U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-01-2013, 02:46 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,103 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am new to these forums and am looking for some reassurance/experience/advice. I am moving to the Pueblo area from Missouri in the next few days. My fiance lives in the area (south of Pueblo actually, but Pueblo is the largest nearby town). I have to admit, I am nervous about the area itself, coming from a place with alot of green grass and trees. Pueblo (and well, from what I have seen up and down I-25) is dry, desert land and it's something I'm not quite used to. I haven't seen much of the town of Pueblo itself, aside from Target/Wal-Mart, the mall, etc. so I may be forming the wrong opinion. It just seems to me that Pueblo is a little bit on the ghetto side. Am I wrong? The area I live in Missouri is for the most part clean and asthetically pleasing - not to say we don't have our share of run down neighborhoods but so far that's about all I've seen of Pueblo. It's truly a good thing I love my fiance because otherwise, I'm not sure I would choose to live there on my own accord. Can anyone help me out? I'm a stay at home mom with 3 young kids. I like to get involved in playgroups, etc. Anyone know if that exists out there? Tell me something great about Pueblo!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,174 posts, read 20,971,833 times
Reputation: 4258
Start looking at some of these threads on Pueblo. If you then have any questions feel free to ask!

Pueblo - General Info

Pueblo, CO, Downtown and RiverWalk -- PHOTO TOUR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 10:09 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,505 posts, read 22,361,359 times
Reputation: 13811
My wife and I used to vacation in Branson Missouri until she trusted me enough to introduce her to other places like SoCal, NoCal, the Oregon coast, The ATL and the Smokies. We miss the trees and greenery too, but we have family here and that's that.

I like greenery and trees and even humidity during less extreme times of the year... oceans etc. But you can't eat them.

I've come to love the southwest and it's delicate ecosystem, the change of seasons, etc.

I'm wondering where south of Pueblo you're looking at living. If it's Colorado City/Rye/San Isabel area, then that's a win win for you. Good scenery... greener less hot and more snow than Pueblo... and MUCH better schooling for the kids.

If you're gonna check out Pueblo, you've got to A) stay away from Walmart, the Mall etc., go down Elizabeth and Grand and Santa Fe ave over to the Riverwalk area, over to the Union District area, maybe down Northern west to the south side area, check out some of the mom n pop type places out here and get a better idea of Pueblo.

But no, Pueblo County is not your pretty rich over-crowded place like up the front range from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins.

The only other place for decent schooling in Pueblo County is Pueblo West (growing burb of Pueblo with a nice reservoir) and the Mesa with County High school and some irrigated farmland along the Arkansas River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,103 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

I'm wondering where south of Pueblo you're looking at living. If it's Colorado City/Rye/San Isabel area, then that's a win win for you. Good scenery... greener less hot and more snow than Pueblo... and MUCH better schooling for the kids.
The kids will go to school in Rye. Technically, our house is in Colorado City but for whatever reason the mailing address is Rye. But I have heard the schools are much better out there and I'm very thankful for that.

And thank you for your other insights into Pueblo. My opinion is basically formed by the view driving down I-25 and like you said, around Wal-Mart, the mall, etc. This is my last week in Missouri - officially moving Saturday so I'm anxious to really get to check it all out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Where the mountains touch the sky
606 posts, read 734,436 times
Reputation: 1004
Few places look very appealing from the interstate/highway. Pueblo has some very nice areas.

Take Salida for example, if you just cruise through on Highway 50 the town looks like a boring commercial strip and you would miss one of the best preserved historic downtown districts in the state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio area
1 posts, read 1,465 times
Reputation: 10
I am a semi retired prof. I am looking to spend one month in Pueblo to research on community renewal/economic development possibilities. I would need a room to rent by the week. Any suggestions or possibilities? The community follow up will depend on my findings. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,174 posts, read 20,971,833 times
Reputation: 4258
That sounds like a interesting research project. In terms of where to live I'm not sure. I know of a few places that are by the week but I'm not sure how nice they are......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2013, 12:05 AM
 
Location: high plains
493 posts, read 702,415 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfaninchofwater View Post
I am a semi retired prof. I am looking to spend one month in Pueblo to research on community renewal/economic development possibilities. I would need a room to rent by the week. Any suggestions or possibilities? The community follow up will depend on my findings. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.
I found that the Pueblo Rodeway Inn west of the I25/US50 intersection is a good weekly rent deal for $199 plus tax. $720 for a month. non-smoking and smoking rooms. three floors with elevator. restaurant and Jack inthe Box next door with loads of other stuff in the immediate area. manager and clerks are nice. no bedbugs. air conditioners work. microwave and minifrig in 3rd floor rooms. free coffee in the office. slightly stale danish, toast and oj each morning as the "continental breakfast". lmited selection of cabletv channels (incl 2 HBO's, one PBS, multiple ESPN's). don't book through ChoiceHotels.com. to get the $199 rate, call the office directly. (719) 583-0333
Easy access to nice north/south Elizabeth St. to go into town, avoiding I25 and seeing some interesting old neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
302 posts, read 773,608 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by fina477 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new to these forums and am looking for some reassurance/experience/advice. I am moving to the Pueblo area from Missouri in the next few days. My fiance lives in the area (south of Pueblo actually, but Pueblo is the largest nearby town). I have to admit, I am nervous about the area itself, coming from a place with alot of green grass and trees. Pueblo (and well, from what I have seen up and down I-25) is dry, desert land and it's something I'm not quite used to. I haven't seen much of the town of Pueblo itself, aside from Target/Wal-Mart, the mall, etc. so I may be forming the wrong opinion. It just seems to me that Pueblo is a little bit on the ghetto side. Am I wrong? The area I live in Missouri is for the most part clean and asthetically pleasing - not to say we don't have our share of run down neighborhoods but so far that's about all I've seen of Pueblo. It's truly a good thing I love my fiance because otherwise, I'm not sure I would choose to live there on my own accord. Can anyone help me out? I'm a stay at home mom with 3 young kids. I like to get involved in playgroups, etc. Anyone know if that exists out there? Tell me something great about Pueblo!

Thanks!

Some of it is kind of ghetto, I guess. Especially the East side and what is known as "dogpatch". I've been here a couple years and have still not adjusted to how ugly that is.

Pueblo West is very nice. Good 180 view of the mountain range out towards canon city, plus a bunch of upscale homes and businesses with plenty of space between them. Reasonable costs of living, too; you can rent a two bedroom townhouse out there for as little as $695 a month or so. Not too much green in the Pueblo area, but Pueblo West does have it's own type of beauty that you will recognize right away.

If you're looking for some good schools for your kids try the following:

The Connect (very hard to get into)
Pueblo School for the Arts and Sciences
Swallows Charter Academy
Just about any school in Pueblo West (Skyview and PW High School are supposed to be really good)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 AM
 
Location: The 719
14,505 posts, read 22,361,359 times
Reputation: 13811
How about McClelland K through 8?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top