U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,025 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies all. This obviously requires a lot more research and might not even be feasible at our stage of life right now. I suppose a lot of people end up in the Denver metro region even though they might want a smaller town life just due to jobs availability.

There seems to be some conflicting reports about IT jobs availability, I will keep checking the listings in the areas to see if anything pops up. Currently there are 0 IT anything listed within 30 miles of Durango on Monster.com, but yet there is 25-30+ just in Littleton with no radius into Denver.

I've been to Montrose a few times now and the city size and amount of services around seems just right to me. I've never been to Durango but plan to take a week trip down there next year. It looks like from the #s anyway that Durango and Montrose are somewhat similar size towns.

Lack of a major airport would probably be another issue and would add likely 150-200$ to any flight of a good distance. "Cheap" flights from Denver to Durango only seem like $133-150.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Fun View Post
"Cheap" flights from Denver to Durango only seem like $133-150.

Thanks
Frontier has a special going right now with $48 one way flights from DRO-DIA. return segment is $70. The bargain DRO-DIA fares are pretty common and are available 6-8 times a year. Out of DRO, you have daily connections thru DIA (United & Frontier), DFW (American), and PHX (US Airways).

Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,849,592 times
CO_Fun wrote: "Cheap" flights

Anyone using the words cheap and flight in the same sentence these days is the sign of an optimist.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:16 PM

284 posts, read 618,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Fun View Post

I've been to Montrose a few times now and the city size and amount of services around seems just right to me. I've never been to Durango but plan to take a week trip down there next year. It looks like from the #s anyway that Durango and Montrose are somewhat similar size towns.

Thanks
Based on the city proper populations, yes. Montrose actually has a larger city population by a little bit. But, when you factor in the population of La Plata County (Durango) vs. that of Montrose County, La Plata County has about 10,000 more people than Montrose County

Old 01-22-2014, 11:39 AM

2,147 posts, read 4,333,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
I will throw my 2 cents in for a couple of your questions:

1. Is it possible to get a professional IT job in Durango or Montrose? Highly doubtful, would your current employer allow you to telecommute? If so, then high speed internet availability would be a factor.
2. Does anyone familiar or living in those areas think a cupcake/coffee shop would even be successful there? I don't live in either but am very familiar with both areas. Montrose I really doubt it. Durango also doubtful but maybe a little better than Montrose. I imagine costs (store front rent and also housing) will be a huge challenge in Durango. I don't see the market there being able to support another coffee shop. You also need to consider if this whole fancy cupcake thing has durability or if it's more of a trend. My money would be on the latter.
3. Are there any other cities to consider? Grand Junction would be a logical choice but we aren't really a huge fan of Grand Junction, would consider if nothing else was available.
Great responses! Also: 'This whole fancy cupcake thing'...LOL. Very funny and true....

Old 01-22-2014, 03:42 PM

4,703 posts, read 4,343,073 times
If you check out the housing in Durango, you may go into a coma from sticker shock. Rents and home prices are so high there that Durango is beginning to approach such resort towns as Telluride or Aspen in affordability (or lack there-of). By contrast, most employers pay low wages that don't even begin to cover the high cost of living in La Plata County.

Also, the Four Corners often feels more like New Mexico than Colorado. The local cable companies carry the ABQ news shows - not Denver's, not even Grand Junction's. As someone else mentioned, everyone goes to Farmington or ABQ to make major purchases or shop at big box stores like Sam's Club. Downtown Durango is pretty much dedicated to the tourist trade and I suppose a cupcake store might make it there - hard to say. But you'd better have a good enough nest egg to see you through the first year after the shop is launched. The price you'll pay for retail space alone is not exactly cheap. In its favor, Durango does have plenty of recreational opportunities near-by and it is in a pretty setting.

Montrose is much more liveable for the average person than Durango is. I believe its population is closer to 20,000 than it is 15,000, but Jim is right about the availability of supermarkets and a Walmart, etc. there. I doubt that a cup cake store would make it in Montrose since most people who live there are working stiffs who lack both the money and the interest to indulge in whatever food is the latest rage. A good old, down home bakery would stand a better chance. Montrose is in the center of all sorts of great places to go enjoy the out-of-doors: the Uncomphaghre Plateau, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Land's End, etc.,etc.,etc.

Keep in mind that the Western Slope is like an entirely different state from what you have experienced on the Front Range. Plus, there's going to be a certain amount of culture shock going from a metro area of one million plus to a small remote town of only 15,000 - 20,000. Many of the amenities people take for granted in a major urban area just aren't going to be there in a small town.

I agree with those who have suggested that you seek out a smaller town on the Front Range. You stand a better chance of finding the things you want closer to a city like Denver or even Colorado Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or