U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 03:31 PM

11 posts, read 28,613 times

Advertisements

During the Black Forest fire, I was sitting at a traffic light and I witnessed a guy in a beat up Honda Accord flick his lit cigarette butt out the window. I was in my truck, behind a BMW, that was directly behind him. I rolled my window down to yell some choice profanity at the moron, but before I could speak, an extremely attractive woman got out of the beemer, walked up to his car, picked up the butt, that was still smoldering, and threw it back in the guys car! He opened his door and got out like he was going to do/say something, but when he saw how smokin' hot she was (Both aesthetically AND angrily) he just tucked his tail and sheepishly said "I'm sorry about that, I wasn't thinking." LMAO She muttered something back at him that I couldn't hear and they both got back in their cars. The light was green by now, and he was apparently still fishing for the lit butt that was most likely burning a nice "memory hole" in his upholstery. We both went around him and as I passed him, I said: "I see you met Karma, ain't she a bi*ch!" and went on my way. One of the greatest exchanges I have ever had the pleasure to witness! People here CARE! (Most of us anyway)

No amount of money would replace seeing that and it gives me great pride to know that I live in a place where people will go out of their way to try and correct this type of behavior with these actions! COLORADO ROCKS!

Side Note: I'm also a smoker, and being from California originally, I have a deep appreciation for wildfires and do my part to avoid being the guilty one when the Fire Investigators come pointing their fingers. The guy they pinned the Waldo Canyon fire on last year they should've just put UNDER the jail! I NEVER throw ANYTHING out of my car window, and will even bend over and pick up blowing trash on occasion. I almost always carry a grocery bag of trash down off the mountain when we go "bouldering", I can't stand litterbugs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 04:08 PM

7 posts, read 9,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
They don't have to, they CHOOSE to.

There is nothing stopping people in impoverished states of the USA growing their own healthy fruit and veggies in their own back yard.
Take a look at the two Colorado maps. Lots of people in Bent county Colorado are fat - 28% of them. 32% also happen to be in poverty. People in Douglas county Colorado are some of the skinniest in the nation - less than 15% of them are obese while just about 4% of them happen to be in poverty. What a weird coincidence.

The entire southeast corner of Colorado has high poverty and high obesity. Just compare the two maps. It is naive to ignore that poverty and obesity are tied together in this state (or any other). It is not simply just a matter of growing their own vegetables or joining a gym for those Coloradans. It would be cool if it were that way though. Maybe you can drive to Bent and hand out some seeds.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:09 PM

635 posts, read 892,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfskullpolo View Post
The guy they pinned the Waldo Canyon fire on last year they should've just put UNDER the jail!
Cool story, bro. Not sure what that has to do with the fitness of people in CO, but whatever.
What I want to know is - do you know something we don't? Because AFAIK no one was "pinned" for that fire. It was human caused, but they don't know who did it, if it was accidental or intentional.
Waldo Canyon fire human caused, but intent still to be determined - The Denver Post

Old 08-23-2013, 04:25 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,838,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senortim View Post
Take a look at the two Colorado maps. Lots of people in Bent county Colorado are fat - 28% of them. 32% also happen to be in poverty. People in Douglas county Colorado are some of the skinniest in the nation - less than 15% of them are obese while just about 4% of them happen to be in poverty. What a weird coincidence.

The entire southeast corner of Colorado has high poverty and high obesity. Just compare the two maps. It is naive to ignore that poverty and obesity are tied together in this state (or any other). It is not simwply just a matter of growing their own vegetables or joining a gym for those Coloradans. It would be cool if it were that way though. Maybe you can drive to Bent and hand out some seeds.
Correlation does not equal causation

Sorry, but if you're really in poverty, how can you get fat? That's an insult to everyone in third world counties who are starving.

If you can afford McDonalds you can afford some seeds and/or seedlings.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:37 PM

11 posts, read 28,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Cool story, bro. Not sure what that has to do with the fitness of people in CO, but whatever.
It was a simile response to Post #15 in this thread. Whereby the poster, iknowftbll, drew a correaltion between the fitness of people in a particular region, and the cleanliness of the same region. (Which, technically, could also be construed as "fitness". ) I would tend to agree with this correlation for the most part. Generally, when people are concerned for their own fitness and appearance, the area they inhabit is generally less trashy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik;31100658What I want to know is - do you know something we don't? Because AFAIK no one was "pinned" for that fire. It was human caused, but they don't know who did it, if it was accidental or intentional. :confused:
[URL="http://www.denverpost.com/wildfires/ci_21530228/waldo-canyon-fire-human-caused-but-no-one"
Waldo Canyon fire human caused, but intent still to be determined - The Denver Post[/url]

My apologies, I had relied on second-hand information and the feeling that I had read it somewhere. I stand corrected. But will be praying that ultimately, they will catch the scoundrels, both for the WC and BF fires. And when they DO, put them UNDER the jail!

Old 08-23-2013, 04:41 PM

20,853 posts, read 39,085,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senortim View Post

The entire southeast corner of Colorado has high poverty and high obesity. Just compare the two maps. It is naive to ignore that poverty and obesity are tied together in this state (or any other). It is not simply just a matter of growing their own vegetables or joining a gym for those Coloradans. It would be cool if it were that way though. Maybe you can drive to Bent and hand out some seeds.
Lack of education usually equals poor knowledge of nutrition (and health in general) and lack of disposable income simply exacerbates the situation; these are "kraft mac and cheese" people who eat tons of cheap carbs, fatty fast foods and sugary drinks. In WV (and MS and... and... ) the obesity and diabetes are off the chart but they've plenty of all you can eat (AYCE) buffet eateries and fat-laden family recipes (see Paula Deen). In Appalachia the dentists have a term they use to describe kids there, they call it "Mountain Dew Mouth" as their teeth rot out from the sugar and poor hygiene. Poverty and ignorance are real killers. BTDT.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-23-2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 PM

2,943 posts, read 7,309,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Lack of education usually equals poor knowledge of nutrition (and health in general) and lack of disposable income simply exacerbates the situation; these are "kraft mac and cheese" people who eat tons of cheap carbs, fatty fast foods and sugary drinks. In WV (and MS and... and... ) the obesity and diabetes are off the chart but they've plenty of all you can eat (AYCE) buffet eateries and fat-laden family recipes (see Paula Deen). In Appalachia the dentists have a term they use to describe kids there, they call it "Mountain Dew Mouth" as their teeth rot out from the sugar and poor hygiene. Poverty and ignorance are real killers. BTDT.
You could just sum it up and say fat people are stupid. Or would that be stupid people are mostly fat? Which is it lol

Old 08-23-2013, 10:47 PM

9,980 posts, read 6,274,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I know that some areas, like Boulder, tend to attract a young, exercise-crazy demographic, but overall, the state of Colorado seems to be thinner than most other states.

Mississippi is the fattest state for 6th straight year, Colorado still leanest, Rhode Island getting fatter, Alaska slimmer

Why do you think that might be?
Okay people, don't take this the wrong way, I do like this state. However, the food here isn't that great. Imho, it sucks.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:54 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,909,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Okay people, don't take this the wrong way, I do like this state. However, the food here isn't that great. Imho, it sucks.
Sounds like someone needs a Kale-Aid!

Last edited by Mach50; 08-24-2013 at 01:07 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,454,430 times
I went for a hike on a very steep 5 mile trail yesterday. 6 mountain bikes and 4 or 5 runners passed me at some point. And I passed a few other hikers going the opposite direction. Just a typical Saturday outing in the rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado