U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 AM

82 posts, read 132,550 times

Advertisements

Being a former resident of ski country, Colorado it is hard to believe that there isn't a separate section in this forum for Idaho springs or even Evergreen, to Grand Junction. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:20 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookaspirit View Post
Being a former resident of ski country, Colorado it is hard to believe that there isn't a separate section in this forum for Idaho springs or even Evergreen, to Grand Junction. Why is that?
The site owner is adamant about not creating a lot of sub-forums; can't even get one for Pueblo.

I've offered him ways to divide up the remaining areas of the state into regional sub-forums but so far it's no dice.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
I like it the way it is.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,690,649 times
Speaking of the site owner, how does he / she maintain it with no advertising?
All volunteer?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:37 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,959,783 times
When I first joined I thought it was important now I don't think it matters all that much. In fact I find my self in the main rooms rather its here or the science and technology forum.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,333,575 times
Having a section just for Idaho Springs or Aspen is cutting things too fine, but I wouldn't mind having a section devoted to the Western Slope myself. The general Colorado forum serves as a de facto Western Slope forum, but ski bums keep butting in and distracting the rest of us with questions about snow depth on the ski slopes in Vail.

@ proveick: I believe that the site owners make their money from the actual city and state information side of things. The stats over there are vast and very comprehensive - a great tool for those who sell real estate all over the US. But Mike will have to verify that for us.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:24 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
There are ads on the site. IIRC, we as account holders don't see them.

Over on my wife's computer, who is not signed into my account, she sees the non-member view and there ARE two ads at the top of this thread, one for rafting trips and one for seeing your arrest record on-line. I believe that some ads are oriented to the context of the thread.

Not sure they make any money on the stats side of the site as most of that data is public info like Census data.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:52 PM

9,161 posts, read 16,566,766 times
The first page of the general Colorado forum has posts going back 8 days. It's hard to justify additional sub-forums when you have no more traffic than that. I think it's fine the way it is.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,333,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There are ads on the site. IIRC, we as account holders don't see them.

Over on my wife's computer, who is not signed into my account, she sees the non-member view and there ARE two ads at the top of this thread, one for rafting trips and one for seeing your arrest record on-line. I believe that some ads are oriented to the context of the thread.

Not sure they make any money on the stats side of the site as most of that data is public info like Census data.
Well, I just logged out "Colorado Rambler," but I STILL didn't see any ads at the top of this thread. I guess CD.com moves in mysterious ways.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:18 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,934,395 times
Rambler, do you have adblock?

I use it and hardly ever see an advertisement on the internet. Honestly, I had forgot about them over the last few years and figured people just realized they didn't work, because despite the occasional stupidity of people, they just weren't stupid enough to click those ad links. The continued presence of those ads, has proven me tragically wrong.

The site would be unlikely to stay up if it was not making money. The most likely reason to not produce sub forums is it would lead to too many people only visiting the sub forum, seeing less threads, and not clicking/commenting on other random threads that were mixed into their forum. That in turn would reduce content generation and produce less draw for new users to look up more threads, see more ads, and generate more revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or