U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,934,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Colorado income in 2012 was Per capita personal income in Colorado was $45,135, according to the report.

Read more: Average state personal income in Colorado grew 3.9 percent in 2012 - The Denver Post Average state personal income in Colorado grew 3.9 percent in 2012 - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Really wish they would post median and stop using that average. As far as stats go, average is generally useless for any diverse population. Did no one at the post learn things in their statistics course?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 03:58 PM

26 posts, read 34,970 times
The income is his and mine combined... The reason for the lower priced home is because I do not want to buy a home that I cannot support on his or my income alone. My project will eventually end and i just want to be safe until I find something more "permanent" in the area that I choose to buy.

I am actually thinking that I may just rent for a little while until I can find out more about all of the areas first hand and make an informed decision on where to buy.

I will take your advice and check out the Broomfield since it is close to the airport and accessible to the city. I am certainly open to any other suggestions anyone has to offer.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
House budget to personal income is a complete mismatch.

That aside, the only city that would be an option for the OP is Denver. CS is not the same as it's reputation, but someone fooled by the reputation without checking into it probably wouldn't fit well. Since CS and Denver are your options with airports, that makes it clear. Outlying areas around Denver may occasionally offer lower priced homes. Something needed on a 200k budget, but not on a 150k salary.

Perhaps I should not have jumped to conclusions about Colorado Springs. I have to say that my experience there was a good one for the most part. I recently watched an Aeriel America on Colorado. It talked about all of the churches in Colorado Springs and I must admit that it put me off some. Having grown up in such a religious area, that is just one thing I would like to get away from if at all possible.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 20 days ago)

10,883 posts, read 29,313,834 times
I'd point to south Aurora, Centennial, Broomfield, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, maybe Parker.

Your budget is low for the area, but you'd have 2 years to find your piece of paradise.

You should factor in that interest rates are climbing and so are housing & rental prices.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:42 PM

811 posts, read 1,224,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwallace78 View Post
Perhaps I should not have jumped to conclusions about Colorado Springs. I have to say that my experience there was a good one for the most part. I recently watched an Aeriel America on Colorado. It talked about all of the churches in Colorado Springs and I must admit that it put me off some. Having grown up in such a religious area, that is just one thing I would like to get away from if at all possible.
Of the 20-30 families we know in our immediate Colorado Springs neighborhood, my wife and are are among probably 4-5 families that go to church. Nearly everybody we know in Colorado Springs are upper-middle-class humanist/athiests who think it's rather quaint we actually go to a church and believe in God and stuff. "Everybody we know" is a small sample size, but it illustrates a larger point, which is that "Colorado Springs is populatd entirely by religious wackos" is just pure balderdash and a malicious stereotype of the worst sort. Three of the top ten performing public school districts in Colorado are in El Paso County (District 12, 38, and 20), and most of the others among the top ten are tiny rural districts. Colorado Springs has (had) a couple high-profile Christian fundamentalist attention seekers, one of whom has retired and the other of whom was effectively outed (on multiple levels).

Go ahead and move to Broomfield, but the Colorado Springs I've lived in for the past decade is basically no more and no less "religious" than any of the three other medium-large cities I've lived in in my life, including Denver. Come to think of it, we had a FAR higher percentage of "religious" friends/acquaintances in Denver than in Colorado Springs. I imagine I could write 10,000 variations of this post and it won't matter one bit in changing anybody's opinion, all because Dobson went on CNN back in the 1990's and called Tinky-Winky gay (or was it Sponge Bob?) and so all 600K people in a gorgeous city are intollerant religious nuts, instead of just the few who actually are!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,934,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwallace78 View Post
I know the feeling. I lived in some areas that were very heavy handed in forcing their routines on outsiders. There are a large number of churches here, but I have not witnessed the forced assimilation that I saw in small towns. We are not all Dr. Dobson

Last edited by lurtsman; 07-08-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know that I believe we have decided to go to Broomfield. I have looked at houses in the area as well as the schools and it really seems like a great option for us. I also like the fact that it is in between Denver and Boulder....

So, any way. My man just got approved for a home on his income alone and we should be coming to check everything out sometime in August...

Thanks so much for your input...

Please let me know if any one has any further suggestions for us This has been greatly appreciated.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,519,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
CS is not the same as it's reputation, but someone fooled by the reputation without checking into it probably wouldn't fit well.
That is a very succinct comment, and true. However, if the OP is coming from the 'Bible Belt' and wants basically the polar opposite, then COS is not that. In that case, probably Boulder or someplace in Northern California would be a better fit, but it generally takes you away from the 'Affordability' part of the triangle that McGowdog listed. Living around a lot of hardcore left-wingers has its own annoyances anyways.

It sounds like a moot point anyways because it looks like the OP has already decided on Broomfield. I don't know a whole lot about that place, but it seems like good choice based on the criteria.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 AM

14,498 posts, read 22,345,330 times
I think they will easily be able to afford Broomfield, it's very close to Boulder without being too close, has access to much of what the Front Range has to offer, great access to good schools, great access to the airport, good shopping etc.

Isn't Monarch High School out there?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:51 PM

222 posts, read 368,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Family-friendly costs money or is out in the toolies.
Toolies are good! Nothing wrong with the toolies in Colorado! Room to play and explore for kids, creeks to play in during summer, hot springs for winter, the neighbors know your kids, so they help keep an eye on 'em. And the schools are good in some of the towns. My fave is Carbondale, outside of Aspen, but CO is full of kid- and family-friendly burglets. Fishing, horse riding, hiking, wholesome stuff. Low crime compared to the big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or