U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 07:44 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,590,164 times

Advertisements

From currently living in northeastern Florida, aka Jacksonville, since January 2009:

Registration for a new/newer vehicle will be high in either state. That is why so many people who live in our area, keep their vehicle registered (somehow) with the state they came from.

There is no Smog Inspection in Florida AND wife and I can definitely tell that sometimes when driving down a street and seeing a vehicle that almost looks like it's on fire due to a bad exhaust system. Lucky the air-quality here isn't like Los Angeles!

If a person is a boater, storage fees here are like double what they are in Colorado and Colorado is freshwater lakes only. Saltwater and "brackish" water can really mess up an engine and/or outdrive. We have found that out already, even though we do flush both with fresh water every time after returning from the water.

Houses aren't cheap in the nicer areas here and neither is leasing an apartment.

Wages are good. Some would say "great" here, but Denver has nice wages as well.

As for wife and I, we are visiting Loveland this coming summer. Lived south of Denver for 5 1/2 years, so we already know what the weather can be like, but the things we really miss about the Front Range, definitely aren't here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 08:01 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
From currently living in northeastern Florida, aka Jacksonville, since January 2009:

Registration for a new/newer vehicle will be high in either state. That is why so many people who live in our area, keep their vehicle registered (somehow) with the state they came from.

There is no Smog Inspection in Florida AND wife and I can definitely tell that sometimes when driving down a street and seeing a vehicle that almost looks like it's on fire due to a bad exhaust system. Lucky the air-quality here isn't like Los Angeles!

If a person is a boater, storage fees here are like double what they are in Colorado and Colorado is freshwater lakes only. Saltwater and "brackish" water can really mess up an engine and/or outdrive. We have found that out already, even though we do flush both with fresh water every time after returning from the water.

Houses aren't cheap in the nicer areas here and neither is leasing an apartment.

Wages are good. Some would say "great" here, but Denver has nice wages as well.

As for wife and I, we are visiting Loveland this coming summer. Lived south of Denver for 5 1/2 years, so we already know what the weather can be like, but the things we really miss about the Front Range, definitely aren't here.
When my grandparents were still alive and spent winters in Boca, they kept a Florida registration on their cars. It was cheaper than Colorado.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
When my grandparents were still alive and spent winters in Boca, they kept a Florida registration on their cars. It was cheaper than Colorado.
We know "Snowbirds" that do that, but I'm talking about the ones that live here permanently. Even though there is a high percentage of Navy here, there is also a high percentage of out-of-state plates as well. There is a difference between an out-of-state rental car and someone's car that has decals on the back window.

Don't know how these folks register their vehicle in another state, but they do it.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 PM

1,100 posts, read 539,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I moved from Hallandale Beach to CO. COL is slightly higher in CO.

Salaries are substantially lower. My wife as an attorney makes less than half of what she did in Miami.

Like mentioned, car registrations are ridiculous. I just paid $600 for my truck, and almost $300 for my motorcycle.

Don't forget that the legislature is going to begin discussing increasing the state income tax here. Something you don't have to pay in FL.
I moved from Colorado to Florida when the engineering job market went down in 2002. The only job I could find was in Florida.

Colorado is more expensive than "some" parts of Florida. North FL, the Panhandle, and some parts of Central FL are less expensive than CO. The state has no income tax. But Coral Gables and Miami Beach are definitely far more expensive than Colorado. I have lived in both Tallahassee and Fort Lauderdale. The cost of living in Boulder seems similar to Fort Lauderdale - not as bad as Miami but far more expensive than the FL Panhandle.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:33 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I moved from Colorado to Florida when the engineering job market went down in 2002. The only job I could find was in Florida.

Colorado is more expensive than "some" parts of Florida. North FL, the Panhandle, and some parts of Central FL are less expensive than CO. The state has no income tax. But Coral Gables and Miami Beach are definitely far more expensive than Colorado. I have lived in both Tallahassee and Fort Lauderdale. The cost of living in Boulder seems similar to Fort Lauderdale - not as bad as Miami but far more expensive than the FL Panhandle.
The city of Denver is more expensive on a per square foot basis than the city of Miami.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:09 PM

86,888 posts, read 102,281,764 times
There are many COL calculators on the internet. They're good for starts.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:52 AM

1,857 posts, read 532,279 times
Electric and gas bills are cheaper than the US avg, but the water bill more than makes up for it making utility costs higher than most places. The 12 years we lived in Castle Rock our water bill was $140/mo, and we fell into the lowest usage group. Property taxes are low, but home values and really f'g high. So are vehicle yearly registration fees. In general CO is very expensive when all factors are figured in, much more so than FL.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Electric and gas bills are cheaper than the US avg, but the water bill more than makes up for it making utility costs higher than most places. The 12 years we lived in Castle Rock our water bill was $140/mo, and we fell into the lowest usage group. Property taxes are low, but home values and really f'g high. So are vehicle yearly registration fees. In general CO is very expensive when all factors are figured in, much more so than FL.

Actually, I think a lot of the "expense" depends on how people live. When we move, we won't be buying a house or condo, only renting and rent definitely isn't cheap in parts of Jax or Florida in general. Right now, we are paying $1,300 a month rent for a two bedroom "bungalow" apartment. The complex is some 20+ years old! For boating in Colorado, we won't need SeaTow and boat storage is less than half of the cost there than it is here. When we were at Atlantic RV/Boat Storage, we were paying $133 a month and there it's like $60 a month. And, will only have one vehicle, not two, like now.

But, as I always say, "for those that love Jax and/or Florida, stay and enjoy".

Old 06-01-2018, 09:39 AM

6,526 posts, read 10,194,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Your average water bill was $140/mo? The only time out water bill (for a family of 5) ever comes close to that is May-September when the sprinklers are on. The rest of the year it's around $70/mo for water and sewer.

FWIW, there's no amount of cost savings in the world that would ever convince me to live in a flat, humid s**thole like Florida.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:41 AM

1,857 posts, read 532,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Actually, I think a lot of the "expense" depends on how people live. When we move, we won't be buying a house or condo, only renting and rent definitely isn't cheap in parts of Jax or Florida in general. Right now, we are paying $1,300 a month rent for a two bedroom "bungalow" apartment. The complex is some 20+ years old! For boating in Colorado, we won't need SeaTow and boat storage is less than half of the cost there than it is here. When we were at Atlantic RV/Boat Storage, we were paying $133 a month and there it's like $60 a month. And, will only have one vehicle, not two, like now.

But, as I always say, "for those that love Jax and/or Florida, stay and enjoy".
$1300 won't get you anything on the front range, that is dirt cheap for a 2 br compared to CO. As far as water goes, leave your boat there is nowhere near the front range that its worth bringing a boat to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado