U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:03 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 330,433 times

Advertisements

Thanks Mike!

Mike, have you actually lived in the Fort Collins/Loveland area? Just curious...

Old 10-19-2006, 12:08 PM

20,844 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Thanks Mike! Mike, have you actually lived in the Fort Collins/Loveland area? Just curious...
No, been there both for house hunting and for just enjoying this great state.
s/Mike

Old 10-21-2006, 03:09 AM

45 posts, read 312,323 times
Default Wyy I carry

I am in Idaho and moving back to Colorado Springs in the spring. I have a conceiled weapons permit and ocassionally carry a handgun. No, I feel no danger, except for a couple times at home because of my current job.

I carry because I spend alot of time in the woods hunting. When I bowhunt I carry a handgun. The hug-a-bunnies got the fed to reitroduce wolves here, Grizzlys aren't unheard of and cougars are everywhere. Since I carry while hunting, or anytime I'm in the woods with my kids, I got a conceiled weapons permit so I don't have to take the gun off for the trip home. This way if I put my coat on over my shoulder holster I'm still legal. There is one other reason for the permit. If I go in to buy a gun I (like everyone else) must wait for the instant check to come back and this can take a longer in some areas and at certain times. With the Conceiled Weapons permit all I have to do is show it, fill out the paperwork, pay the man and walk out with my gun.

One thing to remember, most who wonder why anyone would ever carry are those who view guns differently than we do out here. We see guns as tools, no more dangerous than a hammer in the right hands. When we see someone with a gun in their vehicle window or in their jacket we don't get squirmy because we expect it.

Besides, if someone does feel they are in danger and wish to carry a gun, so long as they are a law-abiding citizen, they should make the decision not some out-of-touch politician or bureacrat.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:38 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times
cluckk
I can understand carrying a handgun while bowhunting; grizzlies, while uncommon, are quite unpredictable if they do turn up.
But are you seriously concerned that a wolf is actually going to *attack* you? I've heard of food-habituated wolves in Canada and Alaska, but even those are extremely rare there and likely non-existant in the lower 48.
In Colorado, there have been a few sporadic sightings of possible migrating wolves, but mostly they are dead animals: either shot, poisoned or run over.
And looking at Idaho's wolf management, where the wolf is still a threatened species and continues to be illegally shot and poisoned, I'd say the wolves have much more to fear than the humans.
Regardless, at the present time,the only four-legged critter you'll have to protect yourself from in Colorado is the mountain lion, danger from coyotes is negligible.
Just be careful field-dressing; chronic wasting disease is still around.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:02 PM

117 posts, read 577,235 times
Well, I wouldn't be so sure about not having to worry about coyotes. Maybe Colorado coyotes are different than California coyotes.

Not long ago a coyote attacked a young child at a golf course across the street from me.
It was daylight and the golfers were having a good game, and all of a sudden a coyote comes up on the golfers and attacks a golfers child. The report was that the golfers had to beat the coyote with their golf clubs to get it to let go of the child.

I never was to concerned about coyotes before - other than for my small animals, but now...you bet!

Old 10-22-2006, 12:43 AM

Forgot to add:
I asked a CO LEO (law enforcement officer), a similar question about gun laws.
The following is part of what he told me.
____

Colorado has concealed carry permits available if you show proof of training and pay for a background check, but you aren't required to have a permit to carry concealed in your car for personal defense purposes (assuming you aren't a felon, and are legally of age to carry a gun, etc - car is essentially considered an extension of your home).

Old 10-22-2006, 04:16 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Well, I wouldn't be so sure about not having to worry about coyotes. Maybe Colorado coyotes are different than California coyotes.
Not long ago a coyote attacked a young child at a golf course across the street from me.
It was daylight and the golfers were having a good game, and all of a sudden a coyote comes up on the golfers and attacks a golfers child. The report was that the golfers had to beat the coyote with their golf clubs to get it to let go of the child.
I never was to concerned about coyotes before - other than for my small animals, but now...you bet!
Maybe California coyotes (certainly more adaptable than wolves) have had a longer time to be habituated to people and/or food--that must have been a very hungry coyote. Or a very sick one--many of these attacks turn out to be a rabid animal.
I think an armed grown man out hunting would be okay. I saw foxes and coyotes regularly in central Denver; they slept on the golf course by day and roamed our neighborhood into the early morning hours.
They'd stand and watch us stroll by, it was obvious they were curious, sometimes they'd even trot behind, however everything was copacetic.
I am sure there were times where they observed me and I never knew it.
But then I was walking a very large dog. Denver coyotes do very well hunting rabbits and mice and raiding garbage cans, but they are indeed wild animals and I am sure they'd take a house cat or small dog.
Nature is not like a Disney movie; things can get ugly; obviously a hunter a remote area is more interested in being predator than prey.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:51 PM

It was a hungry coyote and they were able to thankfully catch it later that day.

Actually, we have more of a problem with Pitbulls and other types of peoples pet dogs than the coyotes.

Last edited by Thunderbird; 10-25-2006 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Deleted OT Question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado