U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:54 AM

29 posts, read 50,037 times

Advertisements

We're considering CO or NH for our move after my husband retires from the military. We're looking for somewhere with a local/sustainable movement, maybe a bit artsy, with lots of family things to do. We need someplace that is not total hippieville, as my husband would hate it. We'd like to have a *small* piece of land with neighbors relatively close by, and lower-middle class to middle-class mortgage. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:28 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,599,197 times
Most times the term "" artsy "" and affordability do not go together.

With that being said may I suggest locations northeast of the Denver metro area.
Having grown up from age twelve in Sterling Co I know the northeastern Colorado very well as well as spending 22 years in the Denver area.

Places to consider are Fort Lupton and Plattville to the north of the metro area.
Towns to the northeast of Denver metro would include Lochbuie, Hudson, keensburg, Wiggins, Fort Morgan and finally Sterling.

The northeastern towns I have just mentioned can be found in order as you follow a road map up I-76 to the last town I mentioned and the one I grew up in Sterling which is 125 miles northeast of Denver.

Home prices the nearer you are to the front range will increase rapidly and also decrease the further out on I-76 you go.
I mentioned the Northeastern corridor because you mentioned lower middle to middle class in mortgage cost and out of anyplace in Colorado you will find it in that area of the state.
Most any location up and down the front range to the exception of perhaps the Pueblo area are notably more expensive than the eastern plains.

Speaking of Pueblo, you should perhaps look at that city as a possible candidate.

Real estate costs in Colorado despite location are notably more expensive than the mid west and most likely will be on par with New Hampshire.

I hope this helps you.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:51 AM

606 posts, read 735,088 times
Salida would probably fit your requirements. Great artsy town, a lot to do recreationally, family friendly. Has a hippie/artsy vibe without being the "People's Republic of Boulder" . Gorgeous location. Price wise it depends on how much square footage you need in the house, however if you are outside of town you can get a bit more bang for your buck (relatively speaking). You will pay a premium for any of the mountain towns versus larger front range cities such as Pueblo and Colorado Springs.

Also you need to consider if you will need jobs other than your husband's military retirement. If that is the case you will probably need to stick with the cities along the front range.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:04 PM

20,858 posts, read 39,100,793 times
Along the lines of Salida there's also Buena Vista. Lots of pix and data on all these towns are found here.

Both give him decent access within two hours of Colorado Springs and the commissaries and PXes here. If he needs to work he won't find much in these two towns and may need to be within the commuting orbit of Colo Spgs.

Mildly artsy and middle class-ish actually describes the west side of COLO SPGS known as Old Colorado City (OCC) but the acreage won't be there.

Use ppar.com to see homes and prices in this area, and rentals too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 PM

13,973 posts, read 20,244,681 times
Look at Kentucky or Tennesse

Old 08-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 28 days ago)

10,892 posts, read 29,346,101 times
Louisville, Longmont, Monument, Morrison, Erie...

Old 08-16-2013, 12:43 PM

4,703 posts, read 4,343,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AileenM View Post
We're considering CO or NH for our move after my husband retires from the military. We're looking for somewhere with a local/sustainable movement, maybe a bit artsy, with lots of family things to do. We need someplace that is not total hippieville, as my husband would hate it. We'd like to have a *small* piece of land with neighbors relatively close by, and lower-middle class to middle-class mortgage. Any suggestions?
Man, when it comes to Colorado, your requirements are awfully picky. 1)Not total hippieville 2)yet artsy 3)with local/sustainable movement 4)at prices in the lower-middle class income range, etc.

First of all, tell us what dollar amount you define to be low-middle. I might consider that number to be $40,000/yr when you're thinking $100,000.

Boulder fails on 1 and 4, but has 2 and 3.

Colorado Springs might meet 1 and 4. It wasn't big on sustainability the last time I had much to do with it, but I suspect there's more going on there in that area these days. And it DOES have community gardens and stuff.

I'd have said Manitou Springs, but your husband probably wouldn't care for it.

I disagree about Pueblo. That city doesn't seem to be what you want going by your criteria.

You can forget about the entire Western Slope just because of "artsy with lower middle income prices." Those two NEVER occur together out here.

All in all, I have to agree with the Kentucky suggestion. Berea, Kentucky would meet every single thing you named. Why not check out the Kentucky forum?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:29 PM

12,175 posts, read 20,977,124 times
Pueblo is affordable and has a large retirement community and it has a growing art community as well. I am not sure if Pueblo is what you are looking for but its a town you should at least look into.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:18 PM

29 posts, read 50,037 times
Thanks. We've lived in the middle of the country and are not fans of those areas. Pricing wise we should be able to afford 200-300k. I have heard a few things about Ft. Collins, but don't know if I'm reaching there.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,752,228 times
Take a hard look at NH. Just be aware that the winters are not nearly as mild as Colorado's. We looked HARD at both CO and NH when we were living in FL, and I choose CO. Sometimes I wish we would've tried NH. I miss rain, and stuff growing. I miss fall colors. I miss my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado