U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,493 times

Advertisements

Hello, My BF and I are thinking about moving somewhere different, we are both from the new England area, we currently live In ME for the past year and we love it we just are looking for a little change. We are both RNs that work in the emergency department so we have flexibility on where we can go, we just need a hospital within 45 mins of "home".I am reaching out to see if anyone can help guild me on where to do more research on where to live in Colorado.
this is search criteria for the area we are looking to live; low population,not a lot of traffic,close to a body of water,near a hospital,not a lot of snow-and not to cold all the time. these are just a few things we have on our list to narrow down a spot in CO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:55 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,883,135 times
1. Colorado is a semi-arid steppe climate; there are no big bodies of water by eastern standards.

2. Most hospital jobs are located on the Front Range from Ft. Collins to Pueblo. Colorado does not have the same types of small towns (low population) that New England has. Either the town is really small or you are part of the urban megablob of the Front Range.

3. "Not a lot of snow-and not too cold all the time" means stay out of the mountains.

Try Pueblo or Canon City.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Missy, the main city hospital in COLO SPGS is Memorial Health System in the area east of downtown, with a Level II Trauma Center. They are now working on upgrading to a Level I Trauma Center, the state's first Level I that will be outside of Denver. They expect to do some hiring of people to ramp up that facility. I've seen no timetable but it will happen. That may be an opportunity for you.

Colo Spgs is not the kind of dense city like Boston, NYC, Phila, DC, etc, in fact, very little here comes close to that kind of density except maybe parts of Denver city itself, the vast suburbs of Denver are just that, suburban in nature.

Best advice is to get a job out here anywhere you can, then move around as you learn the region.

The snow along the I-25 corridor from Fort Collins to Pueblo is not really an issue to worry about; snows a bit one day, gone in a day or so. Every several years we might get a real dumper of the stuff but that happens back east too. Don't let that scare you away from anywhere in the corridor.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-03-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-03-2013, 05:35 PM

86,887 posts, read 102,301,239 times
The smaller cities on the Front Range, e.g. Ft. Collins, Loveland, have a reputation as being difficult for nurses to find a job.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 AM

115 posts, read 135,138 times
Near a body of water, not likely to happen. Pueblo has a great riverwalk, but they have a fairly lame hospital. Co. Springs has some fairly decent hospitals and the pay compared to cost of living works out fairly well. Denver has some phenomenal hospitals that would be great working environments, but the cost of living is higher and there is more traffic.

The biggest standing body of water, to my knowledge, within the front range cities big Johnson reservoir. It's not bad, but when you're from Maine it may seem tiny. Uses google maps to look at the water and check the satellite images. Outside of those three cities, there isn't much population. Grand Junction represents the other slopes and is fairly small. You might be able to find work at the hospital there, but you wouldn't have many competing employers to fall back on if things turned out poorly for one of you. Because you need TWO nursing jobs, I'd suggest sticking to cities with at least TWO hospitals, to give you more options if you aren't happy with the work environment. (Okay, I left out Fort Collins, from my understanding traffic was heavy for a city their size but I tend to forget Fort Collins. No fault to them, I just haven't driven through there often enough to remember it.)

Lastly, this is a huge change from Maine. I think you would love it here, but I think that about almost everyone. Sometimes I'm wrong. The weather will be vastly different. The scenery will be vastly different. We have beautiful mountains, but no oceans. We have brown instead of green. Instead of bugs, we have low humidity and high temperature ranges. When I woke up today and looked at the mountains I was reminded how lucky I am to live out here.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 AM

397 posts, read 588,689 times
I just got home from Maine late last night...have been vacationing on Highland Lake in Bridgton every summer for the past 20 years.

Anyhow, small town within 45 minutes of work would be Evergreen, Conifer, Morrison, Indian Hills. These areas sit 30-45 minutes west of Denver. Hospitals that you could choose from depending on where you live (if you choose one of these areas) would be Swedish Medical Center, St. Anthony's Medical Center (newer campus), Littleton Adventist, or Lutheran Medical Center. All would be excellent options for the both of you.

Evergreen, of the 4 areas I named, has the best "small town" feel. There's a decent sized lake for Colorado that has fishing and paddle board, kayak, canoes on it. There's a summer concert series and ice skating in the winter at the lake as well.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:08 PM

1,969 posts, read 1,977,207 times
There are quite a few Kaiser Permanente facilities, if you are looking for a good union job.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
I just got home from Maine late last night...have been vacationing on Highland Lake in Bridgton every summer for the past 20 years.

Anyhow, small town within 45 minutes of work would be Evergreen, Conifer, Morrison, Indian Hills. These areas sit 30-45 minutes west of Denver. Hospitals that you could choose from depending on where you live (if you choose one of these areas) would be Swedish Medical Center, St. Anthony's Medical Center (newer campus), Littleton Adventist, or Lutheran Medical Center. All would be excellent options for the both of you.

Evergreen, of the 4 areas I named, has the best "small town" feel. There's a decent sized lake for Colorado that has fishing and paddle board, kayak, canoes on it. There's a summer concert series and ice skating in the winter at the lake as well.
On two RN salaries, this couple would be hard put to live in Evergreen.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM

397 posts, read 588,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
On two RN salaries, this couple would be hard put to live in Evergreen.
I disagree. Did you notice the "RN" in my screen name? I spent 11 years as a pediatric nurse. I know firsthand what nurses make. In addition, my sister and BIL are both nurses in area hospitals (as well as many friends) and I know current salaries for staff nurses in Denver. While the nursing salaries in Denver can't compare to NYC or California, two nurses can still have a very nice standard of living in CO.

How do you know what the OP can or can not afford? What type of house they may want? How much of a down payment they may have saved? To just throw a comment out like that isn't helping the OP.

I've been through this many times on this board. Evergreen is not a town made up solely of millionaires. I really don't understand why people "down the hill" have that mentality. There are plenty of $300-$400K homes that are very nice in many parts of Evergreen. Neighborhooods like Evergreen Meadows and Evergreen Highlands are just two examples. There are hundreds of homes between the two that are very affordable for two nurses. The everyday cost of living for food, gas, clothes, utilities, etc. is no different in this town than in metro Denver.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
I disagree. Did you notice the "RN" in my screen name? I spent 11 years as a pediatric nurse. I know firsthand what nurses make. In addition, my sister and BIL are both nurses in area hospitals (as well as many friends) and I know current salaries for staff nurses in Denver. While the nursing salaries in Denver can't compare to NYC or California, two nurses can still have a very nice standard of living in CO.

How do you know what the OP can or can not afford? What type of house they may want? How much of a down payment they may have saved? To just throw a comment out like that isn't helping the OP.

I've been through this many times on this board. Evergreen is not a town made up solely of millionaires. I really don't understand why people "down the hill" have that mentality. There are plenty of $300-$400K homes that are very nice in many parts of Evergreen. Neighborhooods like Evergreen Meadows and Evergreen Highlands are just two examples. There are hundreds of homes between the two that are very affordable for two nurses. The everyday cost of living for food, gas, clothes, utilities, etc. is no different in this town than in metro Denver.
No, I did not attach any significance to your screen name, sorry. I do not know what the OP can afford; you are correct. However, I took from her OP that it was her and her boyfriend that they are young. Also, do note this in the OP:
Quote:
not a lot of snow
. Somehow, I don't think Evergreen is the place. OP, Evergreen does get more snow than the rest of the Denver metro area, in fact, an average of 156" per year, more than twice that of Denver at 60".
Evergreen, CO Weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado