U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2013, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,639 posts, read 11,025,797 times
Reputation: 13854

Advertisements

Does anyone have any thoughts on the recall efforts of John Morse and Angela Giron? They are being recalled for their support on the gun control measures signed into law earlier this year.

 
Old 07-13-2013, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,132 posts, read 10,281,671 times
Reputation: 20137
1. I have mixed feelings about whether recall elections are wise. I think they should be used sparingly, and only when someone is consistently going down the wrong path. Unfortunately, in the current cases we're talking about, they're being used pretty much in regard to one single issue.

2. I think overuse of recall elections is expensive and will contribute to governmental gridlock...which is bad enough already.

3. As is quite evident in a number of other forums I'm on, many of our citizens -- and in fact a great many of those on the pro-recall side of this particular case -- don't understand what representative government is. It doesn't mean that an official runs around taking polls on every issue to see which way the wind is blowing. It means that we elect people with a certain degree of trust that they will do what is best for their constituency. After all, if we decided all issues based on polls, we'd never have gotten rid of slavery, Blacks and other minorities will still be second class citizens, etc. Public opinion is not always on the "right" side of things.
 
Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 PM
 
1,981 posts, read 3,161,685 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on the recall efforts of John Morse and Angela Giron?
It's great. When govt. becomes tyrannical, it is up to the public to remove the tyrants from power.

Eliminating the freedoms of the law abiding majority is not good government.
 
Old 07-13-2013, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,639 posts, read 11,025,797 times
Reputation: 13854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's great. When govt. becomes tyrannical, it is up to the public to remove the tyrants from power.

Eliminating the freedoms of the law abiding majority is not good government.
I agree with you here. When government does not comply with the will of the people they should answer for it, and accountability should not have to wait until the next election cycle.

@Phetaroi, I also agree that it should not be common to issue a recall for just anything. But since this is the first recall election in the state's history, I think we're in good shape. Plus it is an issue the people spoke loudly about and had their voice ignored.
 
Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,174 posts, read 20,961,791 times
Reputation: 4258
I was undecided during the petition drive and did not sign the petition for Angela Giron. However her response to it now has turned me against her and I will now vote against her in the upcoming election.
 
Old 07-13-2013, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,132 posts, read 10,281,671 times
Reputation: 20137
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I agree with you here. When government does not comply with the will of the people they should answer for it, and accountability should not have to wait until the next election cycle.

@Phetaroi, I also agree that it should not be common to issue a recall for just anything. But since this is the first recall election in the state's history, I think we're in good shape. Plus it is an issue the people spoke loudly about and had their voice ignored.
But is that correct (I don't know). But here's one poll:

"A poll by Public Opinion Strategies showed that 34 percent of district voters surveyed support the recall of state Senate President John Morse, versus 29 percent who oppose it. Another 33 percent said they were undecided on the recall effort..."
 
Old 07-14-2013, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,639 posts, read 11,025,797 times
Reputation: 13854
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But is that correct (I don't know). But here's one poll:

"A poll by Public Opinion Strategies showed that 34 percent of district voters surveyed support the recall of state Senate President John Morse, versus 29 percent who oppose it. Another 33 percent said they were undecided on the recall effort..."
The issue I referenced was the gun control measures themselves, not the recall. I can see why my post was confusing. When those measures went through, opinion across the state trended against them, yet Morse pushed them through regardless.
 
Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,969 posts, read 1,977,489 times
Reputation: 1724
Most Americans support gun control and efforts to curb gun violence. I fully support Morse and especially Giron in this attack against them and I think the majority of my fellow Coloradans support them as well. They haven't committed any crimes.
 
Old 07-14-2013, 11:31 AM
 
Location: 80904 West siiiiiide!
2,943 posts, read 7,305,481 times
Reputation: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Most Americans support gun control and efforts to curb gun violence. I fully support Morse and especially Giron in this attack against them and I think the majority of my fellow Coloradans support them as well. They haven't committed any crimes.
Circumventing the constitution is the highest of all crimes, treason. Not just the gun control issues either. Morse And company rammed through all kinds of legislation this past session, that has angered most of NE Colorado, to threaten succession from the state!

They passed whatever they wanted, and refused to hear input from anyone. You are dead wrong, the majority of Coloradans, including 95% of our county sheriffs, are adamantly against violating the rights of our citizens. This is Colorado. Hunting, fishing, good ole boy mountain land Colorado. You can mess with a lot of things around here, but our guns ain't one of them.
 
Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Western, Colorado
1,598 posts, read 2,750,424 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But is that correct (I don't know). But here's one poll:

"A poll by Public Opinion Strategies showed that 34 percent of district voters surveyed support the recall of state Senate President John Morse, versus 29 percent who oppose it. Another 33 percent said they were undecided on the recall effort..."
How do you explain more people signing the recall petition than those that actually voted for him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top