Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:52 PM

166 posts, read 321,854 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Breck in a couple of months.

Seems like most predictions have the Rockies a bit warmer with above average snowfall.

Anyone heard anything different??

Just curious,

Tj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:27 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
This year I predict that it will be:

Sunny,
Cold,
Dry.

Most of the early snow in the mountains will be man made, and the snow will accumulate as the result of larger sporadic storms.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:04 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyjames14 View Post
I will be moving to Breck in a couple of months.

Seems like most predictions have the Rockies a bit warmer with above average snowfall.

Anyone heard anything different??

Just curious,

Tj

High above timberline, scientists from CU are busily tracking down pikas to measure the thickness of their coats even as I write this. They’re also capturing marmots for some unpleasant reason I don’t want to really understand. However, it’s early days yet and science can make no predictions as to the inches of powder/packed powder which may (or may not) bless the ski slopes in the area of Breckenridge for winter 2013/2014.

However the ski bums at powderchasers.com are happy to oblige. One prediction they made is that a weak El Nino event over the winter months may bestow upon the Rockies (including Breckenridge, I presume) lots of nice winter snowfall with temps somewhat warmer than usual.

HOWEVER – well, maybe not. In a more recent report, powderchasers.com seemed to be completely baffled and had little useful info to add.

I’m sure NOAA has some more accurate info. You might try a google search using terms like “NOAA”, “Colorado”, “winter 2013-14,” etc.

Or maybe someone else on the board has been counting up the rings on fuzzy caterpillars, and they’ll be able to give you the scoop.

BTW, just in general, Colorado has been experiencing milder winters with less snowfall - so, you're half right in your OP.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:27 AM

529 posts, read 1,547,861 times
I certainly hope this winter is snowy! The last two have been way to mild.

The recent snow on Pikes Peak and Mount Sneffels has been a good sign, but I guess this doesn't mean anything really.

Last edited by JMM64; 08-10-2013 at 03:43 AM..

Old 08-10-2013, 03:54 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I have a 100% reliable weather predictor for Colorado: my weather rock

If it's wet, it's raining, white it's snowing, gone it's windy.

I've only lived here since 2009 but have learned winter weather predictions are always wrong.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:49 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
High above timberline, scientists from CU are busily tracking down pikas to measure the thickness of their coats even as I write this. They’re also capturing marmots for some unpleasant reason I don’t want to really understand. However, it’s early days yet and science can make no predictions as to the inches of powder/packed powder which may (or may not) bless the ski slopes in the area of Breckenridge for winter 2013/2014.

However the ski bums at powderchasers.com are happy to oblige. One prediction they made is that a weak El Nino event over the winter months may bestow upon the Rockies (including Breckenridge, I presume) lots of nice winter snowfall with temps somewhat warmer than usual.

HOWEVER – well, maybe not. In a more recent report, powderchasers.com seemed to be completely baffled and had little useful info to add.

I’m sure NOAA has some more accurate info. You might try a google search using terms like “NOAA”, “Colorado”, “winter 2013-14,” etc.

Or maybe someone else on the board has been counting up the rings on fuzzy caterpillars, and they’ll be able to give you the scoop.

BTW, just in general, Colorado has been experiencing milder winters with less snowfall - so, you're half right in your OP.
Latest Climate Prediction Center update predicts ENSO neutral conditions for Fall into Winter on their website.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
This years monsoons in SW CO are back to or above normal and I predict a heavy deep snow winter finally! It has been to long since we had one. It kind of cleanses the area of certain unwanted things like all wheel drive crap cars and the occupants

Old 08-11-2013, 12:43 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
This years monsoons in SW CO are back to or above normal and I predict a heavy deep snow winter finally! It has been to long since we had one. It kind of cleanses the area of certain unwanted things like all wheel drive crap cars and the occupants
Yeah, more room for me and my sure footed old Toyota truck. Take THAT, flatlanders! Red Mountain here we come!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:03 PM

399 posts, read 817,105 times
Three weeks before Christmas it'll snow like crazy and then we'll have snow on the lawns by Christmas but it won't be a white Christmas. ;D It actually won't snow on Christmas this year (at least in Boulder county). That's my prediction.

And there will be even more people on the road who don't know how to drive in the snow that cause more delays (or drive in the snow without proper tires). That's always a given.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:05 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I've studied southern Colorado weather patterns for about four decades or so. One clear conclusion that emerges from that is that, more often than not, the behavior of the Southwest Monsoon offers almost no insight into what the winter snowpack season will be like. I'm praying for a very wet winter in the Southern Rockies because, without one, next year will likley destroy a lot of what's left of the southern Colorado agricultural economy. I don't give a crap what the winter does for the ski areas or the people who patronize them--it's agriculture that I care about, and I make no apologies about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado