U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:10 AM

60 posts, read 447,004 times

Advertisements

I currently own a 1999 Mitsubishi Montero 2WD that is costing me an arm and leg to maintain. It does horribly in snow/ice/rain and I had 2 questions. What would be a reliable and inexpensive option? Someone recommended the AWD Subaru Legacy/Outback. Are there any other vehicles anyone could recommend? Also, how much would the registration cost on say a vehicle valued at 12K? I heard that Colorado has an expensive registration fee upfront for new arrivals. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 11:45 AM

676 posts, read 2,544,371 times
I heard that honda's crv or whatever did really well also

Old 11-13-2007, 12:05 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,877,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis2005 View Post
I currently own a 1999 Mitsubishi Montero 2WD that is costing me an arm and leg to maintain. It does horribly in snow/ice/rain and I had 2 questions. What would be a reliable and inexpensive option? Someone recommended the AWD Subaru Legacy/Outback. Are there any other vehicles anyone could recommend? Also, how much would the registration cost on say a vehicle valued at 12K? I heard that Colorado has an expensive registration fee upfront for new arrivals. Thanks in advance!
Do you just want an economical vehicle that will do fairly well on snowpacked or icy roads? Just about any front-wheel-drive car equipped with snow tires and all-speed traction control will do fine under most conditions. Need something a little more sure-footed? Just about any of the Subaru AWD's do pretty well--same for the Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. Want a hybrid? AWD Ford Escape is good.

As to registration costs in Colorado, they are fairly high for a new vehicle, but the costs drop fairly quickly as the vehicle ages. Wyoming (which I also have registered vehicles in), as a comparison, generally costs less initially to register a vehicle, but the fees do not decrease as quickly over time and do not "bottom out" as low as Colorado's. Also, Colorado's combined state and local sales taxes can be substantial and must be paid before the vehicle can be registered. Call the county clerk's office where you live in Colorado and they can give you an estimate of the registration fees for the vehicle you are looking at buying.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Thanks jazzlover! Great info and I had not even considered the Ford. I am moving to Evergreen so I think I need something more sure-footed than just a front wheel drive vehicle. Let me ask you this - If you were using the 2WD vehicle for a trade in would you do it before moving to Colorado? The reason I ask is because my mechanic thinks that I would get a lot more for the trade in here (Dallas) than I would in Colorado. But then I have the situation of having to register it twice! Once here and then again when I arrive in Colorado - or do I have a whole year from the date I arrive to register it in Colorado?

Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,877,067 times
Quote:
Thanks jazzlover! Great info and I had not even considered the Ford. I am moving to Evergreen so I think I need something more sure-footed than just a front wheel drive vehicle. Let me ask you this - If you were using the 2WD vehicle for a trade in would you do it before moving to Colorado? The reason I ask is because my mechanic thinks that I would get a lot more for the trade in here (Dallas) than I would in Colorado. But then I have the situation of having to register it twice! Once here and then again when I arrive in Colorado - or do I have a whole year from the date I arrive to register it in Colorado?
If you trade in your vehicle in Colorado on the purchase of another vehicle in Colorado, the trade-in value will be deducted from the sales prices of your new vehicle for purposes of the sales tax calculation. If you sell your vehicle in Texas, then buy a vehicle in Colorado, you will pay sales tax on the entire purchase price of the vehicle. If you buy your new vehicle out-of-state, but DO NOT title it or register it there, you will have to pay sales tax in Colorado, when you register it in Colorado. You have 30 days from establishing Colorado residency to title and register your vehicles in the state. Colorado sales tax is nothing to sneeze at--anywhere from 3-8%+, depending on locale. (Most places seem to be around 6-7.5%.)

Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 AM

1,618 posts, read 5,967,725 times
Quote:

I used to own a montero sport. Those are one of the most expensive engines that you have to maintain. To get the spark-plugs out , you have to remove the manifold. Its pretty pricey also. I saw people getting charged over 500.00 just to replace spark plugs. To me, get rid of it.

If you like a good suv and can be easily worked on, check out the older Nissan Pathfinders.
I recently got one, ripped the motor out and replaced a lot of things on her. The engine has over 170K. None of the services was done. Yep, not even the timing belt. I researched and researched and found out that the WD21 pathfinders to be one of the easier to maintain vehicles that can be had for about $3000.00 purchased.

The older 4-Runners which I dig also are know to blow head-gaskets. Don't want to go there!
I totally dig Subaru, but if you just want something bigger and suv, I look at the Pathfinders.

Here is mine w/ the motor pulled out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/engineout.jpg (broken link)

Engine out:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/noengine.jpg (broken link)

Mine is a 4x4 / 1995 model. As you know, I am not in Colorado right now, but plan to be there very, very soon. IMHO 4x4 or AWD is the way to go, but if you do go w/ 2wd/ make sure you have nice set of rubbers.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 AM

1,618 posts, read 5,967,725 times
Quote:
Did not know you're from Dallas. I purchased my suv up that way in Ennis, TX. Craiglist search on pathfinders ect. I would recommend you sale and get your vehicle here then in Colorado.
I was going to mention FWD is a good option. So CRVs or Rav's would be a good thought, which was recommend above (I did not read everyone's post above).

Old 11-14-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Oh, yea - the lovely spark plugs!

Since buying this money pit back in 2002 I have had to replace the plugs and wires - $500, Shocks/repack all bearings - $590, timing belt - $480, both cam seals were faulty - $200, and a valve cover gasket replacement - $300!! Yes, I am taking everyone's advice and getting rid of it asap! You know - I do like the Pathfinders as they got very good reviews from the consumer report people. Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:45 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,248,648 times
You don't have to have a 4wd/AWD vehicle, one of my neighbors drives all year with FWD on regular all season tires, but it sure makes it much nicer. On those handful of days with lots of snow it makes it so much easier to get around. Add in some extra clearance with a truck/SUV and it gets even better. To top it off you don't have to have snow tires. A good set of all season tires with 4wd/AWD works great. Snow tires will be better but with 4wd/AWD I would rather save on having two sets of tires and all the hassle/expense that goes along with it.

I have a toyota RAV4. I sold a first generation saturn SW2 wagon (FWD) for it. With out snow tires and because it was so low to the ground it was completely useless in the big snows. Great car though, I put 180k miles on it and I never had any problems. Still ran like a top when I sold it.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:53 PM

20,923 posts, read 39,228,361 times
Quote:
....I do like the Pathfinders as they got very good reviews from the Consumer Reports....
I always check CR, and with "The Car Book" put out by the Center for Auto Safety (CAS). When the 2004 Toyota Camry got tops marks for so many reasons and added side curtain airbags to boot, that's when we bought one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or