Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

Anywhere in the San Luis Valley should do the trick. Maybe camp a night at the Sand Dunes. Freeman Reservoir in Moffat County is also decent, but there's forest aplenty up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
I have pretty close to zero light pollution at my house (maybe 2-3 lights in 360 degs). I'm not into astronomy, but I do enjoy watching the stars before the moon appears. Shooting stars are epic up here, sometimes I can see one every few mins.

A fresh blanket of snow and a full moon is pretty cool too.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:46 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I recall being up in Summit County, at a resort near Grand Lake, back in the sticks, clear night, never saw so many stars.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
About 8 years ago I took my in laws to Mesa Verde. We stayed in the lodge there & my father in law was amazed at how clear the milky way was. It was truly beautiful!

I've always enjoyed the stars in the Utah portion of the Colorado Plateau. Pariah canyon was exceptional!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,709 times
Any good spots outside Colorado Springs for the meteor shower this weekend? I was thinking wilkerson pass, but not sure if that is still too close to the lights or not.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:35 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Default The darkness at Great Sand Dunes National Park now internationally recognized

Are you a star gazer?

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2019/...y-park/214974/

"A southern Colorado destination for star gazers for decades, the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve has been recognized as an International Dark Sky Park.

Great Sand Dunes joins three other national park sites in Colorado and about two dozen national parks around the country in being designated International Dark Sky Parks, the National Park Service said in a Thursday news release.

“It’s no surprise that Great Sand Dunes has been building a reputation for good night sky viewing,” said Pamela Rice, park superintendent, in the release. “The dry air, high elevation, and lack of light pollution all make the park an ideal dark-sky destination. We are thrilled with receiving this recognition as an International Dark Sky Park.”

The designation, by the International Dark-Sky Association, recognizes the park, northeast of Alamosa, for its efforts and commitments to preserving “the exceptional quality of its dark night skies,” the release stated.

Established in 1932 as the Great Sand Dunes National Monument, the park is home to the tallest dunes in North America. Congress designated it a national park in 2000. The park, made up of more than 149,000 acres, also includes wetlands, grasslands, forests and alpine tundra.

“A starlit night at Great Sand Dunes can bring opportunities for wonder, perspective, and a more intimate connection with the natural world than we have in the daytime,” Park Ranger Patrick Myers said. “Besides seeing countless stars, our other senses open up and we become aware of the unique sounds of owls and toads, the scent of piñon pines, and the soft feel of polished grains of sand.”

Tucked along the base of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, the park is also a destination for adventurers who enjoy sand boarding and sledding. After a day of sliding down the dunes, visitors can relax to the wonder of start gazing in its dark, vast glory.

“Great Sand Dunes has some of the darkest skies measured in the West,” Rice said. “We invite you to come out and experience this treasure for yourself.”

Great Sand Dunes staff will host a celebration of its Dark Sky Park designation later this summer on a date to be announced."

Old 05-10-2019, 06:30 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
That's good.

Living in Colorado Springs, I feel the night sky view has diminished noticeably in my lifetime. I remember being able to actually see the Milky Way. Now I have to travel a bit to see that.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:23 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,252,297 times
I could see the milky way and a full sky of stars last night near Elevenmile state park..

Old 05-13-2019, 01:53 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Not in Colorado, but nearby...

One of the most amazing night skies I can recall was on a backpacking trip in the Wind River Range of Wyoming. I can identify the majority of Northern Hemisphere constellations, but that sky was so littered with stars that it took a while to get my bearings.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:50 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
About 8 years ago I took my in laws to Mesa Verde. We stayed in the lodge there & my father in law was amazed at how clear the milky way was. It was truly beautiful!

I've always enjoyed the stars in the Utah portion of the Colorado Plateau. Pariah canyon was exceptional!
If you go back, try to time your visit with one of the summer nighttime ranger presentations on the night sky. The one I went to at Mesa Verde gathered in a large parking lot away from buildings and campground. It was also high enough to see stars that would be obscured in other areas. A local astronomy club brought telescopes to that one. Last year I went to another “star party” held above the Canyons of the Ancients Visitor Center (formerly known as the Anasazi Heritage Center). We had some light pollution there (it is near highways) but even so, the stargazing was far better than what most people see. For example, I could clearly see Microscopium, which lies pretty far south (often obliterated by lights on the horizon), and that is one of the dimmer constellations.

There was some talk of Canyons of the Ancients National Monument possibly becoming designated a dark-skies reserve, at least in parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado