U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 05:00 AM

4 posts, read 7,510 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a property in Creede. What are people's thoughts of the city? Love to hear anything about it. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 AM

463 posts, read 978,765 times
City????? Not trying to be a smarty pants, but have you ever been there? It's a pretty small town.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,510 times
Yes I have been there. I was trying to get some more information about the area that's all.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,518,955 times
Like Lugnutz said, it is pretty small, so it's doubtful that there will be many folks with an intimate knowledge of the place on here. It's in a very pretty part of the state. I have a lot of friends that go up to the surrounding areas for Elk hunting and they say it's some of the best wilderness we have, with a really solid herd up there. I'm not a hunter myself (nothing against it though) but my impression is that if you're an avid hunter or some other sort of outdoor enthusiast, you'll probably love it. But if you go there expecting a happening mountain town scene like Aspen, Telluride or even Ouray, it may not be for you.

I wish I had some more intimate details for you. I've driven around the area briefly but haven't spent much time there yet. Want to, though.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Yup, minimal activity / services, MAXIMUM opportunity for using survival skills.

Perfect for some, Nightmare for many.

Be warned... some friends have moved to such towns due to low property costs and a SURE BET job. They buy a place and find out the employer is IMPOSSIBLE to work for, They are STUCK and often without a job.

If you have other plans than needing a secure job and not mind traveling for services, it might be GREAT.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,052,603 times
Use the "data" side of this site to see a lot of details about any city/town.

Here's the page on Creede, showing that it once was in the business of mining silver but that stopped @1985. From what one sees on the aerial maps and on the data page this town is mostly in the tourist and retirement home industry these days, with drives of 40+ miles to hospitals and more sizable towns.

Might be a good place to get away from it all. Are you coming here for the MJ business?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,020,003 times
Wink Remote and yet known Creede

As many towns in the San Juan Mountains, Creede was founded and its economy dependent upon hard rock mining. Predominately silver, in Creede's case. Creede was one of the latter of these camps, and if once thriving—once burned down and rebuilt—that party largely ended with the repeal of the silver act in 1893.

The last operating mine closed some two decades ago (although some talk of new mining activity), with summer tourism having become the mainstay of the limited economy.

Decades ago the wide river valley of the Rio Grande River had but a few dude ranches and summer cabins dotting it. With relatively rapid growth since it has infilled with many second vacation homes. In result the town of Creede proper has grown somewhat, if not so much geographically then in prosperity. From being fairly somnescent, with one summer mainstay the renowned Creede Repertory Theater, this town of late has become far more upscale. If in size and offerings still nowhere the same as an Aspen or anything in Summit County.

For one thing, Creede is remote. It is the largest and about only town in Mineral County, also its county seat in a county mostly national forest and wilderness. If now a few more shops, they are largely dependent upon summer tourism. There is no ski area, distant Wolf Creek being the closest, with winter being altogether different and quiet. Traveling northwest on CO 149 over Slumgullion Pass will only at last find one in similarly small Lake City. In the other direction is the tourist town of South Fork, then Del Norte, Monte Vista and Alamosa in the San Luis Valley. Last I checked, there was only the small Kentucky Belle Market in Creede. If that didn't suite, then only the slightly larger Rainbow Grocery in South Fork. About the same options in Del Norte, or a small Safeway in Monte Vista. Alamosa is the biggest thing around, with a Walmart and so forth, at roughly an hour one-way from Creede. If anything larger, then one will be contemplating the longer drive on to either Santa Fe or Albuquerque, or Pueblo/Colorado Springs/Denver.

By most standards Creede would not be the place to begin a thriving career or continue one. There is certainly some money in the area, as witnessed by the expensive "cabins" built as second homes, but that money from elsewhere.

It is a beautiful mountain area, and despite the development of late still one of the more undiscovered areas of Colorado. At least by the Front Range, being in a sense closer to and favored by Texans. And as all Colorado increasingly challenged by our rapidly changing climate. The West Fork Complex Fire that began near the summit of Wolf Creek Pass, if more or less contained now, burned some 109,615 acres, at one point threatening to wipe out South Fork. Creede was never in direct danger, but one of this triad of wildfires, the Papoose Fire, burned over 49,000 acres just east of the Rio Grande Reservoir (that being west of Creede, near the headwaters of the Rio Grande River along the Continental Divide). This area enjoys close proximity to such as the Weminuche Wilderness, but all these forests and the greater ecosystem are under threat in this day and age.

As perhaps curiosity, the 2013 movie The Lone Ranger was filmed near Creede in the summer of 2012. Some scenes were shot just north of Creede in the scenic narrow canyons still adorned with ancient mine installations of heavy timbers and rusted steel. While this film may go down in history as a major box office flop, that any movie, especially one starring Johnny Depp, should be filmed in the area was a very big deal. That might give some perspective of the constitution of Creede.

It is a cold place in the winter, as well quiet. Even the activities of summer modest compared to other more well known tourism venues in Colorado. Which can be an attraction to some, and as a beautiful area just that wished for.

Last edited by Idunn; 08-08-2013 at 11:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or