U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 AM

34 posts, read 94,986 times

Advertisements

Good day all. Me and my little family (wife, 16month old and I) have a trip coming up soon to Cortez. We will arrive on a Saturday afternoon and depart Monday afternoon. On Sunday I have planned to go to Mesa Verde and do that. However for Saturday and Monday what would everyone suggest we go do or see? I can always go down to the four corners on Saturday before it closes but that is just a thought.

Please advise.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM

13,296 posts, read 25,477,748 times
There's a poster here who lives in Cortez, I think, I'm sure she'll have some ideas for you. Have a great trip!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
There's a poster here who lives in Cortez, I think, I'm sure she'll have some ideas for you. Have a great trip!
Thank you!

Old 08-20-2013, 01:14 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,337,002 times
When you first hit Cortez, it looks like some dumpy little town, but don't let that fool you. One block off Main there are preservation districts with broad streets and well kept houses. The neighborhoods are well kept and the folks are friendly. We have an extensive group of city parks and recreation areas - great to take children to play on a summer's day.

Downtown offers a number of good restaurants. You can get everything from old fashioned down home cooking to sushi. I recommend the Dry Dock restaurant and the Pacific Fish Company. But since you will be in ranch country, I'd say the Dry Dock is the better choice.

Allow for a full day to tour Mesa Verde. It's fascinating and the vistas are wonderful. Park Rangers can take you on tours of the ruins and explain the Anasazi people and culture.

It would be a shame for you to miss the spectacular San Juans. I'd take the second day and take Highway 145 to Dolores, stay on 145 through town and continue on 145 for about 15 miles until you reach the turn to the Forest Service road that follows Roaring Fork Creek. You'll see the sign on your right. There a little bridge across the Dolores immediently after you turn right onto the dirt road. In a hurry at the moment, but will post the FS Road number for you later.

This road has been recently graded and does not involve hair pin curves or extremely steep grades. You can drive up in a car rental. The road curves around to the top of a ridge and continues on through some of the most spectacular scenary you've ever seen. Bring your cameras and a pic-nic lunch and spend a summer day in ome of the most beautiful places in the world!

Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
When you first hit Cortez, it looks like some dumpy little town, but don't let that fool you. One block off Main there are preservation districts with broad streets and well kept houses. The neighborhoods are well kept and the folks are friendly. We have an extensive group of city parks and recreation areas - great to take children to play on a summer's day.

Downtown offers a number of good restaurants. You can get everything from old fashioned down home cooking to sushi. I recommend the Dry Dock restaurant and the Pacific Fish Company. But since you will be in ranch country, I'd say the Dry Dock is the better choice.

Allow for a full day to tour Mesa Verde. It's fascinating and the vistas are wonderful. Park Rangers can take you on tours of the ruins and explain the Anasazi people and culture.

It would be a shame for you to miss the spectacular San Juans. I'd take the second day and take Highway 145 to Dolores, stay on 145 through town and continue on 145 for about 15 miles until you reach the turn to the Forest Service road that follows Roaring Fork Creek. You'll see the sign on your right. There a little bridge across the Dolores immediently after you turn right onto the dirt road. In a hurry at the moment, but will post the FS Road number for you later.

This road has been recently graded and does not involve hair pin curves or extremely steep grades. You can drive up in a car rental. The road curves around to the top of a ridge and continues on through some of the most spectacular scenary you've ever seen. Bring your cameras and a pic-nic lunch and spend a summer day in ome of the most beautiful places in the world!
Thank you so very much for all of this info and for taking the time to help out. Can you take a look at the Google Maps link below and confirm this is the forest service road you are speaking of?

https://www.google.com/maps/preview?...!2m1!1e3&fid=7

Old 08-20-2013, 03:20 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,635,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
When you first hit Cortez, it looks like some dumpy little town, but don't let that fool you.
I LOVE Cortez! Were it not for my wife's insistence to live close to a hospital with a cardiac cath lab (for me), we'd be building a lot closer to it instead of on the Florida Mesa only a few miles from Mercy Hospital. While we were evaluating Timber Framers, we toured a house up on the edge of Dolores overlooking Cortez across the desert as well as Mesa Verde & Sleeping Ute Mountain. Also went to a frame raising in the same area a few weeks ago. The vistas are just amazing!

Our Timber Framer's shop is just off of CO184 halfway between Mancos & Dolores so we get up into that area every few weeks.

Last edited by DurangoJoe; 08-20-2013 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-23-2013, 03:07 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,337,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryjb View Post
Thank you so very much for all of this info and for taking the time to help out. Can you take a look at the Google Maps link below and confirm this is the forest service road you are speaking of?

https://www.google.com/maps/preview?...!2m1!1e3&fid=7
Didn't see your question until just now. No, you will want FS Rd 435. I don't know why google calls Highway 145 "Rail Road Ave" once you get out of Dolores. I just call it "145" and so does everyome else around here.

https://www.google.com/maps/empw?url...ed&hl=en&gl=us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado