U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 PM

2,943 posts, read 7,305,481 times

Advertisements

Yea, like several other have said, car registration here is absolutely effing ridiculous. They treat vehicles as real estate here, charging you an "ownership tax" on top of registration fees. My truck is 10 years old and the fees just this year dropped under $200 to $183.00. When I bought it, it was over $450!!!

That's my only gripe about Colorado, other than our completely overreaching state senators, which is a topic for another day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:14 AM

35 posts, read 57,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfskullpolo View Post
I'm sure there are a few who would disagree with me, but to those people I say; If you think things would be better in Florida, by all means, pack up and move there. See you when you get back! LOL
There aren't going to many people who argue with you. What has happened to Florida is a cautionary tale. It's also something as as a country we will have to reconcile at some point.

However Florida was always thought to be a cesspool, virtually uninhabitable before statehood and AC.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:53 PM

4,127 posts, read 4,762,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkskw View Post
There aren't going to many people who argue with you. What has happened to Florida is a cautionary tale. It's also something as as a country we will have to reconcile at some point.

However Florida was always thought to be a cesspool, virtually uninhabitable before statehood and AC.

Saturday cannot come fast enough...

Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 PM

111 posts, read 197,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Like mentioned, car registrations are ridiculous. I just paid $600 for my truck, and almost $300 for my motorcycle.
Nothing is as bad as Wyoming - The combination of state sales tax + 1.5% of MSRP (less dest chg) is one of the highest I ever paid for a vehicle license plate. The excise (use) tax extends for seven years until it levels off - by which time, you need a new vehicle. Montana had a similar tax, but no sales tax.

The cost to insure same model vehicles in Miami, Cody & Kalispell were - outrageous, not too bad and very cheap respectively. To do same in Colorado is about the same as Montana.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:31 PM

111 posts, read 197,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkskw View Post
No one was supposed to live in Florida - it was a place to visit and not live. Ask the Micousukee and Seminoles.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,214 times
The other problem is they have also found a way to ruin what beauty Florida has..

Rivers Coalition - Save our River, Stop the Discharges - Dedicated to restoring and preserving our St. Lucie River!

There are signs up all along both estuaries on the east and west side of Lake Okeechobee warning people not to go in because of contamination. The one last thing I could do in Florida was kayak and fish, but is slowly being taken away.

I am extremely jealous of everyone who has made the jump. I am a native to Florida, but belong with a board under my feet or my hands latched tight to handlebars flying down a hill. I am planning my escape here soon, looking to be right around the turn of the new year. I most likely am headed into the mountains though. Any recommendation for living near a ski town? I fell in love with Steamboat a couple years back...

Old 01-29-2017, 08:49 AM

24 posts, read 17,361 times
Hi all!

Decided to resurrect this thread instead of creating a new one...

I've been thinking about moving to Colorado (Denver metro) for the last 3-5 years and I know that things (housing) have changed significantly. I'm curious to see if someone has recently moved from Ft. Lauderdale area to suburbs of Denver and how their COL has changed.

Also, maybe someone from Denver metro can share their perspective on the following items:
1) Job market for IT. I currently work as a Sr. Systems/Infrastructure engineer.
2) Housing. I live in a 290K townhouse in an area with 9/9/9 schools and pay approx. $4K property taxes, and $1.5K home insurance, $294/Monthly HOA
3) Car insurance. $155 for two 2015 cars - sedan and SUV
4) Utilities. Electric: $200 monthly for 4/2.5 house, Water/Trash: $110, Internet/TV: $70
5) Daycare. $640 for my 3 y/o

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:50 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Real estate taxes are 0.6% of market vale.
Daycare is way more expensive. My daughter pays $17K per year for her 6-emonth old.

Housing costs are the biggie.
Search Zillow to see how much you will pay.
More.
A lot more.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 AM

24 posts, read 17,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Real estate taxes are 0.6% of market vale.
Daycare is way more expensive. My daughter pays $17K per year for her 6-emonth old.

Housing costs are the biggie.
Search Zillow to see how much you will pay.
More.
A lot more.
I used to spend on daycare around $15K per year when our child was around 1-2 y/o. The cost is usually a lot higher for kids under 2-3. We were able to find a daycare with a decent cost but it took us a while to get in after waiting for an opening.

I searched Zillow and the area that we're interested in (Highlands Ranch) has some properties in 350-400K range that might be even better than our $300K townhouse in South Florida. I'm not sure if it's easy to snatch those and if "bidding wars" still exist in Denver metro. Should I call Highlands Ranch suburbs of Denver instead of metro?

Old 01-30-2017, 07:25 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,149,410 times
I would move to Colorado right away, do not delay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado