U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 AM

10 posts, read 20,250 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My wife and I are currently residing in Nebraska, and making plans to move out west in a couple of years. Before we move we are doing extensive research to ensure we find the right city for us! I can work from pretty much anywhere in the country as long as I have wifi, and my wife would be attempting to start a very small business. She is a dance instructor (modern, lyrical, ballet, jazz, tap, that sort of thing) and she loves to teach. She's thinking of starting out just doing lessons out of the house and then moving into a rented space later. Because of this, it would be best to move to a place where no dance studio existed.

I'm super into the outdoors, and I have professional training as a canoe/backpacking instructor as well as outdoor cooking, etc.

My top concern is finding a small-ish town (preferably no less than 1500, no greater than 8,000) that has no dance studio, and some great evangelical churches. We are young, and we are hoping for children in our near future, so schools are of concern, but we are also considering homeschool.

We looked at Leadville and a couple other places, but I am now very interested in the town of Monte Vista. Salida, and Alamosa look great, but they're out of the question because they already have dance there. Any other town suggestions would be great.

Thank you very much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,802,953 times
Monte Vista probably is not your town. First of all, I would see little potential there for your wife's proposed business. Adams State at Alamosa does have a pretty good folk dance program, predominantly Mexican folk dancing, and that seems to feel the need for any dance programs in the San Luis Valley. Ethnically and religiously, Monte Vista is not even close to what you seek, either. The Monte Vista population is split between Hispanics, who are mostly Catholic, and Anglos, many of whom are Mormon. Other religions are represented, of course, but it is not a "Bible Belt" kind of town. For that matter, few Colorado towns are--not even Colorado Springs, which has a sizable (and vocal) evangelical population that is even a minority there. Like most Colorado small towns, schools in Monte are having serious funding problems which will impact the quality of education there over the long term. Frankly, the school situation in Colorado is such that it is not a place that I recommend for people with school-age children. It did not used to be that way, but it is now, and probably will get worse over time. (I am familiar with Nebraska schools, by the way, because I have relatives there. They generally put Colorado primary and secondary education to shame.) It is unfortunate that, in so many ways, Colorado is not a very family-friendly place. The various taxation and lawmaking policies being pursued at the state level seem destined to make that situation only worse.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 PM

463 posts, read 980,099 times
Buena Vista. Just be aware that you'll be moving from a state with one of the lowest unemployment rates to an area with one of the highest rates. The economy is brutal in rural CO.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 PM

10 posts, read 20,250 times
Thanks for the input! Buena vista seems like a nice place to check into. I've only been there briefly to raft the Arkansas. Any other town suggestions?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:59 PM

463 posts, read 980,099 times
It might be worth a phone call to Young Life Frontier Ranch to see if your wife could offer dance classes as part of their camp activities:

Frontier Ranch - A Young Life Camp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado