U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:06 PM

6,530 posts, read 10,209,894 times

Advertisements

Missouri (10th fattest)
Iowa (12th fattest)
Indiana (15th fattest)
Michigan (16th fattest)
Illinois (18th fattest)
Wisconsin (19th fattest)
Minnesota (the only Midwestern state with an obesity rate below 30% - 39th fattest)

https://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-20-2017 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 04:29 PM

312 posts, read 145,683 times
Assuming it is true, Colorado has the lowest adult obesity rate in the nation (and I have no reason to doubt it), it is not because overweight and obese people move here from out of state, become fit, and dramatically lose their excess weight. I agree that the outdoor activities help, but the type of people who move here are perhaps more likely to engage in outdoor activities, and to have this inclination, they are probably already more fit to begin with and therefore carry around less weight.

They just move to Colorado to have more opportunity to engage in outdoor activities. On the whole, they are probably already more in the "normal" weight category before moving.

The reason I say this -- and it sometimes leads to an argument -- is that exercise is a very inefficient means of losing weight. You have to walk a lot of miles just to burn one pound of fat (3500 kcal) -- estimates vary, but > 20 miles, or perhaps around 40 miles.

Remember it this way: the key to weight loss is the kitchen, not the gym.

(I worked in bariatric surgery for three years as a physician assistant, doing pre-op and post-op visits and surgically assisting in the OR (lap band, sleeve gastrectomy, and gastric bypass).

Add to this the socioeconomic issue -- it cost a lot of money to live in Colorado, and those who move here are more likely to have that income. Unfortunately, obesity rates are higher among the poor, and are highest in certain southern states (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama are three of the top four states): https://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

Last edited by townshend; 08-20-2017 at 04:43 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 05:44 PM

5,337 posts, read 2,771,541 times
Re: All you can eat buffets

Some of you must not have observed the huuuuuugeazzzzz people piling on the food at (drumroll, please) Sweet Tomatoes. Yes, the same place that offers great, healthful salads and soups. Also a smorgasbord of muffins, rolls, breads, pastas, desserts.

When I say "piling on the plate" I truly mean piling. Like, plates heaped so high you hold your breath waiting for the tower to topple over onto the floor, kerSPLAT. To further assist said gluttons' mission of packing on the fat cells, they drown the should-have-been-healthful-in-nonsupersized-portions food with multiple ladles of fatty dressings. How 'bout that reasonable baked potato? BURY IT under two baseballs--one of sour cream covered with bacon bits and one of butter. Yep, sometimes I saw them load up their plate with a few pounds of food, leave it at their table, and immediately return to load up another plate without even having eaten any of the first one! Can you say "kneejerk gluttony"?

It's like a Pavlovian experiment: Put up the All You Can Eat sign and watch the gorgers shove their maws in the trough! Because, hey, they are cheating the system by eating waaaay more than the price was beancounted on. My husband and I both noticed that the initially-reasonable price rose frequently. It dawned on us that we were subsidizing the gluttons. Our visits got fewer and fewer. I wonder what they charge now that it has been years since we ate there.

Wow. Just wow. The amazing part was that this was not just one or two patrons we saw per visit. Nope, it was a solid 25 to 30% of the people in there! And I am going to refute the poverty cry right now, even though there is some truth to the correlation between poverty and obesity. This Sweet Tomatoes was in a fairly affluent suburb frequented by workers driving expensive, new or late-model vehicles. Obesity cuts across all income levels. And in this case, the gluttons could not cry ignorance about nutrition. Greed might be the right term for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado