U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 PM

22,255 posts, read 10,317,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It's funny you would mention the military. Accountability tends to run higher amongst those in ranks because of the amount of public trust bestowed upon the military. Don't believe me? ...

This is also why I favor term limits in the U.S. House and Senate but that's a topic for a different thread.

I saw a bumper sticker that read, "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often. And for the same reason." Truer words have never been spoken.
In the military, it depends on what the accountability is about. What reputation does the modern military have in Okinawa, and why? What's all this fuss about rape in the military? Some things are held strictly. Other things have been overlooked.

As for term limits. That is an issue I have struggled with for years. On the one hand, why shouldn't citizens be able to elect whom they want. I would agree with term limits IF after sitting out an election a candidate could then run again.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 PM

10,645 posts, read 11,048,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In the military, it depends on what the accountability is about. What reputation does the modern military have in Okinawa, and why? What's all this fuss about rape in the military? Some things are held strictly. Other things have been overlooked.
The reputation is bad, no doubt about it. But that does not mean those responsible for committing crimes were not held responsible. Also, sexual harassment is a huge in the military right now. It's got Congress bringing in all the top brass to answer questions. But when compared to other cross sections of society, we are actually not too bad. I don't want to sound like I am mitigating the documented cases because this is a very serious issue. But the truth is we actually do a better job responding to sexual assault/harassment than pretty much every major university in the country, as well as many civilian corporations. But we are held to a higher standard in the military and rightly so. There is a matter of public trust to consider and the same is true (or should be) of elected officials.

Quote:
As for term limits. That is an issue I have struggled with for years. On the one hand, why shouldn't citizens be able to elect whom they want. I would agree with term limits IF after sitting out an election a candidate could then run again.
I'd really like to comment further on why we should impose term limits, but the topic is Colorado's recall elections, not term limits. As it stands, a recall of John Morse would not necessarily end his political career. He could resurface in some other office or maybe even run again for the office he'd previously held.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 AM

1,969 posts, read 1,979,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
That's right. Gun rights. Civil rights. Our rights. I take any infringement on the right to bear arms as seriously as an infringement on civil liberties. I'm glad even the ACLU takes notice of it too.
The anti-slaughter laws are NOT an infringement on the right to bear arms. These legislators were acting in the interest of public safety and KUDOS to them.

You want to help ALEC, go ahead. You might as well join an S&M club.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:23 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,751,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
The anti-slaughter laws are NOT an infringement on the right to bear arms. These legislators were acting in the interest of public safety and KUDOS to them.

You want to help ALEC, go ahead. You might as well join an S&M club.
And please elaborate how these laws address the criminals or their actions. We'll wait...

Old 07-25-2013, 02:29 PM

1,969 posts, read 1,979,508 times
Read this:

A definitive review of Colorado gun laws - The Denver Post

This:

Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'...one definition is that law is a system of rules and guidelines which are enforced through social institutions to govern behavior.[SIZE=2][3][/SIZE] Laws are made by governments, specifically by their legislatures.'

Old 07-25-2013, 04:16 PM

2,943 posts, read 7,310,904 times
Quote:
Read this:

This:

'...one definition is that law is a system of rules and guidelines which are enforced through social institutions to govern behavior.[SIZE=2][3][/SIZE] Laws are made by governments, specifically by their legislatures.'

Right, because naturally, criminals will all of a sudden just start following new laws.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:53 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,751,981 times
Quote:
Read this:

This:

I know what the new laws are. Judging from your post, I'm not too sure you do, at least pertaining to the question I asked you.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Right, because naturally, criminals will all of a sudden just start following new laws.
So by your logic, we should eliminate laws against murder and rape, because criminals will do it anyway.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:24 AM

2,943 posts, read 7,310,904 times
Quote:
So by your logic, we should eliminate laws against murder and rape, because criminals will do it anyway.
They're sure helping, aren't they! And for the record, I said ACLU, not ALEC. I know it hurts for you, but at least try to read posts correctly.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
They're sure helping, aren't they! And for the record, I said ACLU, not ALEC. I know it hurts for you, but at least try to read posts correctly.
I didn't discuss ACLU or ALEC. What are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or