U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Corona
10,066 posts, read 13,966,901 times
Reputation: 8902

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'd think it will be hard to regulate marijuana when you consider how easy it will be for people to grow their own. What is the legal age for smoking? How do you keep people under the legal age from just smoking weed that they've grown? Since it can be grown access to marijuana will still be easier to get in comparison to alchohol.
They best way to regulate it is making it so cheap there is no motive to grow it. People I know with red cards say it's so damn cheap why grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2013, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Farmington AR
19 posts, read 25,707 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
In my honest opinion the counties or cities that have put a ban on commercial sales should not reap any of the benefits from the tax revenue based on sales elsewhere.
Oh I completely agree. We are moving to FoCo next spring and I hope that they benefit from the revenue if they decide to allow. I'm neither here nor there about having recreation shops in FoCo, but I am definitely all for the city reaping the benefits of the taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Farmington AR
19 posts, read 25,707 times
Reputation: 35
I think the shops will likely stay open for the convenience factor. There are several reasons that people won't grow. If you lease in a place that doesn't allow it and most rentals do not, you can't grow. Some people have a green thumb and some don't. Not that I know anything about it, and I personally have no desire to grow...but I do have a black thumb and I can't even keep a cactus alive lol. Also families and parents with older children in the home. Some parents feel that you shouldn't leave your bar open when you have a group of teens around (and they are always in groups). And just like alcohol, they feel that MJ is for adults and you shouldn't leave your MJ out. And it would be awfully complicated to lock up a plant vs. locking up a brownie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 AM
 
1,059 posts, read 1,636,221 times
Reputation: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How do you keep people under the legal age from just smoking weed that they've grown?
If underage people wanted to grow it before, nothing was stopping them. The change in laws has no impact on this whatsoever anymore than prohibition has an effect on usage nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Corona
10,066 posts, read 13,966,901 times
Reputation: 8902
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
If underage people wanted to grow it before, nothing was stopping them. The change in laws has no impact on this whatsoever anymore than prohibition has an effect on usage nationwide.
I would agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,764 posts, read 16,846,559 times
Reputation: 9316
DurangoJoe wrote: If underage people wanted to grow it before, nothing was stopping them. The change in laws has no impact on this whatsoever anymore than prohibition has an effect on usage nationwide.

Good point, that the anti MJ folks conveniently ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 AM
 
Location: The 719
14,505 posts, read 22,361,359 times
Reputation: 13811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
If it weren't for the fact that my job were so closely tied to my federal CDL, I would be smoking garbage bags of it. So much better for you than alcohol. Alas, I cannot, so therefore I have to make up the difference with beer.
Orly? So are you saying that you drink the equivalent of garbage bags full of beer? What's that called? 30 packs? Or do you limit your intake so you can drive to and function at work the next day? If so, that's called control.

As to growing weed... way back in about 91 or so, I was to spend Thanksgiving at my then girlfriend's parents home as her folks were out of town and we had the place to ourselves. Guess what I had growing in my closet? Some good stuff started from Indica seed. It harvested and we had a wonderful Thanksgiving. It took me about 8 months to grow that little serving.

Think of how much hootch a guy could make in a given month.

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-28-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
3,111 posts, read 4,887,657 times
Reputation: 5429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
If underage people wanted to grow it before, nothing was stopping them. The change in laws has no impact on this whatsoever anymore than prohibition has an effect on usage nationwide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I would agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Good point, that the anti MJ folks conveniently ignore.
Laws cannot change behavior. They enumerate behaviors that society does not condone, and then they set consequences for people who engage in such behavior.

The argument that a law is useless unless it is 100% effective in prohibiting behavior is a straw man argument. That argument could be made for all laws passed.

"Laws making people stop at stop signs are ignored by a lot of people, so we should get rid of stop signs."

"Law prohibiting killing haven't stopped people from murdering so we should abolish them."

Laws allow society to punish those who break them. People who break the laws are taking a risk every time they do so. They may get away with it 9 times out of 10, but they cry like babies when they finally are caught.

Underage people should be stopped from growing by their parents. If they aren't then there is a parenting problem.

Truth is, these laws are going to increase accessibility to young people as marijuana is easy to hide. The problem is going to be that marijuana is not as harmless as proponents make it out to be. There is strong evidence that marijuana negatively affects the brain development of teens, it can cause higher incidence of children born with developmental problems, and it can cause breathing/respiratory problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:12 PM
 
3,103 posts, read 2,838,843 times
Reputation: 4029
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
There is strong evidence that marijuana negatively affects the brain development of teens, it can cause higher incidence of children born with developmental problems, and it can cause breathing/respiratory problems.
Don't forget it will kill you if you drop ~ 500lb on your head.

Then there's the children. Must think of the children. They will die with ~100-200lb dropped on their head.

Babies are even more at risk with as little as ~80lb dropped on their head, causing brain injuries. Yes that's right, marijuana causes brain injuries in infants.

This garbage about it being harmless? That's just what the pot heads want you to believe.

Also let's not forget about the monkeys. Let's think of the monkeys. If you strap on a gas mask to a monkey, cut off it's supply of oxygen and then feed it nothing but THC, the money will get brain damage. This is FACT. Pot heads always like to forget that one.

The Truth About The Monkey Study That Says Marijuana Kills Brain Cells - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:19 PM
 
3,103 posts, read 2,838,843 times
Reputation: 4029
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Laws cannot change behavior. They enumerate behaviors that society does not condone, and then they set consequences for people who engage in such behavior.

The argument that a law is useless unless it is 100% effective in prohibiting behavior is a straw man argument. That argument could be made for all laws passed.

"Laws making people stop at stop signs are ignored by a lot of people, so we should get rid of stop signs."

"Law prohibiting killing haven't stopped people from murdering so we should abolish them."

Laws allow society to punish those who break them. People who break the laws are taking a risk every time they do so. They may get away with it 9 times out of 10, but they cry like babies when they finally are caught.
Those crimes, unlike the possession of Cannabis, are not victimless crimes.

Murder and behaviors that endangers others (blowing a stop sign) have been considered immoral & law breaking since time began. Using cannabis has only been a crime since the early 1900's.

Now who's the straw man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top