U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 AM

1,969 posts, read 1,979,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
These recalls were not about an immediate impact. The motive behind these recalls were much deeper than immediate impact. The immediate impact desired has already been met: wayward lawmakers have been held accountable to their constituents. The bigger impact has yet to be seen. Will elected officials think twice before imposing tyranny on the people? They should.

I hope you can see the irony of this statement. Over reach is what led to the recalls to begin with.
How is passing background checks and magazine limits in a democratically elected legislature 'tyranny'?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,543,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
How is passing background checks and magazine limits in a democratically elected legislature 'tyranny'?
Just because a legislature is democratically elected doesn't mean they don't try to pass authoritarian measures. Banana republics do it all the time. As these people work for us, we don't work for them(I know that is a very difficult concept for you to grasp), we have the right to fire them for poor representation and overreaching. These 2 individuals went through a legal process to give citizens a chance to fire them and we know the results.

People just need to go back and read the background behind the Bill of Rights in the Constitution. The Constitution laid out what the purpose of the government was and very quickly amendments were added to ensure the citizens had constitutional recourse to protect themselves from totalitarians and other freedom munchers. The founding fathers knew we did not fight the Revolutionary War with sticks and stones and the populace being able to arm themselves was a key amendment. The 2nd Amendment is not about hunters, target shooters, collectors or anything else in regards the left always drags up. It's about having a means of defense against tyrannical government or an invasion.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 PM

12,175 posts, read 20,977,124 times
Now Anglia Giron is blaming voter suppression for her loss?????? Either she is blatantly lying or she just does not get it? I don't know the answer and I am not going to guess but when most Democrats are understanding what happened its sad that she is still in the dark. Makes me even more glad I voted her out of office.

This is the clip on YouTube from CNN.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:50 PM

1,969 posts, read 1,979,508 times
See, this is why my post was deleted and yours was not: when it comes to grasping, you gun worshippers grasp diplomacy. Even while Morse and Giron were going door to door with 'Liberal and Loaded' confiscation squads, I did not read of ONE incident where gunners used their Freedom Rod to make their day. Well, I did read that George Zimmerman stopped his wife and asked what she was doing in HIS neighbourhood, but that was not in CO.

Anyway, you are right, I would feel safer knowing that anyone anywhere can get a gun at any time, especially sociopaths and wife-beaters. Who needs a gun more?? Why is it our business that they have a criminal background? That's the Libertarian way, right? It's not my business unless you try to hurt me, and if you are bleeding to death on the street or homeless, that's your problem, right?

AND why should it be more difficult to get a 30 round magazine? Are we supposed to stop a burglar with just seven rounds?

Who cares if most Americans support background checks and magazine limits? We know what is best: a dictatorship of the Strapped and Packin'. They will thank us when the wealthy who run our government and corporations suddenly attack us because they are tired of us making them more rich.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:15 PM

10,645 posts, read 11,048,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
You really don't get it, do you? I have to say, you are without question the most small-minded person on the Colorado forum. If you can't see this is not about magazine limits and background checks then you are just not worth talking to. This is a matter of the people saying "enough" to government that is becoming more and more authoritarian. Don't think it's true? Read reports of Morse's sophomoric conduct during the passage of these gun bills. He refused to allow anyone whose opinion differed from his agenda have any floor time. He found time for plenty of testimony from those who backed his agenda, though.

Both sides have a voice. Morse chose to silence the pro-Constitution voice in the State House, so they made their voice heard in the ballot box. This recall election was about MUCH more than a few gun bills. This was the people exercising their God-given rights to push back.

Based on many of your comments, I've not put much stock into what you have to say anyway. But if you really think this is about magazine limits and background checks, you're simply not intelligent enough to carry on an discussion.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Now Anglia Giron is blaming voter suppression for her loss?????? Either she is blatantly lying or she just does not get it? I don't know the answer and I am not going to guess but when most Democrats are understanding what happened its sad that she is still in the dark. Makes me even more glad I voted her out of office.

This is the clip on YouTube from CNN.

Awesome find, Joss. I wish more elected officials (Republican and Democrat alike) would fall victim to their arrogance the way Morse and Giron have.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:19 PM

14,507 posts, read 22,370,207 times
I think Giron had a point though. But, it wasn't so much suppression that kept her constituents from voting, but their lazy legs. They seem oh so passionate about putting a "NO" sign in their yard, but not so much at going to vote.

You can't tell me that these folks would miss a freebie or a good sale, but they can't seem to get down to the voting booth? I think not.

Something like 35% voter turnout tells me that a lot of people still can't put their money where their mouths are.

They had their say, they lost, now they're not so happy about it. But to those of you who voted, hats off to ya! You did your job. If you won, good for you. If you lost, I feel your pain. My candidates have done their share of losing over the last 8 years. It all balances out.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 PM

12,175 posts, read 20,977,124 times
I always say if you don't vote you don't have a right to complain!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:35 PM

Here's a pretty good OP-ED on the recalls and why they happened:

Colorado recall: A non-partisan statement against voter suppression | Fox News

Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 PM

22,255 posts, read 10,317,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Just because a legislature is democratically elected doesn't mean they don't try to pass authoritarian measures. Banana republics do it all the time. As these people work for us, we don't work for them(I know that is a very difficult concept for you to grasp), we have the right to fire them for poor representation and overreaching. These 2 individuals went through a legal process to give citizens a chance to fire them and we know the results.

People just need to go back and read the background behind the Bill of Rights in the Constitution. The Constitution laid out what the purpose of the government was and very quickly amendments were added to ensure the citizens had constitutional recourse to protect themselves from totalitarians and other freedom munchers. The founding fathers knew we did not fight the Revolutionary War with sticks and stones and the populace being able to arm themselves was a key amendment. The 2nd Amendment is not about hunters, target shooters, collectors or anything else in regards the left always drags up. It's about having a means of defense against tyrannical government or an invasion.
Stop right there.

If you think that all the founding fathers agreed on much of anything, then you don't know diddly-squat about American history. Quite repeating what Rush says and so a little research of your own. For example, weren't Adams and Hamilton founding fathers? Yup. And they strongly opposed much of what Jefferson stood for. It's so convenient to have such a cleansed view of American history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or