Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:16 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I used to grow vegetables. I quit. You know why? Because it was too expensive - water, fertilizer, amendments, seeds, insecticide. And it took a lot of time. I think I grew $20 potatoes.
I came to the same conclusion, to include a flash of brilliance that when my stuff was ready for picking, that every farmer had a stand by the roadside to sell the same stuff for a lot less than it cost me to grow it.

Still, some enjoy the act of gardening, more a hobby than a necessity, and to those folks I say...if ya got any extra beefsteaks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 06:18 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I am partial to homegrown tomatoes. Also, I like to can them. I hate the canned tomatoes in the stores, those hard, one inch cubes! I could probably buy some at a farmer's market, but as Mike said, there's something about the act of gardening itself. We don't usually grow corn anymore b/c it is easy to pick it up at a farmstand.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:33 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,886,108 times
Colorado State University Extension Home Page has a wealth of information from fruit and vegetable gardening, xeriscaping, preparing foods at high altitudes, etc... Also depending on what city or town you move in, the local gardening centers and some of the local governments offer classes on how best to deal with our soils, growing season and such.

I do recommend getting to know the gardening centers in your area. Not those at Home Depot and Lowes, those that have their only purpose as providing plants and seeds. Most of the good ones have been around a good 30 years and can give you some of the best advice on how to deal with local conditions if you are serious about gardening here.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 PM

246 posts, read 1,070,321 times
I am doing it more for the act of it rather than cheap veggies. We're pretty sure my son is suffering from mild Asperger's/adhd and it's really important for me to find common interests for us to do together to help keep things positive. Otherwise I feel like I'm constantly disciplining and he feels like he's constantly in trouble. So that's my motivation...to keep a strong healthy relationship with my son...and eat some yummy veggies inthe process. The one thing he always talks about is gramma's garden in MI and eating the cherry tomatoes right off the plant. He loved it and really misses it. Me too! Thanks for all your responses!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado