U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM

14 posts, read 18,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Some thoughts:

Check the internet speed available for any property your looking at. Here is a company that might be able to help you.
EvCo Services
"
The answer is "it depends on where you are". In some locations 1.28 Mbps is the highest download speed available. In other areas faster download speeds are available through the Qwest Network. Lower speeds may be available to fit just about any budget.

Other factors that influence speed
As a general rule, the DSLAM's are located right next to Qwest telephone cabinets. DSL speeds will degrade if the length of the phone wire exceeds 3.4 miles, but most homes and businesses are within those limits.

DSL travels within your telephone line*. Sometimes telephone lines are overhead and are laid out in relatively straight lines, and sometimes the telephone lines are buried and only appear on the surface of the ground in those green colored pedestals. The DSL signal will degrade to a point that it won't work when the location of the modem in your home or business is 3 miles or more from the DSLAM."

Do you need network redundancy? At my house I could have both DSL through Century Link and connectivity through Comcast. If I depended on the internet connection for a living I would consider subscribing to both just in case there was a problem.

Check the shipping options and delays to make sure they fit the business model you have. Do people have time sensitive orders? Will the shipping costs for your customers go up based on where you live?

Will your livelihood be OK if your locked out for days or weeks due to fire evacuations. Will your business insurance carry you if your house and inventory burns down? Will your customers come back when you are back on-line?

What will happen if you want to move but it takes 2 or 3 yrs to sell your house? Do you have the funds to carry two homes?

Consider renting at first. You don't know if you will like living so far out and how everyone will adapt to the altitude. I have a friend who moved to Boulder from NJ. She had to move back to sea level because her daughter didn't adapt.

Keep an open mind about the front range. There are many options that are not cookie cutter, housing tracts or in a city environment.
Internet speed isn't a huge deal, though cell phone reception is important. I don't do downloading, but am constantly on the internet, so reliability is more important than speed.

Yes my livelihood would be greatly effected if I had to evacuate, and yes I would be screwed if my house burnt down, but honestly, how often does this occur? If it was maybe a once in a 10-20 year period than I can handle the risks. I can't imaging homeowners have to evacuate every few years? Am I being ignorant to the fire risks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 12:39 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
nickandjenn wrote: Am I being ignorant to the fire risks?

Probably.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
nickandjenn wrote: Am I being ignorant to the fire risks?

Probably.

So I should expect to be evacuated every couple years?

Old 08-01-2013, 12:46 PM

397 posts, read 588,689 times
I've lived in Evergreen for 5 years and haven't been evacuated once. I know many people who have lived in my town for 50 years and haven't ever been evacuated.

Is there risk? Yes. Does the quality of your everyday living outweigh that risk? Only you can decide.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,595,481 times
Your new Home!!!

Holyoke!!!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
I've lived in Evergreen for 5 years and haven't been evacuated once. I know many people who have lived in my town for 50 years and haven't ever been evacuated.

Is there risk? Yes. Does the quality of your everyday living outweigh that risk? Only you can decide.

That's closer to what I imagined.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:13 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,519,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickandjenn View Post
So I should expect to be evacuated every couple years?
You should hope for the best and plan for the worst. Does that mean that you can literally expect to be evacuated annually or even biannually? No. It so happens that I have lived right next to the mandatory evac zone for two Junes running now, although I wasn't actually forced to evacuate either time. But I don't expect that to happen each and every June for the rest of my time in CO. Even if it did, I wouldn't move because my property is well-mitigated and I like it so it's worth the risk to me.

Personally I don't understand why people in my surrounding neighborhoods like to have their homes nestled inside a thick grove of dry trees. Can't see anything from there anyways. But then they don't understand why I like to live right next to a freight rail where loud horns blow regularly at any hour of the day or night. It's a given that everyone has their own preferences, but you should be aware of the risks and decide if they're worth it or not to you.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,835,354 times
If your property has a clear view of the southern sky, you can get 12mb/s via low latency satellite anywhere in the US.

It's expensive, but very reliable. Every time a storm rolls through, we loose our DSL connection and we use the sat as backup.

You can also get a personal cell tower booster that works anywhere in your house and uses your DSL connection. But it's only as reliable as your DSL connection.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,487,858 times
You need to also check the cell coverage for any property your considering.

Here is some of examples of what you can expect for cell reception. In most remote areas it isn't very good. In Denver metro there are areas that aren't that good either but you can usually switch around your network and find one that works for your house.
Evergreen, CO Coverage Map & Carrier Reviews | CellReception.com

I used to have Comcast internet but every time it rained my connection went out until the ground dried out. I live on over an acre so I'm kind of far from the pedestal. I eventually switched to DSL and have been good since then but if I were running a business on it I'd figure out a way to have a redundant network connection. For any property you are considering you will want to verify your options before you make an offer.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:52 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,245,906 times
Like Otterpods, we live just outside of the last 2 mandatory evacuations. We're in the trees, and with the right weather conditions, we'd be toast. We have lived here 9+ years, and our home has been here 21 years, and the surrounding trees much, much longer, without having burned yet. It could happen anytime, and we're somewhat prepared. But we are OK with risk vs reward of living in such a beautiful setting.

Black Forest, Monument, Woodmoor -- PHOTOS & INFORMATION
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or