U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 AM

147 posts, read 187,674 times

Advertisements

What finally did it for me was Climategate. Reading those emails, not just from the political hacks, but from scientific journal editors, scientists themselves, and others I thought were intellectually above politics. All admitting to suppressing data that doesn't support the anthropomorphic notion of warming. Then when they were caught, not spinning, but proudly stating they support the political intentions of the AGW crowd. "Boy who cried wolf" was too overwhelming. My mind just shut down to it.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 AM

9,967 posts, read 6,265,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
No, it's the cows. Didn't everyone read that article?
HowStuffWorks "Do cows pollute as much as cars?"

http://sairasays.files.wordpress.com...per_xvmr0.jpeg

Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,835,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
I studied a lot of science and math getting my B. Engineering Degree and can smell BS stats a mile off.

That video was pretty informative. Assuming his data is accurate, it shows, in no uncertain terms that our current climate is nothing out of the ordinary. Unless you cherry pick the sample window, it shows that the current trend is cooling.

Really this isn't rocket science. Make a graph, one axis is time, the other is temp. If you look at that (over a statistically significant time period[s]), it show our weather is businesses as usual (unless you hand pick the dates to support your agenda).

Please feel free to discredit his analysis or data, but attack the argument, not the man.

I like to keep an open mind about this topic, so if you have evidence that proves Mr Carter wrong I'd love to see it.

Lets be clear, science is not opinion. Science is not politics and we should be looking at the data, not opinions.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,423,223 times
Boulder is leading the way towards cleaner energy and cutting out the big power, maximum profit yielding power company! http://www.upworthy.com/a-bunch-of-y...-for-round?g=2

Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 AM

814 posts, read 933,751 times
I think people get too caught up in nomenclature and trying to predict specific outcomes. But some things, like the fact that there is more carbon dioxide in our atmosphere than at any other point in human history, are not really disputed, and these things are certainly cause for concern. I don't see how anyone can possibly believe human behavior is having zero effect on the planet's well-being.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 AM

22,734 posts, read 16,188,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewest View Post
What finally did it for me was Climategate. Reading those emails, not just from the political hacks, but from scientific journal editors, scientists themselves, and others I thought were intellectually above politics. All admitting to suppressing data that doesn't support the anthropomorphic notion of warming. Then when they were caught, not spinning, but proudly stating they support the political intentions of the AGW crowd. "Boy who cried wolf" was too overwhelming. My mind just shut down to it.
Granted there was very little coverage of the actual debunking, as is so often the case, but, debunked it was.

"Last week, five independent investigations cleared the scientists involved in the Climategate scandal from allegations that they had tampered with their research in order to prove global warming. "

Climategate Scandal - Debunked | Howard Kurtz | CNN - Video | Mediaite

A more pointed take:

"Given the media circus that was Climategate, Stewart was shocked to learn that a study done by a noted climate change skeptic AND funded by Tea Party oil tycoons the Koch brothers which intended to disprove global warming recently reaffirmed the science behind it. "

Jon Stewart Rips Media For Ignoring 'Climategate' Debunking, Covering McRib Instead (VIDEO)

Anyway, looks like today could be another record-breaker.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:55 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,333,575 times
Default Mountain "Voodoo"

Usually us back woods folks tend to be solitary types. You bet we'll help one another out in a second if one of us runs into trouble out in the middle of nowhere, but otherwise, we usually wander off singlely or in pairs. I've never stopped to have chats with strangers I may encounter in the San Juans on some dirt road. Casual wave from passing 4wd usually covers social interactions up there. Maybe a nod and a smile when well met on a hiking trail.

Not so, anymore. I've never met a more social bunch in my life then my current fellow mountain lovers in the San Juans. We stop one another these days and ask each other if we've noticed what's been happening to our beloved mountains. The other person will always respond in tones of grief, affirming my own observations. We look at each other with respect. We are not crazy. We are not the only ones who feel uneasy these days. Damn, damn, DAMN! I don't want such affirmations. I'd rather be crazy. Truely.

I was up in the San Juans today, and had yet another such an encounter. I'd pulled over to the side of a Forest Service road to enjoy the spectacular view when a vehicle driving the other way came around the steep curves and stopped next to me. The driver leaned out and asked if I needed help. Well, why should he think a woman leaning casually against her truck and staring off into the distant mountains would need help? I'd be jumping up and down and flagging him over if my truck had wonked out.

But we started talking...

Turns out the guy had lived in the San Juans most of his life but had finally left for a distant state to get a better job. He was home after a 3 year absence and had been spending the last week scoping out the possibilities for the elk bow hunting season. He finds them grim. He told me me that he figures temps in the San Juans are as much as 3 degrees C warmer than normal. I agreed. I was camped up at 10,000 ft a few weeks back and it had already gotten to 80-85 degrees by 7AM. Unheard of. No wonder the animals are fleeing for higher ground.

My new friend obviously knew his quarry well and was a very observant person. He said the elks' social instincts seemed all off key and they no longer respond to bugle calls. Instead, they lay down lethargically in the heat of the day and show no interest in their usual activities. Messed up behavior big time. I told him about missing the coyote's familiar songs when sitting by my campfire. Where have the coyotes gone? The guy nodded. He'd noticed about the coyotes as well.

I asked him why folks like us knew this stuff just instinctively? I can't fathom that others don't see and feel these things - this sense of something really bad being wrong. The elk hunter shrugged. "We're tuned in. They're not."

I guess.

Seems to me that being aware of your surroundings is a pretty important survival skill for any species, including Homo sapiens. Has a few thousand years of so-called civilization caused humankind to mostly lose this ability that even the smallest single-celled organism has? What? A few hundred thousand years of evolution and this is the result? How pathetic, folks.

If so, then I guess people like me and that eik hunter are sort of like advance scouts sent out by the rest of our species. We've been out on the edges of things and we SEE stuff that most apparently can't. I feel like I'm trying to describe music to someone who was born deaf and never heard a single sound.

All I can say is read the science, people. You don't need "mountain voodoo." The scientific proof is overwhelming. Go read it. This stuff MATTERS. Over and out.

Your faithful scout,
Colorado Rambler

Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 AM

147 posts, read 187,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
... All I can say is read the science, people. You don't need "mountain voodoo." The scientific proof is overwhelming. Go read it. This stuff MATTERS...
I am a scientist. The scientific proof of artificial warming is not overwhelming. I have read it. Only truth matters. Not those biased hyperlinks above (except for the cattle), not biased hyperlinks for the other side. Only the truth. And it is difficult to get to the truth when the integrity of people entrusted with uncovering the truth (through empirical discovery) is destroyed. They admit to biasing their research to arrive at pre-determined conclusions. The Climategate emails are not fakes. The authors have admitted to writing them. So there is nothing to "debunk". It has always been a very explicit intent to deceive.

Last edited by freewest; 09-08-2013 at 10:02 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Here we are again back to Global Cooling now, let the hysteria begin:

Global cooling: Arctic ice caps grows by 60% against global warming predictions | Mail Online

Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact......~Mark Twain~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado