Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM

8,590 posts, read 14,744,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
There are actually very few colleges in the mountains themselves, but you can be in the mountains if you go to Western State College (Gunnison), or Ft. Lewis College (Durango).

Adams State gettin' no respect, I tell ya! Sangres to the east, San Juans to the west. No, Alamosa isn't in the mountains but then again, neither is Durango.

FWIW, I went to CSU and Fort Collins is close enough to the mountains, but the Poudre and Big Thompson canyons are packed with people from spring through fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 12:36 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,957,630 times
Wink School in the mountains

If the mountains, one might as well consider Colorado Mountain College.

They have campuses in the following towns (some distinctly in the mountains):
• Aspen
• Breckenridge & Dillon
• Buena Vista
• Carbondale
• Edwards
• Glenwood Springs
• Leadville
• Rifle
• Spring Valley
• Steamboat Springs
Their website: Colorado Mountain College - Campuses in 11 Mountain Towns

Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,349,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post

• Aspen
• Breckenridge & Dillon
• Buena Vista
• Carbondale
• Edwards
• Glenwood Springs
• Leadville
• Rifle
• Spring Valley
• Steamboat Springs
Great list!
I can't speak for the institution or an individual campus, but if I were choosing form that list, just based on lifestyle, my top choices would be:

5. Edwards
4. Leadville
3. Breck & Dillon
2. Carbondale
1. Buena Vista

Your cost of living will always be lower if you're not IN a ski town like Aspen, Breck or Steamboat. Leadville is one of my favorite high country towns but it's historically a mining town, is 2 miles in elevation and takes a special kind of person to live there year round. Buena Vista probably has the best mix of Cost of Living, weather, Outdoor Rec. opportunity and vicinity to front range cities (e.g. major airports).

Old 08-18-2013, 07:32 PM

166 posts, read 319,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post

• Aspen
• Breckenridge & Dillon
• Buena Vista
• Carbondale
• Edwards
• Glenwood Springs
• Leadville
• Rifle
• Spring Valley
• Steamboat Springs

I was thinking the same. Recently read an article that it was one of the cheapest colleges in the country.

It will ultimately be is going to be less expensive to live in Breckenridge than it is living in Gatlinburg Tn. Go figure.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
otterprods wrote: Buena Vista probably has the best mix of Cost of Living, weather, Outdoor Rec. opportunity and vicinity to front range cities (e.g. major airports).

Agreed! If no college is needed, about 30 minutes south of BV is the wonderful little town of Salida, which I like even better than BV.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Agreed! If no college is needed, about 30 minutes south of BV is the wonderful little town of Salida, which I like even better than BV.
Me too. Every time I go through there, I ask myself, why don't I live here instead?

Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Hmm, it seems no one is telling the OP the hard truth that out-of-state tuition costs in Colorado are skyrocketing and that Colorado's dismal fiscal situation is diminishing the quality of education available at many Colorado higher education institutions. I got a great education at a Colorado college many years ago--when tuition was very affordable (especially for in-state students) and education quality was good, even at the small state colleges. Most all of that has changed--markedly for the worse.

My recommendation: get a good education at an affordable in-state college or university where you live (and Michigan has several fine schools) and then worry about living in your "dream place." It will pay off much better in the future than paying high tuition to attend what may be a mediocre institution and then competing in Colorado with graduates with better education from non-Colorado universities for the relatively few decent jobs available compared to hordes that want them.

The Colorado schools that I consider the exception to the "mediocre" standard: Denver University (private and very expensive) and Colorado School of Mines (scholastically one of the most difficult universities in the US from which to successfully graduate--students there have little time for ANYTHING but studying if they want to actually graduate).

Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I got a great education at a Colorado college many years ago--when tuition was very affordable...
Everything was affordable in 1934. But of course, you only made about 50 cents an hour, if you had any work at all...

Old 08-22-2013, 02:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Everything was affordable in 1934. But of course, you only made about 50 cents an hour, if you had any work at all...
Well, yes, college was affordable when I attended (much later than 1934). I graduated with a good education, no student debt, and relied very little on my parents for any of my educational expenses. Those "good old days" are, indeed, gone--and most likely gone for good. That makes it about 10 times more important for today's college students to get the biggest bang for their buck in education, get serious about getting a degree that will allow them to make a living (and pay off their student debt), and get serious about being prepared to work--and work hard--to make a living once they graduate. They no longer have the luxury of a "party-on" attitude like many of their parents were able to get away with doing. Those "youngin's" are going to have to work longer, harder, and smarter than their parents to even have a chance at the life most of their parents have enjoyed--and, even with all of that, many of them won't achieve it. Hard facts, hard truths that these younger generations are just going to have to accept. That die has been already cast for them.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:59 PM

I can't tell the future but I can say that if a young person has reasonable expectations, adequate training, and is willing to work hard from the bottom up, then their chances of succeeding are good. Beyond that, other people's opinions should have little bearing on one's choice of schools, majors, and careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado