U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:28 AM

24 posts, read 17,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I would move to Colorado right away, do not delay.
I'm not sure if was sarcasm, but I wouldn't move until I do my DD. And have a job lined up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:29 AM

6,908 posts, read 6,506,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALNiKO View Post
I used to spend on daycare around $15K per year when our child was around 1-2 y/o. The cost is usually a lot higher for kids under 2-3. We were able to find a daycare with a decent cost but it took us a while to get in after waiting for an opening.

I searched Zillow and the area that we're interested in (Highlands Ranch) has some properties in 350-400K range that might be even better than our $300K townhouse in South Florida. I'm not sure if it's easy to snatch those and if "bidding wars" still exist in Denver metro. Should I call Highlands Ranch suburbs of Denver instead of metro?
Highlands Ranch is a suburb in the metro area.

As for daycare cost, my 3 year old is in preschool at a private pre school. He does half days, but if he were full day it would amount to $18K a year. I'm not sure what non preschool daycare costs.

Edit: should add that at age 4 he will move to Denver Public Schools ECE program, then it gets much cheaper. Highlands Ranch is Douglas County School District. I'm sure they have a program too.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 AM

13,958 posts, read 20,218,130 times
Quote:
not sure if it's easy to snatch those and if "bidding wars" still exist in Denver metro.
Bidding wars?
See http://www.city-data.com/forum/46778326-post338.html

Old 01-30-2017, 11:39 AM

24 posts, read 17,381 times
So besides housing cost, which I never expected to be less than $350-400K for an average house/townhome in a decent suburban neighborhood, are there any differences in utilities, car insurance, gas, etc when compared to South Florida? I feel like, when taking into account lower property and insurance premiums, it doesn't seem as bad as many people may think. I also tend to disagree with folks who find South Florida (Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach metros) inexpensive with lower COL than Denver metro.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:15 PM

6,908 posts, read 6,506,139 times
Quote:
So besides housing cost, which I never expected to be less than $350-400K for an average house/townhome in a decent suburban neighborhood, are there any differences in utilities, car insurance, gas, etc when compared to South Florida? I feel like, when taking into account lower property and insurance premiums, it doesn't seem as bad as many people may think. I also tend to disagree with folks who find South Florida (Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach metros) inexpensive with lower COL than Denver metro.
I would suggest reading in the Denver forum and posting there. There are numerous Highlands Ranch residents who post there.

We have hail storms, you have hurricanes. Not sure what that does to insurance.

We don't need to pound the A/C in the summer like you do in FL, but we do need to heat in the winter. Heat is typically cheaper.

Gas prices are typically not bad here.

You're going to need to buy a bunch of new clothes.

Factor in annual season passes and ski gear if you want to ski.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:22 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,815,163 times
Groceries, child care, remodeling, and traveling to the beach is a lot more expensive in Colorado.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:49 AM

16,965 posts, read 8,688,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I moved from Hallandale Beach to CO. COL is slightly higher in CO.

Salaries are substantially lower. My wife as an attorney makes less than half of what she did in Miami.

Like mentioned, car registrations are ridiculous. I just paid $600 for my truck, and almost $300 for my motorcycle.

Don't forget that the legislature is going to begin discussing increasing the state income tax here. Something you don't have to pay in FL.
Salaries, and expenses depend a lot on where you live in Colorado, as in most states. I am sure you wife would make a lot more in Denver, than Grand Junction, or wherever you are living in western CO. When I lived in the Denver burbs the COL was very similar to where I came from in the Philly burbs. Shockingly similar. Now housing costs in the Front Range have gone through the roof, so that has changed things a bit.

If the OP is moving to the Denver area, I think the COL would be higher than S. FL due a lot to housing costs.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:17 PM

1,112 posts, read 542,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Salaries, and expenses depend a lot on where you live in Colorado, as in most states. I am sure you wife would make a lot more in Denver, than Grand Junction, or wherever you are living in western CO. When I lived in the Denver burbs the COL was very similar to where I came from in the Philly burbs. Shockingly similar. Now housing costs in the Front Range have gone through the roof, so that has changed things a bit.

If the OP is moving to the Denver area, I think the COL would be higher than S. FL due a lot to housing costs.
I lived in Colorado for four years back in the late 90s to early 2000s. I did not want to leave, but
the job market died for software engineering (or engineering in general). I reluctantly left and got
a job in Florida in 2002. I lived there until 2017. I lived in South FL for one year, but most of the
time I lived in Tallahassee.

The affluent side of Miami is definitely more expensive than Colorado - even Boulder. Miami Beach
is absurd. So is Coral Gables. A single person apartment can cost over $2000. The "cheaper"
parts of South FL would be up towards Boca Raton and West Palm Beach. But Palm Beach also gets
expensive.

Orlando and Tampa or somewhat in the middle for costs. The smaller towns get less expensive in
Central FL or the east coast like Fort Pierce, St. Cloud, Clermont, Dade City, Cocoa Beach, etc.
North FL is generally less expensive than South and Central FL. The FL Panhandle is the cheapest
part of the state.

So, the FL Panhandle and Jacksonville are less expensive than Boulder and Denver. But
some parts of South FL are far more costly than Boulder.

As a guy who saw the recession of the early 90s and eary 2000s in Denver and Boulder I am
generally very suspicious of the job market. From having experienced those two awful waves
of job droughts, I think it would be wise to have multiple credentials in Boulder or Denver to
make things secure. For example, I knew a nurse in Boulder who also had an engineering degree -
an unusual combination but very powerful to survive the recessions of the early 90s and 2000s (which
she did). I did not.

My preference for Florida is along the I-4 corridor for a job, home, and demographic match
for someone from the southwest. Just know there are no mountains in Florida. When I was in CO
I ran up Mt. Sanitas in Boulder hundreds of times and often went up the "fourteeners" on weekends.
That lifestyle died in Florida (LOL). But years later I am making a comeback here in Phoenix and
reinvigorated the mountain running. I don't miss Florida.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:26 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,010,632 times
Without any doubt whatsoever, Downtown Boulder housing is more expensive than ANYWHERE in Florida PSF. ; even the most affluent areas of South Florida like Jupiter Isle. Boulder has more in common with California housing prices and demographics. If one wants that nice Sanitas view it will really cost you; $1,000+ PSF. for the most desired West side hoods of Boulder is now common place.
Looked at albeit a luxury two bedroom loft on 9th and Pearl with a friend who was considering a move , it was $ 4,200 mo. for 1,200 sqft.

Last edited by Scott5280; 01-23-2018 at 01:45 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 08:17 AM

82 posts, read 52,436 times
I'm so glad this has been resurrected. I've been wanting to leave Florida for the Rockies for a while but had written Colorado off as an option because I keep hearing it's too expensive to live there. I've been focusing my attention on the Salt Lake area, but the more I hear about the inversions the more I wonder if Colorado deserves another look. I noticed this thread title in the side bar and am so happy to have found it! Everyone's provided a lot of information, albeit some of it outdated. But everyone has offered great food for thought. I'll keep following, in case anyone provides more current info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado