husband was able to secure a nursing job before we moved here. I have several friends who have come and gone in the 5 years we have lived here because they were tired of working so hard just to pay the rent. Once they had kids, they realized their dream of living here wasn't very feasible. We really would love to relocate to the Arkansas Valley in Colorado, but there are no jobs for him that even come close to paying what he makes here. It's just not feasible for us.

Are you dead set on Colorado? You might be able to find what you are looking for in other places.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 PM

606 posts, read 735,088 times
I would not consider moving to one of the areas you mentioned without a job in hand, especially with a family. Not being negative, it's just the reality. Perhaps if you made the move to a larger front range city, Pueblo or Colorado Springs for example. You would still be close to the mountains but in an area with better prospects for employment and a cheaper cost of living. Then from there you could continue to research the smaller communities you like.

Being in the state might make it easier to job hunt and maybe secure a job in one of your target locations should an opening come up. Also gives you the ability to really visit the areas you are considering without the commitment. You may find many of these spots are not as you remember them and you may find another little gem you never knew about.

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 07-01-2013 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or