Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:17 PM

15 posts, read 122,438 times

Advertisements

My husband and i decided that since we have to move anyway (the house we rent was sold) and NJ where we are now is SO expensive that we can't actually enjoy our lives that we should move out of state. For a few days we tossed different states back and forth and voila we landed on colorado! I am so excited about it because the more books i read and internet searches i do the more i see us living our lives there! But... how ever do i begin to know what towns are nice? How to find jobs? apartments? etc. Obviously we will be making a trip out there in the near future to look around but looking at someplace for a few days doesn't compare to living experience in a place. SO i ask this?....

a mechanic and a girl that loves nature want to move to the mountains where do we begin?

ANY and ALL advise is welcomed... Thank you (in advance)

We have PETS! we love pet- friendly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 PM

26 posts, read 208,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquiz View Post
My husband and i decided that since we have to move anyway (the house we rent was sold) and NJ where we are now is SO expensive that we can't actually enjoy our lives that we should move out of state. For a few days we tossed different states back and forth and voila we landed on colorado! I am so excited about it because the more books i read and internet searches i do the more i see us living our lives there! But... how ever do i begin to know what towns are nice? How to find jobs? apartments? etc. Obviously we will be making a trip out there in the near future to look around but looking at someplace for a few days doesn't compare to living experience in a place. SO i ask this?....

a mechanic and a girl that loves nature want to move to the mountains where do we begin?

ANY and ALL advise is welcomed... Thank you (in advance)

We have PETS! we love pet- friendly
Hey Jacquiz, I'm also from NJ and looking to move out to Colorado. What part of NJ are you from? I am by the Newark NJ area and I agree 1000000000% that NJ is way to expensive to live in. Not to mention, crime, drugs, traffic (1hr and 15mins to get to work and its only 8miles away), pollution, etc. Well good luck with everything and I hope all works out well!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:02 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,970,044 times
Wink Never know unless you look

Presumably you are fairly well versed in the practicalities of life, locating housing, jobs, etc. Despite regional differences in style, your experience with this in Colorado probably not much different than New Jersey. In other words, all your problems will not automatically vanish on crossing the state line.

That said, you surely can reasonably expect a lower cost of living. Not necessarily within some resort town such as Vail, but in general certainly possible. Moreover the climate certainly different. For someone who loves nature a virtual cornucopia within Colorado of mountains and wilderness areas.

Of course should you move to eastern Colorado you might wonder about some of that. So location does count. Basically you have two choices: rural or urban, with a lot of flavors in-between. Even a totally urban place such as Denver and environs enjoy fairly easy access to the mountains. But it is nevertheless on the western edge of the eastern plains, and not in the mountains. So a question of whether you wish to visit the mountains on occasion or simply must be able to walk out your font door and be in them? You can structure it either way.

Very generally speaking Colorado might be divided into the fairly flat eastern plains of ranching and agriculture, the central mountains of wilderness and small, often tourist, towns, and the drier and slower paced western slope. But of course lots of nuances; just along the Front Range, where the mountains suddenly meet the plains, from north to south towns such as Ft. Collins quite dissimilar to others such as Pueblo.

Simply in ease of moving you'll probably find a community along the front range most suitable, as they offer the greatest selection of housing, jobs, shopping, etc. But if your preference something other, you certainly can.

Your notion of exploration is well advised. Come this time of year it might prove a little problematical given the weather. Some of the mountain passes you might be crossing are well in excess of 10,000 feet. But actually some of the worst winter weather in blizzards and what not is out on the eastern plains. But with a modicum of wisdom and flexibility none of this a great impediment. For one thing, you might choose to settle one place good enough and wait for another time to search for the one place you'll love the most.

It probably will take a good deal of exploring. Almost certainly unless you are quite lucky and adept at easily landing on just the right spot. In no more than playing tourist and enjoying yourself, you would be well advised to take the time and drive all over this state.

You might be happily surprised at what you find.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:00 PM

11,550 posts, read 53,004,833 times
If you don't mind the risk of a very huge culture shock ... and the liklihood of scraping along a bit to get by and established with housing ...

there's a lot of jobs available for a mechanic in the mountain communities, and many intro level service jobs still hiring right now for the winter season.

You can virtually take your pick of any of the major mountain destination resort areas at this time.

In the right perspective, it could be a "grand adventure" leading to more permanent job for you, and many different opportunities for your husband with his skills. The first winter out here will be your most difficult, to find the opportunities for housing that are affordable with your jobs.

The way to find jobs and housing is to be here and apply to the potential employers, and to check with the local rental management companies if you're in the resort areas.

If you are looking to come to the energy boom/extractive industry areas, then the same situation applies ... come on out, apply for jobs, check out the local housing marketplace.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:01 AM

out of breckenridge silverton manitou springs and telluride any favorites?

Old 11-17-2007, 07:22 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
Manitou Springs is close to Colorado Springs; there might be more job possibilities there. Breckenridge is one of the larger ski towns, ditto.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:47 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,405,204 times
Quote:
Silverton: Few year-round jobs. Real estate has become hideously overpriced in the last 5 years. Both roads into town subject to bad weather and snowslides in the winter. One of the most beautiful places around, but a VERY difficult place to live.

Telluride: A beautiful setting. That's all I can say in favor of it. Astronomically high real estate prices. Full of "the beautiful people"--all from someplace else. My ex-inlaws grew up there. They don't even like to go back to visit much anymore.

Breckenridge: I'm not enamored with it, either. The landscape around it is mostly "doghair" lodgepole forest--the kind susceptible to pine beetle and subsequent fires.

I guess my choice of those listed would be Manitou. Kind of a funky place, but close to the Springs (like 5 miles) where there might actually be some decent jobs.

Truth is, if you have your heart set on Colorado, and don't just want to scrape by (or worse--slowly go broke), you will probably wind up doing what most Coloradans do: living in one of the bigger towns near the mountains and going to them on weekends, etc.

Check out my other posts on the difficulty of making a living in rural Colorado. I'm getting tired of typing it over and over, and regular readers of this forum are getting tired of reading it.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:01 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,970,044 times
Wink Who will you be?

Quote:

I like them all, for different reasons. For one thing, they are in the mountains, although some far more so. Each is distinctly different.

Breckenridge and Telluride possibly most similar in being expensive resort towns, especially come ski season. If you like this, great skiing in either location. More possibilities in Breckenridge however as other major ski areas but a short distance away.

Telluride is far more isolated. In options for skiing and all other respects. Like Breckenridge and Silverton it began life as a mining town, much of this history evident in the many brick Victorian buildings. A striking setting in a remote and beautiful part of the state. Most anything a tourist could want in town, but a long drive to any serious shopping. An island of sorts in many senses, one you may appreciate best if your politics tending liberal. Also, very expensive.

Breckenridge is also very expensive. It enjoys a beautiful setting but higher in elevation than Telluride and not situated in a canyon. Many Victorian buildings as well, very much a tourist town, but from that aspect quite beautiful. Not nearly as remote as Telluride because it has relatively easy access to I-70, and not much over an hour distant Denver in optimum driving conditions. Thus far more choices in most everything, throughout Summit County. Many people that work in Summit County live farther removed in towns such as Alma, Fairplay and Leadville.

Manitou Springs is a kind of weird and lovely place. Different in part from all the others because it is situated just within the mountains and very close to Colorado Springs. As the name implies there are a variety of natural hot springs there, appreciated by the Indians, and probably why the town is there. While many tourists may spend only a few hours there now, at its inception it was more of a destination resort. Very hilly, lots of squiggly streets and small houses, and a certain bohemian charm. Possibly the least expensive of the four, but not cheap. Consider also the word Manitou.

Silverton has only recently become expensive, and this probably due the new ski area just outside of town. By Summit County standards this ski area might always remain small, drawing a select extreme skiing clientele. But one can probably expect continued growth, and even if moderately expensive now, you would probably see appreciation in any real estate purchased. Located on the one small and fairly flat spot of land in San Juan County, and county seat as well, it is surrounded by high mountains peaks on four sides. After the mining played out, primarily a small summer tourist town best known for the narrow gauge steam train from Durango. Victorian buildings as well, mostly run down, but now beginning to change with the influx of more money. A very remote place, if you like that, with long drives over high mountain passes to either Durango or Ouray.

Simply in ease Manitou Springs the best choice, even if you only visited; Colorado Springs offers a lot of resources in jobs, housing, etc. But the nature and political climate of the two, even if in close proximity, are quite different.

Employment is also easy to come by in Summit County. Perhaps the easiest. The downside comes in housing, and this a big problem for anyone without serious money.

But why worry about that?

Fact is you'd be better of in Kansas or somewhere if cost of living your primary concern. In no more than choosing Colorado you are already setting certain priorities. So why not go for it all?

You can live anywhere, even Aspen, if you are determined enough. The question is what suites you best and what you are willing to do to effect it? You could probably live in or very near any of these places (although with Silverton you are basically there, in town) on a mechanic's salary, but of course making some significant sacrifices in many other areas of your life.

So perhaps a better question, how adaptable are you?

Many employees struggle, but some branch off into their own businesses and these often the people that can live comfortably in such places. Some people choose real estate, but it's not a business for everyone. Bottom line: you can struggle forever most anywhere, or choose to find a way not to.

As for geography and location, it does make a difference. The place you like the best and love will mitigate much of the sacrifice to be there, and help give you the strength in the many challenges in changing who and what you are.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:58 AM

does an one know how the motor vehicle fees work? registration?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:59 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
Quote:
does an one know how the motor vehicle fees work? registration?
What happened when you checked the Colorado state web pages?

Colorado Vehicle Registration & Titling - CO Car Registration Guide - DMV.ORG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado