Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 PM

287 posts, read 500,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I have to admit I don't fully understand the laments of Jazzlover most of the time. It seems like most of the problems are not confined to CO, but to any area that has experienced growth. But after driving thru Parachute, I totally understand his feelings. That area's scenery is currently being destroyed by the natural gas drilling and all the side effects due to the population increase. I am not an enviromentalist and enjoy the benfits of cheap fuel costs(relatively), but seeing all the rigs and modular home developments made me think of Jazz and his comments about the way CO used to be. No answers, just observations.
I love seeing gas drilling rigs, it inspires me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,908,981 times
Quote:
I love seeing gas drilling rigs, it inspires me.
Driving thru there this afternoon, another name came to mind- Jed Clampett. Are those landowners getting humoungous royalties? My knowledge of mineral rights is very limited.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 PM

26,144 posts, read 48,824,756 times
Quote:
Driving thru there this afternoon, another name came to mind- Jed Clampett. Are those landowners getting humoungous royalties? My knowledge of mineral rights is very limited.
I remember driving the NJ Turnpike with my mother in law in the car. When we went by the chemical plants & refineries of Perth Amboy she remarked about how ugly all that 'stuff' was. I gave her my opinion: That there sits the strength of the Yankee dollar, our standard of living, and its a glorious and beautiful site indeed. The engineering & construction in those plants is a marvel, I could tour sites like that all day. Smells good too. Like money. Everyone INHALE with me!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,405,204 times
Quote:
Much of the drilling in Colorado is on federal land. Even when it is on private land, quite often the federal government reserved one-half or all of the mineral rights at patent. You can go to a reputable sporting goods store or the like and purchase BLM maps that show what areas have federally reserved mineral rights. It's quite a bit.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,970,044 times
Wink You can count on it

Talk to someone who has lived in Colorado a long time, particularly along the front range. Look at some old pictures. This state has changed significantly.

Whether one likes development or not, the result of it unmistakable. Take Ft. Collins for example. The pace of business and residential development on open farm land is increasing as if there were no tomorrow. Which in a sense there will not be, should one value such things. Also fairly obvious that at a certain point people can obliterate the very ambience that attracted them in the first place.

Of course such a conundrum not confined to Colorado or even the United States, but of global proportions. The earth is increasingly reminding us of this, and she doesn't care. But we do, whether we happen to think so or not.

If for no other reason than our very existence dependant on our environment. Not to mention a certain subjective quality of life.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I remember driving the NJ Turnpike with my mother in law in the car. When we went by the chemical plants & refineries of Perth Amboy she remarked about how ugly all that 'stuff' was. I gave her my opinion: That there sits the strength of the Yankee dollar, our standard of living, and its a glorious and beautiful site indeed. The engineering & construction in those plants is a marvel, I could tour sites like that all day. Smells good too. Like money. Everyone INHALE with me!
You couldn't have said it better! I love the sites and smells of industry,
especially factories! It's a beautiful thing.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Talk to someone who has lived in Colorado a long time, particularly along the front range. Look at some old pictures. This state has changed significantly.

Whether one likes development or not, the result of it unmistakable. Take Ft. Collins for example. The pace of business and residential development on open farm land is increasing as if there were no tomorrow. Which in a sense there will not be, should one value such things. Also fairly obvious that at a certain point people can obliterate the very ambience that attracted them in the first place.

Of course such a conundrum not confined to Colorado or even the United States, but of global proportions. The earth is increasingly reminding us of this, and she doesn't care. But we do, whether we happen to think so or not.

If for no other reason than our very existence dependant on our environment. Not to mention a certain subjective quality of life.
I'm sorry, but this kind of thought is so uninspiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado