U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:10 AM

14,498 posts, read 22,347,982 times

Advertisements

Bears are afraid of a good dog. There are two dead prairie rats on the road blocks from my residence where folks like to let them roam freely. They must also like the way scavenger birds pluck away at them during the day. I think folks are so enamored with the critters because of their waggily tails.

How much is that prairie doggie in the window? ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:07 AM

2,591 posts, read 5,988,228 times
Rabbits. So many rabbits. . .
Sometimes they spread tularemia; last summer in Broomfield - Tularemia confirmed in Plaster Reservoir wild rabbit population:
Quote:
Broomfield Public Health and Environment advises people to steer clear of wild rodents, squirrels and rabbits near the Plaster Reservoir after confirming cases of tularemia.

The disease was found Thursday in specimens of wild rabbits collected south and west of the reservoir located northeast of W. 136th Avenue and Lowell Boulevard. Broomfield residents had noticed several dead rabbits in the vicinity.

Broomfield Public Health and Environment said in a health alert released Friday that there have not been any confirmed cases or noticeable outbreaks in other areas.

People can contract tularemia from tick and deer fly bites or skin contact with infected animals. Symptoms include sudden fever, chills, headache, diarrhea, muscle aches, joint pain and dry cough. People can also develop pneumonia. . .
I suppose there's a positive side for those who abhor the prairie dog; a few years ago, also in Broomfield, Broomfield prairie dog die-off blamed on tularemia:

Quote:
A prairie dog die-off in the Anthem area initially suspected to be caused by plague has been blamed on tularemia.

County health officials began investigating the die-off on Oct. 5, and cordoned off an area south and west of Uptown Avenue in the Arista development to limit access of people and their pets. The affected area is south of the 1stBank Center.

On Wednesday, a rabbit in the area was confirmed to have tularemia.

Tularemia is a bacterial-caused disease found in animals, especially rodents, rabbits and hares. It is spread by bites from infected fleas, ticks or insects, handling infected animal carcasses, eating or drinking contaminated food or water, or breathing in the bacteria. . .

Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 AM

5,599 posts, read 4,907,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
Exactly. To me, we as humans come first, the planet is OURS to do with as we so please for the most part. Besides, the animals have plenty of natural preserves in the National Forests etc where they can prosper and do so in a much more natural & genuine type of setting as opposed to a zoo. I'm not one particularly big on yielding to the right of way of an animal, as a human being I'm more important.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for letting things be which are not being a nuisance or causing any problems, and letting animals have space WITHIN REASON to be what they are. However, I get tired of being told that, say, if you have a cat or dog that you let play outside IN YOUR OWN YARD and a coyote hurts it, well it's your fault for choosing to live in the coyote's habitat and not spending thousands of dollars and dozens of man hours erecting a huge fence (which often-times animals maneuver around anyway) to keep them out. I'm tired of being told that my children have to be supervised while playing outside when I grew up doing just fine playing outside alone while my parents did whatever inside--because a mountain lion may harm them and, hey, "you chose to live in their territory." Heck, even if I'm hiking in a hiking place (for lack of a better word), I think my right to enjoy that hiking trail supersedes the rights of the animals to live there, if they chose to attack me anyway (otherwise leave them alone no hunting).

I pay the mortgage and taxes on my land, and spend the time to keep it in decent shape, I should be able to dictate what is allowed there and why, for whatever reason. If it takes "shoot, shovel, shut up" then so be it. What's the difference in, say, killing a mountain lion or stray animal trespassing and inflicting a mess or physical harm in YOUR LIVING SPACE vs killing mice and cockroaches etc? Should we just let the roaches & mice have the run of our house because, well, "you chose to live in an area where they're known to exist?"

Don't get me wrong, if something is of no harm to me I have no problem letting it be. I see snakes at our places on occasion, and if it's not poisonous, I let it be, or at least relocate further into the woods which surrounds our place. It's not harming anything and in fact does good in terms of killing mice & rats etc, I say leave it alone. Blue jays, deer and squirrels, same thing--no harm, let it be, enjoy its beauty and wonder.

But if an armadillo comes on here ransacking our trash we have left for the guy to pickup the next day, or a stray pit bull dog endangers our kids who are playing IN THEIR OWN YARD and just scaring it off doesn't work and it keeps coming back, I'm filling it full of .22 bullets. It's no different than setting a mouse trap for mice or spraying for bugs if you ask me. I typically will blast a couple of firecrackers to scare it off, and if that does the trick, fine, but if it keeps coming back, I'm not fooling around with this all day, I've got a life to live. They can go "live in harmony" somewhere else.

When those stray pit bulls and armadillos start paying the taxes and such on our property, then I'll do otherwise--otherwise, trespass at your own peril. If that woodpecker keeps waking me up drilling its business on the roof of my house, it's going to find itself turned into a lifeless feather duster--leave me alone and drill your business on a tree, then you're allowed to live.

LRH
Just about threw up when I read your post.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:59 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,424,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Bears are afraid of a good dog. There are two dead prairie rats on the road blocks from my residence where folks like to let them roam freely. They must also like the way scavenger birds pluck away at them during the day. I think folks are so enamored with the critters because of their waggily tails.

How much is that prairie doggie in the window? ...
http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/...importance.pdf

Old 07-06-2013, 02:36 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's been my experience that most wild animals just pass through my property, none seem to take up residence. I've had few problems and for the most part just leave them alone. While I haven't seen any by my cabin, I would kill a snake (sorry, but I can't stand them). I am presently concerned about a lady up the hill who is feeding a small bear, I need to talk to her again. It looks like I'm going to have to turn her in, I hate that. I chased off a pretty good size bear the other day and darn if it didn't double back on me. I'm pretty sure it was headed over to her cabin.
Yes, do have a chat with the woman. We followed a case in this forum of a woman who fed the bears for years, IIRC over on the western side of COLO, and one day a big bear was harassing a smaller bear and the old dear went out and tried to shoo away the big bear with her broom. The big bear was not amused and killed the old woman who'd been warned by rangers not to feed them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Right! That reminds me. I need to talk to the humane society and see if I can adopt/ relocate some black ferrets for this area.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 PM

9,969 posts, read 6,267,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, do have a chat with the woman. We followed a case in this forum of a woman who fed the bears for years, IIRC over on the western side of COLO, and one day a big bear was harassing a smaller bear and the old dear went out and tried to shoo away the big bear with her broom. The big bear was not amused and killed the old woman who'd been warned by rangers not to feed them.
Yes, those links to Donna Munson from the first page reminded me to step up my efforts to inform the woman. She and her husband just bought the cabin this spring. Until now, nobody has ever fed them in all my 30+ summers up here. I've decided to go up and talk to him this time, maybe he can talk some sense into her. The little bear she is trying to help out is pretty ratty looking and already has a tag in it's ear. Imho, she's signed it's death warrant.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:28 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,053,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Good neighbors use silencers.
Ha ha. I agree 100%.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,531,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yes, those links to Donna Munson from the first page reminded me to step up my efforts to inform the woman. She and her husband just bought the cabin this spring. Until now, nobody has ever fed them in all my 30+ summers up here. I've decided to go up and talk to him this time, maybe he can talk some sense into her. The little bear she is trying to help out is pretty ratty looking and already has a tag in it's ear. Imho, she's signed it's death warrant.
Or her own.

I have heaps of experience dealing with bears in the Vail Valley. In my opinion from what I have seen, once they get a taste and a source of human food, there is no turning back and they reach a point where they will get bold enough around people and have no issue with coming inside a home to get food.

Can't believe this woman is that stupid to be feeding wild bears.

WILDlife is wild and some people forget that. I think it's because they have seen so much hollywood pap that has humanized animals. Everyone loves those talking animal cartoons and movies don't they?

I personally believe that animals have their space and we have ours. I had a groundhog today that thought he'd make a home in my barn today while I was out shooting. Not a good move. I was more than happy to let him run around elsewhere, but not in the barn. No didn't plug him but gave him a good swat with a stick to get out and if he comes back, BOOM!.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Here's a good example from Boulder - idiots.

Hardcore Bambi. Looks kinda hip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or