U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,288 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I want to move to Colorado, but we're coming from Virginia and are sick of the city. At the same time we realize it would be insanely inconvenient to live in the middle of no where with the closest wal-mart being an hour or more away. We also have a dog who has had to live in a small apartment since she was a puppy and would love to be able to get her a big yard to run in. Where would be a good area near a city that would still give us that space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 04:21 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,449,703 times
Brighton

Old 07-03-2013, 05:04 PM

4,884 posts, read 9,634,290 times
Are you going to be looking for jobs when you relocate? I'm assuming that the answer would be "yes", which will definitely limit your housing choices. The very first thing we tell anyone who asks is to find the job first, then look for where to live.

As you will find from reading through the many helpful threads here, most work will be in the Front Range cities of Ft. Collins, Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs, or Pueblo. Each of those cities are large enough and spread out enough that living somewhat close to where you work becomes very important.

Once you find jobs, then we can certainly give you some advise on where to look for housing in your price range and with your other criteria. BTW, the rental market is crazy right now.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,430,211 times
I'll second what Dreaming of Hawaii stated. I also want to add that country life in Colorado has a much different meaning than Virginia. While you can find that country life, with a little plot of land within relative proximity to many urban areas on the east coast for an affordable price, it's much more difficult in Colorado. Many of the rural suburbs of Colorado, with acreage and space away from the city, are insanely expensive. To get that country feel with some acreage will require you to move far away from the Front Range, and then you will struggle with the issue of jobs, conveniences, etc. It will help to know what your budget is, your requirements for work, and your definition of country living.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,026,414 times
Wink Wally World mountain high

If you chose to live in Frisco you could have Walmart just around the corner and a short walk, and as well lots of paths and trails right from your doorstep for yourself and your puppy to explore and enjoy.

Lots to recommend it—and simple if you show up with lots of cash in hand. If not, then practicalities intercede and, as many do, you may find the simplest course is to live along the Front Range (i.e. Denver and greater environs north and south of it).

One can still have a happy dog on the Front Range, and many do. Within greater suburbia there are lots of parks, bike paths and so on. Moreover, one may discover they are not particularly keen on living and wintering over in Summit County at nearly 10,000 feet. That would be about twice the elevation of Denver. So another reason, in it being relatively temperate weather wise by Colorado standards, that so many prefer the Front Range.

But, one could live in the mountains—and have a Walmart nearby.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 PM

75 posts, read 106,009 times
What are the job requirements? Budget?

Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 AM

18 posts, read 19,643 times
I am in a similar situation. We live in northern VA, but have tried to move as far out as possible, but stay within a reasonable commuting distance from the DC metro area. We are looking to relocate to Colorado, and I am doing my own research about where the best place would be. Do you have the chance to take a trip out there and drive around a little to look at the areas? Even with trips west in previous years, my husband and I are planning to take a trip out later this month for real estate-specific purposes. Some things you just can't see/feel from a photograph.

Living in the western fringe of NOVA, I can tell you to be careful what you wish for. We moved from a townhome farther west to get away from the clogged cookie cutter development, but it comes with a price. Longer commute (this can really suck the time out of your day), crappy internet service (and we are in Loudoun County), bugs galore (we are not bothered by them, but there are a number of insects that can do bad things to your house, and it is amazing how quickly they will invade if you are not taking preventative measures), and wear and tear on your vehicles/extra cost of a longer commute. Having a yard seemed like a great idea, until we had to do all of the landscaping to take care of it. It takes money and time to do even basic landscaping. Of course, if you are renting, it probably wouldn't be such a concern, as you would't be doing most of the maintenance yourself.

The things you should consider:
1. What kind of jobs are you looking to get- what are the prospects for that job in the area(s) you are looking in?
2. How long are you willing to drive to get to work?
3. What amenities do you want near your home- what do you want within walking distance, and how far are you willing to drive to get to the closest grocery store, Target, gym, etc?
4. How much yard do you want/need for a pet? We have two dogs on at least one cleared acre, and it is plenty.
5. How much do you want to spend per month on rent? Are you looking to eventually purchase, or just staying temporarily to see if you like the area?
6. What is more important to you- scenery or amenities nearby? Are you willing to lose some scenery to have things closer to where you live? Denver metro is covered with parks, including a surprising number of dog parks. I am not a fan of Denver myself, but it is nice to know there are other options for outdoors recreation within the metro area.

Just some thoughts from one east coast refugee to another. Sounds like you are younger, so I thought I would share some of the wisdom I have learned from my relocation attempts. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:33 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,840,308 times
With amazon prime, you don't need a wally word close by

Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 PM

397 posts, read 589,542 times
What kind of "country" are you looking for? Farm land? Or just more space (less densely populated) than the metro area? If cow country isn't your thing, you might look into Morrison, Kittredge, Indian Hills, and Conifer. All of those areas are within an easy driving distance of metro Denver while giving you the space that you are seeking.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 AM

9,412 posts, read 18,267,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post
What are the job requirements? Budget?
Well with budget out of the discussion, if they want close enough to the city in an area where suburban transitions into semi rural exurbs I'd go with Franktown (just south of Parker). Zoned to 2+ acre lots all over town with plenty of space and elbow room, rolling green grasslands with front range and distant city views, close to Black Forest but not right in the thick of it, trophy homes and modest homes, it's a pinnacle of success in Douglas County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or