U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times

Advertisements

I agree with otterprods about Crested Butte being a good bet, for the reasons he mentioned.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Vail is where the tip income is. Aspen in 2nd place.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 PM

82 posts, read 132,550 times
Davebarnes short response DID sum it up well but few have mentioned how different each ski town is or how to have a back-up plan should things not work out and no one mentioned Summit County which has the most ski industry jobs as well as the most skiing yet is the least isolated. Try Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin and Keystone but still a short shot to Loveland, Vail and Beaver Creek. The good and the bad news is it's the closest ski county to Denver.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,423,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookaspirit View Post
Davebarnes short response DID sum it up well but few have mentioned how different each ski town is or how to have a back-up plan should things not work out and no one mentioned Summit County which has the most ski industry jobs as well as the most skiing yet is the least isolated. Try Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin and Keystone but still a short shot to Loveland, Vail and Beaver Creek. The good and the bad news is it's the closest ski county to Denver.
I actually mentioned Summit County in my response, including Breck.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,186,249 times
Before you move to a ski town I would learn to ski.
Noticed OP did not mention "skiing", not sure if it is part of her idea of living in a ski town?

If you don't ski, just stay in LV for wait jobs, cheap housing and warm weather.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:41 AM

3,181 posts, read 7,025,414 times
I've lived in ski towns for over 16 years and don't ski. There are lots of other reasons to be here other than skiing.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,519,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Vail is where the tip income is. Aspen in 2nd place.
...Because all rich people are big tippers? You've never waited on the wealthy, have you?

The most important thing is to find an established, popular restaurant. If your tables (or bar-seats) are full, the food/drinks are good and you serve the people well, you will make money.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
...Because all rich people are big tippers? You've never waited on the wealthy, have you?

The most important thing is to find an established, popular restaurant. If your tables (or bar-seats) are full, the food/drinks are good and you serve the people well, you will make money.
I did very well over 7 years in Vail and Aspen thank you very much.

I found in Vail with most of the wealthy that travel there being business oriented, self starter type people, they put their money where their mouth was and if you provided good service they tipped very well.

Aspen was more hit and miss. You either had limo liberals that talked the big talk about the little guy and then tipped sparingly or the big splashy hollywood type, sports star or other trendy person that would make a big production about peeling a hundred dollar bill off a roll of bills.

Summit County I found the earning potential was less and talking to those that worked over there full time that was the case.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I've lived in ski towns for over 16 years and don't ski. There are lots of other reasons to be here other than skiing.
I don't ski and never did over 8 ski seasons. I had planned to originally but when I got a taste for it, I realized man has to know his limitations and putting 2 sticks on my feet and going for a 3000 ft vertical drop wasn't what God put me on the earth for.

I don't think it is essential to ski. Obviously for some it can be a sport they like or a social thing, but there are plenty of other things to do.

Besides which winter is when you earn your money so you've got to make hay while the sun shines. Winter for me was making my money and summer was when the days where longer, temps were warmer and there was plenty to do.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:03 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,519,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I did very well over 7 years in Vail and Aspen thank you very much. I found in Vail with most of the wealthy that travel there being business oriented, self starter type people, they put their money where their mouth was and if you provided good service they tipped very well. Aspen was more hit and miss. You either had limo liberals that talked the big talk about the little guy and then tipped sparingly or the big splashy hollywood type, sports star or other trendy person that would make a big production about peeling a hundred dollar bill off a roll of bills.
Don't you think it had more to do with the type of places you worked in and the way you served them than the particular town you worked in? If you're at a Qdoba in Vail you'll do a lot worse than at the Maxwell's Steakhouse in Crested Butte. But I'll admit that Vail and Aspen probably have a lot more 4-5 star places to choose from.

My point to the OP is: High-end ski towns might offer more tip-earning potential, but they'll definitely cos t more to live in. I'd suggest a town like Crested Butte, Salida, or Pagosa Springs which are all close but not at the base of great ski hills. They each have some great restaurants and what you may lack in tip income will be more than made up for by affordable living options and a less hectic lifestyle overall. Of course, if you fancy yourself to be some kind of high end professional who specializes in serving the lifestyles of the rich and famous then choose Vail, or better yet, Aspen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado