Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,985 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be in Colorado from 12/26 to 1/11 and we would like to find a cabin, preferably away from the major ski resorts. Ideally, we will find a couple of different areas and spend a week at each. We are looking for a secluded place (or two)with a hot tub and a mountain view. We also would like an area where the likelihood of snowfall is the highest. Can anyone steer me in the best direction, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times
This place is a bit rustic but is totally off the grid. Very cool place.
Home | Tomichi Lodge

Old 08-07-2013, 12:45 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
I guess the first question is how are you getting to Colorado, how will you be getting around the state, and do you have experience driving in the Snow?

Aside from that, try:

Mt. Princeton Hot Springs in Nathrop (near Buena Vista in southern Colorado).
Cottonwood Hot Springs is near Buena Vista
Antero Hot Springs is in the area as well

Old 08-07-2013, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,985 times
Thank you for the quick replies! We are flying into Denver on 12/26... I have rented a Jeep Liberty for the 15 days we will be visiting. I have a fair amount of experience driving in the snow. I lived in Upstate NY for three years and also logged nearly a million miles driving a semi in the 90's, much of that in the northern states. We are hoping to get as much snow as we can We are looking for some peace and quiet, alone time without the kids, beautiful scenery, mountain vistas....Is it December yet?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:23 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
You could look on a website called Vacation Rentals By Owner and find all sorts of homes and condos.

One place you might try would be Estes Park, which is in the mountains at the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. Also Grand Lake. But you can't drive on the road connecting the two through the Park in the winter.

For lots of snow and cold, how about the Leadville area?

Btw, I second the suggestion for Mt. Princeton hot springs. Beautiful place.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Pagosa Springs! If you don't want to stay IN the resort, there are some decent Hotels/Vacation rentals in town and you can just get day passes to the resort.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Oh, my... alone w/o the kids...

I would definately do Juanita Hot Springs (near Gunnison) and fit in the other hot springs too (including Glenwood)
Waunita Hot Springs Ranch - Guest Ranch and Bed & Breakfast - Gunnison, Colorado We were there one week ALL BY OURSELVES, the lodge staff let us have the run of the place, and we had a great time. Same happened in Winter Park (summer trip), and in several places in Switzerland & Spain, We seem to 'luck-out' when we need a break.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 PM

38 posts, read 55,543 times
Estes Park has some nice cabin rentals with private hot tubs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-09-2013, 11:40 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Most of Colorado's snowfall occurs in February and March. You may or may not get a decent amount of snowfall in December. I'm sure you will get some snow, but probably not the snowed in feeling it seems like you are desiring. With that said, I would consider looking at places in N. Colorado. Perhaps Granby or Steamboat Springs would have what you are looking for. Estes Park is also a good suggestion.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
The Winding River Resort near Grand Lake has winter cabin rentals. Just a short drive to the small town of Grand Lake.

Backs up to national park land and some of the headwaters of the Colorado River flow through it. Snowmobile rentals in winter. On a clear winter night one can see so many stars in the night sky it's amazing.

The drive up there is gorgeous, going over Berthoud Pass on U.S. 40 is quite scenic.

Here's a directory of places, there may be many other such directories out there.

A view of Grand Lake on a windy September morn....

[/url]

Some views of Berthoud Pass on U.S. 40, taken in Sept of a recent year.

- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado