U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:03 PM

13 posts, read 25,577 times

Advertisements

I've been following the NWS Boulder/Denver Facebook page (along with other weather sites) to help get a better feel for the general climate and it seems that there are thunderstorms most afternoons in that general area. Does that seem right to those that live there? I don't want to turn this into a debate PLEASE. Just curious. Also any links to weather or climate sites would be great. I guess just PM them to me because I don't think you can post things like in threads on this forum.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 12:26 PM

2,591 posts, read 5,986,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryn View Post
I've been following the NWS Boulder/Denver Facebook page (along with other weather sites) to help get a better feel for the general climate and it seems that there are thunderstorms most afternoons in that general area. Does that seem right to those that live there?. . .
Many years yes, some years no. We usually hope that's the pattern, as that's when we get our needed moisture.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:45 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
Colorado has so many micro climates it's hard to say what area gets what weather on any given day. In general we are very grateful for the moisture, sometimes it can be too much at one time.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
The southwestern USA "usually" has a summer rainy season known as "monsoon season" which brings frequent thunderstorms that bubble up by the afternoon and may last until dark or later. Often accompanied by thousands of lightning strikes per stormy day. Sometimes happens for many days in a row, sometimes takes a week or more off. Some years it's very heavy, some years it's very light.

On the I-25 corridor, aka the Front Range, these storms can come off the mountains and head east across the prairies into KS. They are a sight to behold, can have damaging hail, dangerous lightning, and once in a great while spawn a tornado. Note that only about 4 people have been killed by tornados in COLO in the past 60 years, with that many usually killed each year by lightning, plus several deaths yearly due to snow avalanches in the mountains during ski season.

There is NO reason to avoid this state due to weather unless you absolutely cannot stand winter or dry air.

You are in much more danger from Hurricanes back east or tornados in the midwest (TX, OK, KS, NE, MO, AR, TN, KY, IL, aka tornado alley.

Worst thing we have here is the hail, so they call this area hail alley.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:16 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,354,896 times
It's fairly common for it to cloud up on summer afternoons, but the rain can be sporadic. Personally, I've gotten somewhat burned out on thunderstorms. They frequently come with intense winds, hail, and lightning. And I'd prefer more truly clear days in the summer (which we would need to live up to that legendary "300 days of sunshine" per year). But summer rainfall is an important component in our weather even if it is doesn't usually add up to the levels you get from more typical monsoonal regimes.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:19 PM

13 posts, read 25,577 times
Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

Mikefrombackeast- I grew up in Va Beach and the Outer Banks, NC and have lived in west Michigan for the last 10 years. I'm looking for a climate that is more sunny, winter here is an absolute nightmare, clouds that are so low you feel like you can reach up and touch them and often 7-10 days without a single break in the clouds. Oppressive. Snow and cold don't bother me and even though CO seems to have higher temps (front range area) in the summer, the lack of humidity seems like a fair trade off, though it seems like you guys do get streaks of high humid days. I was surprised by what seems like thunderstorms most afternoons.

I do realize there are microclimates that will small areas locally.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:24 PM

15,127 posts, read 11,998,568 times
My two dead trees sure wished it rained every afternoon for
the last, what, 6 years?

Old 08-17-2013, 01:44 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Keyrn: I spent 57 years in the area of Baltimore and Northern Virginia and had many trips to Fort Eustis in Newport News. Like you, I know what humidity is like and we don't have anything like that here. Winter's are bright and sunny save for a few quick moving snow storms. I

t's generally sunny here year round and we claim 300 sunny days per years. Even in summer most days start out cloud free and if the thunderstorms come in the PM they do their thing and move on as the sun comes back out. It's very rare to have a day here where you only see a gray sky, very rare. We do NOT have cold gray winters, many times people will wear shorts on sunny winter days.

Up in the mountains, aka the high country, it snows a lot, but not that much here on the Front Range and it usually melts out in a day. Millions live here, so how bad can it be. No one leaves here to go to the upper midwest so they can have long gray bone chilling winters. The low humidity makes it quite comfortable all year, without the insane summer heat of AZ, NV, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:11 AM

86,878 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryn View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

Mikefrombackeast- I grew up in Va Beach and the Outer Banks, NC and have lived in west Michigan for the last 10 years. I'm looking for a climate that is more sunny, winter here is an absolute nightmare, clouds that are so low you feel like you can reach up and touch them and often 7-10 days without a single break in the clouds. Oppressive. Snow and cold don't bother me and even though CO seems to have higher temps (front range area) in the summer, the lack of humidity seems like a fair trade off, though it seems like you guys do get streaks of high humid days. I was surprised by what seems like thunderstorms most afternoons.

I do realize there are microclimates that will small areas locally.
Streaks of high humid days is an exaggeration. It's not real humid here, even on a rainy day.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 AM

14,490 posts, read 22,337,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My two dead trees sure wished it rained every afternoon for
the last, what, 6 years?
Since you call them your trees I'll assume you planted them. Are you saying they died from lack of water and if the former is true, was that preventable?

Another possibility, you moved into a house where the former owner let the trees die by lack of watering, disease etc. If this is the case I recommend you replace them with something that is indigenous to your area, pay the extra bucks for a trunk that's 2" minimum... depending on the type of tree I guess... and pay extra to let the folks who deliver it plant it. Make sure they or you mix some soil good for trees in with the original stuff and that the height of the root ball is just right with relation to your grade. Water it good like they suggest for at least to winter and don't forget to water when you can throughout winter.

I've got several coniferous trees that I've planted and a few non-coniferous ones that are hanging in there in the very rough environment of Pueblo West. I haven't watered my trees much the last couple years as I'm trying to encourage their root systems to grow properly. But start as big as you can in Colorado imo.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-18-2013 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or