U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 02:58 PM

10,645 posts, read 11,048,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I don't see why people are debating the merits of a recall election. Colorado law allows for it, and it is happening no matter whether you want it to or not. If people are as convinced that neither legislator should be recalled, then they will simply mark "no" on their ballot, the recalls will fail, and the gun control advocates and anti-recall folks will all walk away happy.

But this is democracy, and I think there is a great opportunity to knock off two legislators for egregiously unwise legislative action. If most folks in El Paso and Pueblo Counties want new legislators, then the state law provides them the right to get them, and that may very well happen in September. When you step on the people who elect you to office, then don't be surprised when those same people boot you out of office. This isn't a monarchy. You are elected, not appointed. And when you are elected to represent an adamantly pro-gun state and you go after gun controls, then, yes, you just might get kicked out of office.
Well said. The laws will not accomplish the stated purpose for which they were enacted. Hick has acknowledged this himself. Legislation that serves no purpose is all flash and no substance. With so many issues facing the state, the assembly chooses to occupy their time with this? Legislation that won't work? It's the right and responsibility of the people to choose new representation, plain and simple.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 PM

22,255 posts, read 10,317,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
1: Second Amendment. If you think the framers of the Constitution, the same guys who devised a government the likes of which mankind had never before seen, could not foresee the evolution of the firearm... High capacity magazines are a function of modern firearms. The fact that they did not exist in the days the Constitution does not change the text.

2: The differences is government has made itself the clearing house on private transfers of firearms. This is what I object.

3: I don't think Hick knows what he's doing period. But when the governor who signed these laws into law questions how effective they'll be, it underscores the futility of the laws as they relate to reducing gun violence and increasing public safety (as they are certified by their own public safety and interest clause to do). It also gives gun owners legitimate reason to question the purpose of these laws. If they don't accomplish the purpose for which they are intended, what is the point? If the only affect is infringement of law abiding citizens, then the concerns of law abiding gun owners are well founded.
1. Over-reach.

2. You may object, but you didn't answer the question.

3. You were doing pretty well until your last sentence.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 PM

22,255 posts, read 10,317,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I don't see why people are debating the merits of a recall election. Colorado law allows for it, and it is happening no matter whether you want it to or not. If people are as convinced that neither legislator should be recalled, then they will simply mark "no" on their ballot, the recalls will fail, and the gun control advocates and anti-recall folks will all walk away happy.

But this is democracy, and I think there is a great opportunity to knock off two legislators for egregiously unwise legislative action. If most folks in El Paso and Pueblo Counties want new legislators, then the state law provides them the right to get them, and that may very well happen in September. When you step on the people who elect you to office, then don't be surprised when those same people boot you out of office. This isn't a monarchy. You are elected, not appointed. And when you are elected to represent an adamantly pro-gun state and you go after gun controls, then, yes, you just might get kicked out of office.
I must say, although you and I are on opposite sides of the issues, this is well written and reasonable.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Over-reach.

2. You may object, but you didn't answer the question.

3. You were doing pretty well until your last sentence.
Disagree all you want. I can at least appreciate your willingness to discuss the issue like an adult. Some are hanging around simply to get a rise. Regarding over-reach, there is none in the Constitution. At no point is the 2nd Amendment intended to restrict rights, but to enable them. And I did answer point number 2 by explaining the difference. Lastly, if I was "doing well until my last sentence" then perhaps you would be good enough to explain what is the purpose of legislation that does not accomplish its stated ends?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,188,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Well said. The laws will not accomplish the stated purpose for which they were enacted. Hick has acknowledged this himself. Legislation that serves no purpose is all flash and no substance. With so many issues facing the state, the assembly chooses to occupy their time with this? Legislation that won't work? It's the right and responsibility of the people to choose new representation, plain and simple.
There is no way of knowing if background checks work, but more importantly, there is no way to prove they don't work. If 10 people or 10 thousand people get turned down for a gun purchase, there is no way of knowing it ONE of those was pissed off and going to go postal at his ex wife's place of employment. Someone will jump in and say "criminals don't buy their guns legally". If I got turned down because of a background check, I would have no idea where to get a gun. Could the Aurora shooter have easily acquired his arsenal illegally?

I just can not see how the minor inconvenince of a background check is a problem for law abiding citizens.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:37 PM

2,943 posts, read 7,310,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
There is no way of knowing if background checks work, but more importantly, there is no way to prove they don't work. If 10 people or 10 thousand people get turned down for a gun purchase, there is no way of knowing it ONE of those was pissed off and going to go postal at his ex wife's place of employment. Someone will jump in and say "criminals don't buy their guns legally". If I got turned down because of a background check, I would have no idea where to get a gun. Could the Aurora shooter have easily acquired his arsenal illegally?

I just can not see how the minor inconvenince of a background check is a problem for law abiding citizens.
It's a MAJOR inconvienence BECAUSE WE ARE BEING FORCED TO PAY FOR IT. It is no different than a poll tax.

And you apparently don't venture outside your house. Even if all guns were confiscated tomorrow, I would still know where to get one. My own machine shop, perhaps. I could make a firearm in a few hour's time. That's why I think gun control laws are hilarious and a waste of time. As long there's welders and machinists alive, there will always be guns.

If these idiots had half a brain, they'd know to go after ammunition, not the guns. It would be like a car without fuel, a totally worthless paperweight. But alas, they are not smart. Just knee jerk reactionary retards.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 AM

14,507 posts, read 22,370,207 times
Bow n arrow, slingshot, mace, throwing stars, nastily hurled insults... so many weapons.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
If these idiots had half a brain, they'd know to go after ammunition, not the guns. It would be like a car without fuel, a totally worthless paperweight. But alas, they are not smart. Just knee jerk reactionary retards.
Not true. California and Illinois alike are going after ammunition.

To Eddyline's question, the fact that you don't know where to find a gun illegally is actually somewhat irrelevant. Many law abiding citizens wouldn't know where to start if they wanted to purchase a gun illegally. But criminals don't seem to have a problem doing it, the same way drug users don't have a problem scoring illegal drugs. The law doesn't affect those to whom it is targeted. It only affects law abiding citizens and constitutes an infringement.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:41 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,752,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
It's a MAJOR inconvienence BECAUSE WE ARE BEING FORCED TO PAY FOR IT. It is no different than a poll tax.

And you apparently don't venture outside your house. Even if all guns were confiscated tomorrow, I would still know where to get one. My own machine shop, perhaps. I could make a firearm in a few hour's time. That's why I think gun control laws are hilarious and a waste of time. As long there's welders and machinists alive, there will always be guns.

You know how I can tell you don't have a clue?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 AM

2,943 posts, read 7,310,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
You know how I can tell you don't have a clue?
Oh please, do tell. Do I need to put my tin foil hat on for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or