U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-17-2013, 07:23 AM
 
2,493 posts, read 2,186,249 times
Reputation: 3351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I want to buy a handgun from my neighbor when he comes home from work tonight at 10pm.

How do I get my gun today? Legally( as of the new laws)
And I could not buy medical marijuana at 3:00 am this morning. What is your point?

 
Old 08-17-2013, 07:26 AM
 
2,493 posts, read 2,186,249 times
Reputation: 3351
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I have already answered this, earlier in the thread. I've stated that many gun owners support background checks on some level. We do not support increasing the scope of background checks because the laws currently on the books are not even enforced to the extent they should be. Why should we increase the scope of background checks when we are not even fully implementing the current scope of the law?
I understand that you do not support increased background checks.
Several people have made the argument that the background checks prevent law abiding citizens from owning guns. What I have asked is HOW are law abiding citizens prevented from owning guns?
 
Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Western, Colorado
1,598 posts, read 2,750,166 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
And I could not buy medical marijuana at 3:00 am this morning. What is your point?
Direct me to the part of the Constitution where is protects the right for you to smoke, but, poses pot? We'll wait.

For the record, I'm for decriminalizing MJ, and leaving the decisions to the states.

You dodged my question. Please state your positions on 1 and 2.

1.If I want to buy a gun from my neighbor when he gets home from work tonight at 10pm, how can I do so?

2. Also, if requiring background checks is acceptable to exercising this right, why don't you support ID's and background checks to vote?
 
Old 08-17-2013, 09:34 AM
 
2,493 posts, read 2,186,249 times
Reputation: 3351
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Direct me to the part of the Constitution where is protects the right for you to smoke, but, poses pot? We'll wait.

For the record, I'm for decriminalizing MJ, and leaving the decisions to the states.

You dodged my question. Please state your positions on 1 and 2.

1.If I want to buy a gun from my neighbor when he gets home from work tonight at 10pm, how can I do so?

2. Also, if requiring background checks is acceptable to exercising this right, why don't you support ID's and background checks to vote?
Amendment 20 Colorado Constitution

1) Wait till morning, just like Medical Marijuana

2) What makes you assume I don't support voter ID?
And what does voter ID have to do with gun control?
 
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 AM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Reputation: 7602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I understand that you do not support increased background checks.
Several people have made the argument that the background checks prevent law abiding citizens from owning guns. What I have asked is HOW are law abiding citizens prevented from owning guns?
Lefties keep talking about "increased background checks".

What exactly does that mean and what exactly does that do that the current system already does?
 
Old 08-17-2013, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Prescott Valley,az summer/east valley Az winter
2,042 posts, read 3,619,640 times
Reputation: 7884
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I want to buy a handgun from my neighbor when he comes home from work tonight at 10pm.

How do I get my gun today? Legally( as of the new laws)
Is that because your ex just got a restraining order against you and you wish to teach her a lesson?

Too many of the " law abiding gun owners today are saying its their God given RIGHT to give that person a gun, after all the "criminals" all can get all the guns they want, and usually from those people who cannot take the time to check to see they are selling to a guy that just got out of prison.
 
Old 08-17-2013, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,627 posts, read 11,023,385 times
Reputation: 13847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I understand that you do not support increased background checks.
Several people have made the argument that the background checks prevent law abiding citizens from owning guns. What I have asked is HOW are law abiding citizens prevented from owning guns?
Since I'm not the one making that argument I feel no obligation to address that question. My stance is increasing the scope of background checks is an infringement of 2nd Amendment rights. For example, as I said a while back, the state has inserted itself as the clearing house in a private transaction. We already have a system for background checks. Many states don't even enforce the current laws on the books. If they are serious about making these checks more effective, they will put more effort into the laws they already have before making more laws that they are likely not even able to enforce.
 
Old 08-17-2013, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,627 posts, read 11,023,385 times
Reputation: 13847
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Is that because your ex just got a restraining order against you and you wish to teach her a lesson?
I am usually pretty civil here, but this statement deserves a little special attention. This is the kind of remark that makes it nearly impossible to have a civil discussion on this matter. A gun owner wants to participate in a legal transaction that is protected by the highest law of the land, and people assume violent intentions. The lack of intellectual honesty by the anti-Constitution crowd is disturbing. Rather than hear and consider the actual positions voiced by the pro-gun/pro-Constitution crowd, they assign their pre-conceived idea to their ideological opponent. It takes a lot of intellectual effort to give your opponent's ideas a legitimate place in the conversation. Statements like this demonstrate some people are simply unwilling or unable to do so.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-17-2013 at 08:00 PM..
 
Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,079 posts, read 10,275,420 times
Reputation: 20109
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I am usually pretty civil here, but this statement deserves a little special attention. This is the kind of remark that makes it nearly impossible to have a civil discussion on this matter. A gun owner wants to participate in a legal transaction that is protected by the highest law of the land, and people assume violent intentions. The lack of intellectual honesty by the anti-Constitution crowd is disturbing. Rather than hear and consider the actual positions voiced by the pro-gun/pro-Constitution crowd, they assign their pre-conceived idea to their ideological opponent. It takes a lot of intellectual effort to give your opponent's ideas a legitimate place in the conversation. Statements like this demonstrate some people are simply unwilling or unable to do so.
And there's a lot of that on both sides. Please don't play the holier than thou card.

I can't go to my bank to conduct legal transactions at 3 a.m.

In some communities I can't find a drug store to buy rolaids at 3 a.m.

I can't buy a new car at 3 a.m.

I can't dine at my favorite restaurant at 3 a.m.

There's a helluva lot of legal things I can't do at 3 a.m.

Big deal.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Western, Colorado
1,598 posts, read 2,750,166 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And there's a lot of that on both sides. Please don't play the holier than thou card.

I can't go to my bank to conduct legal transactions at 3 a.m.

In some communities I can't find a drug store to buy rolaids at 3 a.m.

I can't buy a new car at 3 a.m.

I can't dine at my favorite restaurant at 3 a.m.

There's a helluva lot of legal things I can't do at 3 a.m.

Big deal.
None of those are protected by the Constitution my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top