Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:25 PM

287 posts, read 500,456 times

Advertisements

I live in Denver. But my work takes me up north to Fort Collins and surrounding areas. I think the land up that way might be the most
beautiful in Colorado. Its mixture of agriculture and mountains is
remarkable. There is still a lot of open land up that way. How
much longer before it is gone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 09:54 PM

638 posts, read 2,277,158 times
If you like it that much you might as well buy it now. Even if it seems like it might not ever be in demand, I assure you it will. When I was a kid it was a wasteland between Denver and Co Springs. Fort Collins was the same. Now its all connected pretty much. The area you are talking about will be gone soon too, thats my guess.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:45 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
I live in Denver. But my work takes me up north to Fort Collins and surrounding areas. I think the land up that way might be the most
beautiful in Colorado. Its mixture of agriculture and mountains is
remarkable. There is still a lot of open land up that way. How
much longer before it is gone?
I heard a lover of jazz is buying all the land over there and is planning on building huge subdivisions, oil refineries, strip mines, malls, and especially trophy houses.

(I couldn't resist.)

The goal is to turn this

into this

Old 11-10-2007, 09:12 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,403,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I heard a lover of jazz is buying all the land over there and is planning on building huge subdivisions, oil refineries, strip mines, malls, and especially trophy houses.

(I couldn't resist.)

The goal is to turn this

into this

Yeah, baby, let's cut that ranch up and sell it. Go dry up some more ranches along the way to water them blue grass lawns. Yee-ha! Hell's bells! "Open space," or farms, or ranches are just a waste of good land--they need houses and strip malls on 'em. Now, if we could just get the Feds to sell the National Parks and Forests, we could cut that up, too, for some expensive trophy houses. We could have this place lookin' like Hong Kong or Nairobi before ya know it! Somebody worried about "wildlife?" They're just takin' up space. So what if the kids will never see a wild animal or open space again? They're all playin' Nintendo, anyway.

Oh, and we need more roads, too. Gotta have someplace to drive the Lexus and the SUV. Nothin' to see out the window but the smog, and the traffic jam, and the sprawl? That's what the 6 CD changer and the cell phone is for. No clean air, anymore? Hey, that's why they put the air filtration system on the A/C fer ya. Global warming? Turn the A/C up--that's why we made it standard in your car and your house.

Worried about your kids not having enough fuel, or food, or money to keep this all up? The hell with 'em. That's their problem. Live it up, baby--you DESERVE IT!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:26 AM

26,144 posts, read 48,818,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Yeah, baby, let's cut that ranch up and sell it. Go dry up some more ranches along the way to water them blue grass lawns. Yee-ha! Hell's bells! "Open space," or farms, or ranches are just a waste of good land--they need houses and strip malls on 'em. Now, if we could just get the Feds to sell the National Parks and Forests, we could cut that up, too, for some expensive trophy houses. We could have this place lookin' like Hong Kong or Nairobi before ya know it! Somebody worried about "wildlife?" They're just takin' up space. So what if the kids will never see a wild animal or open space again? They're all playin' Nintendo, anyway.

Oh, and we need more roads, too. Gotta have someplace to drive the Lexus and the SUV. Nothin' to see out the window but the smog, and the traffic jam, and the sprawl? That's what the 6 CD changer and the cell phone is for. No clean air, anymore? Hey, that's why they put the air filtration system on the A/C fer ya. Global warming? Turn the A/C up--that's why we made it standard in your car and your house.

Worried about your kids not having enough fuel, or food, or money to keep this all up? The hell with 'em. That's their problem. Live it up, baby--you DESERVE IT!

Howl-lay-lew-yah! Praise the heavens! Jazz has seen the light! Glory Be to Saintly Developers! Yeah verily, a full-subdivision soul-shaking scrape & build conversion! Put your hands on the controls of a D9 dozer - FEEL the POWER! Lay your hands on the hood of that baby - FEEL the HEAT! All Puh-Raise Caterpillar! Glory Halleluyah, houses without end! Wrap yourself in the cloth of the zero-down mortgage and live mightily in high-end splendor. Amen.

PS: Five-hundred gallon diesel fuel dispenser optional with six car garage.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-10-2007 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-10-2007, 12:34 PM

let me guess, you guys are environmental wacko libs? hehe

Old 11-10-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
let me guess, you guys are environmental wacko libs? hehe
Lib but not wacko. The other 3 are wacko.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:01 AM

most libs are wacko, but that's just my opinion. But I suppose we can all get along,
unless someone happens to bring up global warming. My worry about Northern Colorado is not that it will be eaten up by strip malls and what not. Economic activity is rarely a bad thing.
I just worry that the place will be discovered by others before I get enough savings to buy a piece of land up that way. I live in Denver, and I have no interest in buying here.
I need the open, rural-ness that exists up North. Really its the agriculture that makes
the area so appealing. I do not know if there is agriculture in the South part of the state. The fact that stupid Money Magazine named Fort Collins the best place to live doesn't help. Think how many cities that stupid magazine has ruined with its Best Places to Live survey. Seattle is one prime example, at least that's what I gather from
people who live there. Out.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM

I agree. Louisville has been voted such a great city so many times its no longer affordable.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:04 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,908,603 times
I have to admit I don't fully understand the laments of Jazzlover most of the time. It seems like most of the problems are not confined to CO, but to any area that has experienced growth. But after driving thru Parachute, I totally understand his feelings. That area's scenery is currently being destroyed by the natural gas drilling and all the side effects due to the population increase. I am not an enviromentalist and enjoy the benfits of cheap fuel costs(relatively), but seeing all the rigs and modular home developments made me think of Jazz and his comments about the way CO used to be. No answers, just observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado