U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,690,361 times

Advertisements

From the Mountain Mail: 2010
A malnourished male mountain lion entered a home off U.S. 285 about 9 miles northwest of Salida about 4 p.m. Thursday, killing one dog and briefly trapping a mother and two children inside.

They had a doggie door and the cat followed the dogs inside the house.
Note: Do not have a doggie door in the high country.

Last edited by proveick; 07-16-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 02:26 PM

14,500 posts, read 22,341,939 times
We don't let our cats outside ever because if the wildlife didn't get them, they would pick up a deadly disease from the rodents out there... precious endangered rodents. Besides that, it's irresponsible.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:34 PM

Perfect title to article: They were displaced - and came back. What do these people expect?
To move to another state? (shaking head in disbelief)
Displaced animals from wildfire are headache to homeowners | News - Home

Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
They were here before us and will be after us.
Yep.

We need more of these. Catnip anyone?

And we need more of the best singer-songwriters around (if you listen hard enough you'll pick up on the lyrics):

These are what we lost because we killed off every last one in Colorado. I'd snarl, too:

And if you INSIST on cute and fuzzy. Don't tell me that he's not cuter than that lethal killer, Bambi:

Attached Thumbnails
The wildlife were here first, you are in THEIR territory --cougar-leap.jpg   The wildlife were here first, you are in THEIR territory --coyote-howling-21377649.jpg   The wildlife were here first, you are in THEIR territory --angry-wolf-2.jpg   The wildlife were here first, you are in THEIR territory --coyote-pup-1-186ry27aqp-1600x1200.jpg  

Old 07-17-2013, 10:25 AM

346 posts, read 391,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
And yet Mule Deer populations in Colorado have been declining since the 1970s, mostly due to people "moving in" with them.

Colorado among states struggling to stop decline of mule deer herds - The Denver Post
Elk and whitetail deer don't seem to mind human encroachment all that much. Mule deer do. They also find exterior lighting especially pernicious.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:02 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,050,967 times
I say it again--WHO CARES what the wildlife like? If I live there, it's MY property. The elk, the deer, the lions, they don't pay taxes, they don't work their azz off to pay for the mortgage, their name isn't on the papers. MY name is, and I'M the one doing all of the work.

And I'm a human, they're an ANIMAL for pete's sake. WHO CARES what they think?

As long as they leave me alone, fine. The minute they trespass onto MY property and cause problems, it's "bang bang" and "shoot, shovel, shut up" as the response.

Maybe I chose to live in the woods because I don't like people with loud barking dogs and blaring music around me, I want it QUIET. Maybe I also want freedom from stupid homeowner's associations telling me what color I can paint my house or that I have to put a fence around my pool because some neighbor's kids supposedly just can't help but trespass onto my place to enjoy MY pool and then they drown & I'm supposedly liable for that. So I chose to live in the woods to escape all of that, it doesn't mean I'm inviting wildlife onto my place. They can enjoy the surrounding woods, but this plot of land is MINE. They may not know that, but that's their problem, not mine.

Look, I understand wildlife is beautiful. I understand they need to live somewhere. Heck, I don't even have a problem with just leaving it alone & enjoying it as it is for the most part. So long as it LEAVES ME ALONE, I'm totally okay with all of that. (Where I live, we have birds, deer & squirrels, they cause me no harm and I just let them do their thing as they are.) But I'll be darned if I'm going to go along with the idea that wildlife have more rights than me on my own property or in publicly-accessible hiking spots meant for my "getting out in the outdoors" pleasure. They do the same thing in AZ where I used to live, they have mountain lions and by George if you live outside of town you better supervise your kids every nanosecond they play outdoors in THEIR OWN YARD because of the lions. Not here: if such shows up, BANG BANG and the kids go right back to playing, because it's YOUR FREAKING YARD & no animal has more rights than a human of any age. It should be that way EVERYWHERE.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 07-24-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM

Nice to hear you're a human Larry.

Last edited by proveick; 07-24-2013 at 12:40 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,518,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
I say it again--WHO CARES what the wildlife like? If I live there, it's MY property. The elk, the deer, the lions, they don't pay taxes, they don't work their azz off to pay for the mortgage, their name isn't on the papers. MY name is, and I'M the one doing all of the work.

And I'm a human, they're an ANIMAL for pete's sake. WHO CARES what they think?

As long as they leave me alone, fine. The minute they trespass onto MY property and cause problems, it's "bang bang" and "shoot, shovel, shut up" as the response.

Maybe I chose to live in the woods because I don't like people with loud barking dogs and blaring music around me, I want it QUIET. Maybe I also want freedom from stupid homeowner's associations telling me what color I can paint my house or that I have to put a fence around my pool because some neighbor's kids supposedly just can't help but trespass onto my place to enjoy MY pool and then they drown & I'm supposedly liable for that. So I chose to live in the woods to escape all of that, it doesn't mean I'm inviting wildlife onto my place. They can enjoy the surrounding woods, but this plot of land is MINE. They may not know that, but that's their problem, not mine.

Look, I understand wildlife is beautiful. I understand they need to live somewhere. Heck, I don't even have a problem with just leaving it alone & enjoying it as it is for the most part. So long as it LEAVES ME ALONE, I'm totally okay with all of that. (Where I live, we have birds, deer & squirrels, they cause me no harm and I just let them do their thing as they are.) But I'll be darned if I'm going to go along with the idea that wildlife have more rights than me on my own property or in publicly-accessible hiking spots meant for my "getting out in the outdoors" pleasure. They do the same thing in AZ where I used to live, they have mountain lions and by George if you live outside of town you better supervise your kids every nanosecond they play outdoors in THEIR OWN YARD because of the lions. Not here: if such shows up, BANG BANG and the kids go right back to playing, because it's YOUR FREAKING YARD & no animal has more rights than a human of any age. It should be that way EVERYWHERE.

LRH
Grumpy old man, much?

That said, I don't entirely disagree. The fact is that it's legal to kill wildlife with a tag (and in some cases without) and they need culling. If my hunting grounds happen to be my own property and my motive is primarily to keep them out of my wife's flower garden, then so what? It's my right and it's perfectly ethical as long as I'm safe and responsible about it.

I'm seeing a lot of needless rancor on here. On the one hand, you have people that don't really understand much about wildlife management and think all animals are inherently beneficent and should roam uncontrolled because their species was here when the land was still truly wild (which is often not true anyways). On the other hand, you have people like Larry (above) who are totally ignorant and give conscientious outdoorsmen and landowners a bad name. Both groups need to take a step back and see the other side of the issue. Animals need to be controlled, especially in heavily populated areas. But they also need to be treated with respect and dignity, and any hunting or other culling of them needs to be done within the confines of the law.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:13 PM

11,628 posts, read 7,195,062 times
And seriously, my frustration wasn't with anyone shooting something that is on their own property...I mean really, even wild animals have the concept of "territory." As in, this is MY TERRITORY. I am visibly living here, it smells like me, and if you trespass you will DIE. Loads of wild critters live by that policy too. It's fair enough.

My issue is something like for instance, the ranchers in some states who freak out because they're not willing to wall off their property or contain the animals they own in any meaningful fashion, and the wolves that are rare and protected prey on their livestock, and instead of just trapping or shooting those who show up...they say, we have to slay every wolf in North America, eradicate them all permanently, because they are a nuisance to ranchers. And then of course the deer populations get completely out of control, because nothing is eating them, and unless we go out of our way to kill the ever-lovin' heck out of the herds, they overpopulate, starve, get ill/inbred, and die horribly, not to mention what happens when car meets deer on our roads. So...which is the bigger nuisance? The one we set out to solve or the one we created? I draw the line somewhere outside of protecting one's home turf but inside of wholesale extermination in the wild. And I don't agree that woodland trails should be free of any and all potentially dangerous wildlife. If we're talking about the city park, that's one thing. But National Forest parks? Nope, sorry. There should be some places left in the world where animals have rights that trump the human visitors'.

As for "who cares, they're just animals"....I'd say that given the millions of dollars collected and handled by various conservation groups worldwide, plenty of people care. Just an observation.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
When man first arrived in the Americas after the ancestors of today's Native Americans crossed the Bering Strait, quite a few species were hunted to extinction. However, by the time European settlers finally made it to America, ecosystems had become balanced again and mankind was much more in harmony with the natural world than he is now. The latest human immigrants to arrive in the "New" World from Europe took care of THAT. We forget or never knew that we are a PART of nature, not the RULERS of nature. If we kill off all the predators, we are going to be subjected to plagues of rodent pests like prairie dogs and herds of deer on the highway. Kill off all the grazing animals and the forests will turn into impenetrable thickets and the grasslands in some places will grow so tall that you have to cut your way through with a machete.

Mr. txeast doesn't like noise, so he shoots all those birds that wake him up in the morning at his "country" McMansion. Then he wonders at the sudden plague of bugs all over, so he sprays insecticide everywhere three times a day. Not only do all the flowering plants in the vicinity become scarce due to a lack of natural pollinators, all the fish in his ponds and streams die from the resulting continual runoff of lethal poisons into the waterways. Mr. txeast's neighbors need not be 20 feet away from his boundary line - a mile or even 20 miles will do - and the insects now eating his neighbors' gardens down to the last stem were once kept in check by those same birds that Mr. txeast did away with and the fish in the streams running past his neighbor's places die by the thousands, as well. A little pesticide goes a long way. But it's Mr. txeast's place and he can do as he pleases.

At least until a bunch of East Texas farmers who have been working the land since before Mr. txeast was a gleam in his Daddy's eye show up with their coonhounds and 12 guages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or