Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:51 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,967,007 times

Advertisements

"If you don't want your drone to go down, don't fly it in town." [1]

The small eastern Colorado town of Deer Trail is considering offering a bounty on all drones shot down in the area. The proposed ordinance would allow residents to purchase a $25 hunting license to shoot down "unmanned aerial vehicles."

Deer Trail, about 55 miles east of Denver on I-70, is a farming and ranching community.

To collect the bounty of $100 a hunter would have to provide either the nose or tail of the drone undamaged.

Some local ranchers report having seen drones in the area. As Phillip Steele, the 48-year-old army veteran and drafter of this measure said, "We don't want to become a surveillance society."

1) 'Colorado town ponders bounty for shooting down drones,' The Guardian
Colorado town ponders bounty for shooting down drones | World news | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,899,992 times
That's pretty funny. Maybe the idea will catch on and more towns and counties will start offering a bounty on drones. A drone would be much more of a prize than a coyote or mountain lion. Leave them alone and start searching the skies with your binoculars!

What the heck are drones doing flying over Colorado anyhow? Has Al Queda been sighted in Cheyenne Wells?

I'm going out right now and picking up my 12 guage and a hunting license.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 AM

346 posts, read 480,601 times
Funny! While there's so much attention being paid to the 2nd Amendment, our 4th Amendment is being trampled on.
When reciting the Pledge, I almost feel like saying "One nation, under surveillance..."

Last edited by MtnJam; 07-18-2013 at 10:47 AM..

Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,661,428 times
Makes me think of a song my husband's band wrote, called Drone Hunter. Wish I could find a video of it to post!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM

12,260 posts, read 24,386,371 times
This is kind of ridiculous and shows a total lack of understanding on what is coming in the future. In less then 10 years we will have driverless cars, Mercedes came out with the first one this year, and we will have drones delivering things from pizzas to trucking companies.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,661,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is kind of ridiculous and shows a total lack of understanding on what is coming in the future. In less then 10 years we will have driverless cars, Mercedes came out with the first one this year, and we will have drones delivering things from pizzas to trucking companies.
Again, I have to disagree with you on this. If we were talking about drones to drive vehicles and deliver pizza, I don't think it would be a big deal. But, we are talking about surveillance of our own citizens! Privacy is becoming less and less of a right. We are all being treated as guilty until proven innocent. I, for one, am for some safety measures in this new age of terrorism, but this is plain ridiculous. I think we are opening up something that is very scary here. What's next? Actual drone strikes on innocent US citizens? It's already happening to innocent bystanders in other countries. It's only a matter of time before we see this "accidentally" happening here.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:56 PM

975 posts, read 1,319,346 times
If someone shoots at the drone, does the drone get to fire back? We should keep things fair after all.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 PM

3,604 posts, read 9,025,768 times
What if they shoot it and as comes down it hits someone. I don't like them either, but shooting them down doesn't seem like the most intelligent solution.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:54 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,813,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
If someone shoots at the drone, does the drone get to fire back? We should keep things fair after all.
Well, if we're keeping it fair, then we should be able to spy on the US government with our drones, right?

We as citizens should be able to also collect meta data on every single government official, CIA, politician, NSA employees etc.

Yeah, I'm liking this keepn' it fair stuff.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:59 PM

975 posts, read 1,319,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Well, if we're keeping it fair, then we should be able to spy on the US government with our drones, right?

We as citizens should be able to also collect meta data on every single government official, CIA, politician, NSA employees etc.

Yeah, I'm liking this keepn' it fair stuff.
Sure, if you think that national security would be enhanced by such a measure. Government accountability would probably be better, though our economic well being would likely be greatly diminished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado