U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM

4,700 posts, read 4,339,330 times

Advertisements

(a bit of comic relief )

Things must be getting pretty weird up there in Denver. I just got a letter from the CO Dept of Revenue dated Dec 31, 2011 with a blank form enclosed and the instructions to make a copy of the form and send it back. Doesn’t the department of revenue have a photocopier so they can make their own copies of forms? I can send them my old printer if they’re that hard up. It even still works. Here’s a copy of my reply:

Dear Dept of Revenue,

I don’t have the faintest idea what you want. You RECENTLY received a return for an account, dated Dec 31, 2011? Look, Cortez is all the way on the other side of the state, but we’re not located on Mars. Whatever.

You sent me a form letter about “amounts listed below” and did I earn them and I’m supposed to protest something. There’s nothing listed below on that form. What? You guys are writing Colorado residents letters written in lemon juice these days? Am I supposed to hold it up to a light bulb and read it? And whatever it is I’m supposed to protest, you bet I protest it. Make sure you note it in my file. I protest everything; you guys should have figured that out by now. So here’s my letter included with a copy of the blank form as per your instructions. I imagine you’ll get my reply around December of 2015 since the mail down here is so slow.

Now that I’ve been a good little citizen and complied with your request, can I have a cookie?

(I knew no good would come from that legal marijuana law getting passed)

Sincerely,

Colorado Rambler, baffled Colorado resident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,024,811 times
Wink Cookies

Better if they were stoned.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 AM

^^^

Hah! The CO Dept of Rev has sent me several strange things like that lately. I'd like to know what they're up to. Or maybe I DON'T want to know. Maybe they're getting ready to send me a letter claiming I owe a zillion dollars in State back taxes. If so, it will probably arrive Dec 31, 2020 or something. I hope them and whatever Federal agency that is going through my mail at the moment enjoy my reply.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,821,643 times
Yes, they are nuts. They keep sending letters to my daughter about $10 due, which was actually an out of state tax credit. Documentation was included with the original filing, then sent on 3 subsequent occasions in response to their cryptic letters. I love the way their letters are not signed by an individual, so nobody takes responsibility for their own illiteracy at the Bureau.

They keep complaining they are understaffed. If they didn't waste time on nonsense like this, they'd have time for what they really need to do.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,428,269 times
We got a letter like this from the state of CA back in 2006. The letter said something along the lines of we see you lived in CA (gave the address we had) from such and such time and you may owe taxes on the sale of your home if one took place. I kindly wrote them a letter back stating that we lived in a rented apartment for 3 months while my husband was doing a travel nurse assignment and we maintained a residence in CO during that time. We do not owe them any taxes. We paid our state taxes on income and that's all they were getting.

My guess is that CO is trying to find a way to collect taxes in any way they can. Funny how it's blank though. Doh!

Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
We got a letter like this from the state of CA back in 2006. The letter said something along the lines of we see you lived in CA (gave the address we had) from such and such time and you may owe taxes on the sale of your home if one took place. I kindly wrote them a letter back stating that we lived in a rented apartment for 3 months while my husband was doing a travel nurse assignment and we maintained a residence in CO during that time. We do not owe them any taxes. We paid our state taxes on income and that's all they were getting.

My guess is that CO is trying to find a way to collect taxes in any way they can. Funny how it's blank though. Doh!
I have heard some expatriates getting dinged by California because they had a storage unit and that implied that someday they intended to move back to CA and hence owed all these taxes.

Taxes are necessary to pay for all these "free" programs trumpeted by some on this forum and this is what you get with a bureaucracy out of control and so many taxes and regulations it's impossible for the government itself to know which hand to talk to.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 PM

Yeah man, I'm getting fed up with social parasites like children getting free first grade classes. Those little frackers need to shape up and pay tuition like everybody else. Otherwise I'm going to send them a blank form to color on and see how THEY like it!

Yeaah... *shuffles off to pull the wings off a few flies*

Old 08-20-2013, 05:00 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,846,559 times
@Rambler...after reading your post #1, I'm laughing so hard the tears are rollin down my cheeks. Great letter. We should ALL respond in a similar manner and give em some of their own medicine.

And you are so right about those freeloadin first graders. Make em all get jobs and pay their own way to make Wanneroo happy.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
@Rambler...after reading your post #1, I'm laughing so hard the tears are rollin down my cheeks. Great letter. We should ALL respond in a similar manner and give em some of their own medicine.

And you are so right about those freeloadin first graders. Make em all get jobs and pay their own way to make Wanneroo happy.
They'll have to. The country is broke, it's debt exceeds it's income, it runs deficits every single year and has tens of trillions of dollars in unfunded payments in the years to come.

I have yet for anyone to explain where all that money will come from to pay for it.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 PM

13,963 posts, read 20,232,249 times
Default So???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The country is broke, it's debt exceeds it's income
How many people in the world have debts that exceed their annual income?
1G? 2G?
Your debt (if you have a mortgage) exceeds your annual income.
You are dazed and confused if you are focusing on debt/income ratio being >1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or