U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:15 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,588,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Loveboating lives in a Florida, has lived here, and wants to come back.

Thanks SkyDog77. Don't think he understood, and don't know why, that we use to live on The Front Range in Parker and had a Bowrider back then. We were very satisfied with the lakes we'd been on.

Again, thanks for letting them know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 01:29 PM

1,857 posts, read 531,417 times
They aren't lakes, they are reservoirs more the size of giant pools than proper lakes. Watching people water ski on them is like watching someone play with a drone indoors. I tried fishing one time in the Chatfield reservoir, after 3 hours I was pretty convinced it didn't have any fish. Colorado is great for a lot of things, watersports isn't one of them.

Last edited by duke944; 06-01-2018 at 02:52 PM..

Old 06-01-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
They aren't lakes, they are reservoirs more the size of giant pools than proper lakes. Watching people water ski on them is like watching someone play with a drone indoors. I tried fishing one time in the Cherry Creek reservoir, after 3 hours I was pretty convinced it didn't have any fish. Colorado is great for a lot of things, watersports isn't one of them.
Well, this is your feeling, but definitely NOT ours. There are plenty of boaters that use these lakes. Chatfield is a Reservoir, but many locals call it Chatfield Lake and the same goes for CC. Carter, Boyd and Horsetooth are all called lakes.

We caught plenty of nice size Rainbows when fishing at Chatfield.

We like the boating much better in Colorado than anywhere here in Florida.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:43 PM

1,857 posts, read 531,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, this is your feeling, but definitely NOT ours. There are plenty of boaters that use these lakes. Chatfield is a Reservoir, but many locals call it Chatfield Lake and the same goes for CC. Carter, Boyd and Horsetooth are all called lakes.

We caught plenty of nice size Rainbows when fishing at Chatfield.

We like the boating much better in Colorado than anywhere here in Florida.
I lived in the area for 16 years and not once did i ever hear someone refer to any of these reservoirs as a "lake." I don't think you understand the difference between lakes and reservoirs, maybe you should google it. None of them are lakes by any definition other than your own. None of them are bigger than what I would consider pond size, but since they are manmade they can't be called ponds correctly either.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:50 PM

6,522 posts, read 10,191,303 times
Quote:
I lived in the area for 16 years and not once did i ever hear someone refer to any of these reservoirs as a "lake." I don't think you understand the difference between lakes and reservoirs, maybe you should google it. None of them are lakes by any definition other than your own. None of them are bigger than what I would consider pond size, but since they are manmade they can't be called ponds correctly either.
Good grief let it go. They've already said they've lived here before (repeatedly), they know exactly what they're getting into, and they're ok with it. At this point you're getting your dander up over what amounts to splitting hairs. FWIW - Lake of the Ozarks...not a lake.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:53 PM

4,657 posts, read 1,324,514 times
Horsetooth is 6 miles long with 25 miles of shoreline and a max depth of 200 feet. Carter Lake is 3 miles long and about a mile wide. No, these aren't huge lakes, as can be found in wetter states, but they certainly aren't ponds.

Colorado isn't known for boating or water sports, other than white water rafting, but I think they are large enough to satisfy someone, who wants a nicer climate and still wants to be able to enjoy a body of water.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:32 PM

Thank you, bluescreen73 and EastwardBound.

I just looked up all three, Horsetooth, Boyd and Carter and they were called lakes.

Is there anyway I can make this person understand that we know the difference between Mead, Havasu and Powell and those Colorado lakes? We happen to like the smaller bodies of water. Horsetooth was huge and very deep to us, but we still cruised it in a 1989 16’ Invader Bowrider and had fun.

Looking very forward to getting away from “gator land” waters and back into freshwater. Freshwater boating is much, much better for an old boat. Our current one is a 1992 20’ Cuddy.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:01 PM

209 posts, read 119,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I compared Jacksonville, FL and Castle Rock, CO for monthly water bills for 6000 gal/mo consumption.
They were the same at $65 until I saw this: "Monthly Wastewater Service Charge for New Customers $36" for Castle Rock.
Denver would be $48.
Arvada would be $30.
Aurora would be $60.

When you irrigate your lawn, the cost in Colorado (except for Arvada) escalates rapidly.

P.S. It appears that Atlanta charges $150/mo for 6000 gallons.
My water bill is about $25 a month for 3-5K gallons. The highest was when my garden hose burst, 32K, $100. Live near Pueblo reservoir, maybe that 440,000,000 cubic meters of water has something to do with it.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:37 PM

3,043 posts, read 2,076,221 times
Quote:

Many of these incorporate lake as part of their name, whether they are natural or not, and some of these were lakes that were dammed up to make them larger. You should also know that, by definition and despite being behind a dam, a reservoir functions identically to a lake in nearly all regards.

Also, you might also google some of the difference in lakes sizes and re-evaluate your pond comment as well. While there is no arguing the sheer number of lakes in MN, not all of them are as huge as you make them out to be.

Your buddy google says these are the biggest lakes in MN in acreage;
Superior 962,700
Lake of the Woods 307,000
Rainy 220,800
Lower Red 180,999
Milli Lacs 132,516
Leech 111,527

By contrast, the largest reservoirs in CO in acreage:
Navajo 1,708,600
Blue Mesa 829,500
John Martin 603,500
Lake Grandby 539,758
McPhee 381,100
Pueblo 349,940

So it looks like when it comes to largeness, CO actually seems to have some pretty large ponds, seemingly larger than some of the top sized lakes in MN. If, during your 16 years here, you limited yourself to those smaller municipal reservoirs under 80,000 acres in the immediate vicinity of the Front Range, that's no ones fault but your own.

But, I would agree CO is not a haven recognized for its warm water sports and for many, owning a boat is an exercise in expense for a recreational device will never fully utilize.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:30 PM

3,389 posts, read 4,772,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Your average water bill was $140/mo? The only time out water bill (for a family of 5) ever comes close to that is May-September when the sprinklers are on. The rest of the year it's around $70/mo for water and sewer.

FWIW, there's no amount of cost savings in the world that would ever convince me to live in a flat, humid s**thole like Florida.
Uh oh! Shots fired!😮
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado