U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:04 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,449,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I have a question about the new marijuana laws that will go into effect in January 2014 when the retail stores open. If one doesn't live in Colorado, but wants to go to Colorado to buy and smoke marijuana within the borders of the state, will that be legal? In other words, will you have to have a Colorado drivers license to buy marijuana or will an out of state license do?
The amendment allows for POSSESSION of up to 1 ounce anywhere in the state. However, don't think you can just walk around in public SMOKING a joint. As for BUYING it, that is where the legislature comes in. As of right now they haven't decided how exactly this will go down. I highly doubt they would limit purchase to only those with CO license, but who knows with this congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 PM

20,857 posts, read 39,095,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
The amendment allows for POSSESSION of up to 1 ounce anywhere in the state. However, don't think you can just walk around in public SMOKING a joint. As for BUYING it, that is where the legislature comes in. As of right now they haven't decided how exactly this will go down. I highly doubt they would limit purchase to only those with CO license, but who knows with this congress.
With MJ so easily available coast to coast and wall to wall, I just can't figure out why anyone would want to travel to CO or WA to score a nickel bag of the stuff. Nickel bag? Am I showing my age?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:23 PM

2,042 posts, read 3,622,102 times
just can't imagine people from out of state coming to buy MMJ ~ they will have to use and wait to come down BEFORE they leave the state. Just because you can use here didn't make the next door state allow you to possess.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:35 PM

599 posts, read 833,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
just can't imagine people from out of state coming to buy MMJ ~ they will have to use and wait to come down BEFORE they leave the state. Just because you can use here didn't make the next door state allow you to possess.
There have already been reports of people with Colorado plates being stopped and searched in Utah, Nebraska, and as far away as Illinois since the medical cannabis initiatives. A Honda Civic with mountain bikes on the rack heading to Moab is like a red flag for the Utah state patrol. I absolutely believe that carloads of college students (with Illinois or California plates) on their way back to college from a Colorado ski vacation will be nailed in Ogalla or Grand Island, NE or Hays, KS or Green River, UT for a "safety check" involving dogs and searches come January 1. Count on it.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:36 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Nickel bag? Am I showing my age?
Yes....... I remember the days when I could pay $5 for a nickel bag.

Nowadays, everybody talks in terms of eighths, quarters, halves, & whole ounces. Grams are a more accurate measurement with 28 grams to an ounce.

I believe that non-residents can purchase up to a quarter ounce in a single purchase as outlined in this article:

Colorado's Limit on Pot Purchases by Nonresidents

Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 PM

15,263 posts, read 12,047,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
There have already been reports of people with Colorado plates being stopped and searched in Utah, Nebraska, and as far away as Illinois since the medical cannabis initiatives. A Honda Civic with mountain bikes on the rack heading to Moab is like a red flag for the Utah state patrol. I absolutely believe that carloads of college students (with Illinois or California plates) on their way back to college from a Colorado ski vacation will be nailed in Ogalla or Grand Island, NE or Hays, KS or Green River, UT for a "safety check" involving dogs and searches come January 1. Count on it.
Reports? I'll say!!!! I know 2 guys...one a black professor in a Subaru
in Kansas...he allowed the cop
to go ahead and search and open anything, even his laptop...he did get
a ticket for speeding even tho he cooperated like crazy.
And my hippie looking friend coming from Calif to CO...stopped for changing lanes without signalling, he did tho,
he was searched mercilessly...they missed a joint in a McDonalds bag
ruppled on the floor.

Almost anyone fits the profile.....!!!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:51 AM

493 posts, read 702,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Yes....... I remember the days when I could pay $5 for a nickel bag.

Nowadays, everybody talks in terms of eighths, quarters, halves, & whole ounces. Grams are a more accurate measurement with 28 grams to an ounce.

I believe that non-residents can purchase up to a quarter ounce in a single purchase as outlined in this article:

Colorado's Limit on Pot Purchases by Nonresidents
i remember $5 matchboxes (about an eighth), $20 lids (ounce), $100 ki's (one kilo, usually a compressed brick) and $300 twist-tie trash bags. usually low quality from mexico. sometimes higher quality acapulco gold or panama red (may or may not have been) from california. sometimes manicured (removal of seeds/stems), usually not. matchboxes had to be manicured to get it into the box. then came sensimilla. rumors of kansas grows and back country texas grows. everybody knew the local narcs, so they had to be imported in the guise of new kids in school or somebody's visiting cousin. everybody from out of town was suspected. now, the old-timers have lost all their old contacts and are frozen out of the young subcultures. have to get their red cards and/or grow their own from overseas seed orders (mostly just b.s. burns) since it is all seedless. thanks to CO and WA, the future is much brighter now. don't need cars to travel and too old to drive anyway, but
watch out for those walmart rascal carts and sidewalk golf carts. 'de be fun, yo!

Last edited by highplainsrus; 07-11-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 07:41 AM

666 posts, read 1,038,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is completely f'd up and wrong. THIS is what more people should be worried about than someone smoking a joint.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 AM

74 posts, read 312,949 times
People will have to use their common sense when they travel outside Colorado and cross into a neighboring state or either coast by car or plane. Until marijuana is removed from the federal controlled substance act it's better to ere on the side of utilizing good judgement instead of risking a long-term jail sentence in another state.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 AM

13,297 posts, read 25,491,832 times
A friend in Utah was talking about going to CO to buy MJ and said "But I'd probably get caught coming back into Utah and can't take that chance."
Right. This law is a mess, regardless of how one feels about MJ being legal or medicinal. I personally just wanna see all the taxes collected in any state and used to fix bridges and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado