U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 AM

18 posts, read 18,186 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! So my husband and I are ready for our next adventure and have settled on Colorado. We have some friends in the Denver and Fort Collins area and have researched a lot about the area. My husband and I are both in our late twenties with no kids. He is in diesel mechanics (just got out of the army) and I am a nanny. I go to school online and he can either go to school in Colorado Springs or Aurora. We are having trouble deciding where to go. We love that Colorado Springs is more small town city feel, with cheaper rent/house prices, and closer to the mountains. I know CS is more of a military area with the multiple bases so he would also have access to more Veteran resources there. He can transfer his job to Commerce City or Wheat Ridge so if we moved to CS he would have to find another job. I heard Denver has more diesel jobs but the appeal of Colorado Springs is strong as well. Does anyone have any advice about which area would be better? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:51 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,428,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralala1013 View Post
Hi everyone! So my husband and I are ready for our next adventure and have settled on Colorado. We have some friends in the Denver and Fort Collins area and have researched a lot about the area. My husband and I are both in our late twenties with no kids. He is in diesel mechanics (just got out of the army) and I am a nanny. I go to school online and he can either go to school in Colorado Springs or Aurora. We are having trouble deciding where to go. We love that Colorado Springs is more small town city feel, with cheaper rent/house prices, and closer to the mountains. I know CS is more of a military area with the multiple bases so he would also have access to more Veteran resources there. He can transfer his job to Commerce City or Wheat Ridge so if we moved to CS he would have to find another job. I heard Denver has more diesel jobs but the appeal of Colorado Springs is strong as well. Does anyone have any advice about which area would be better? Thank you!
If he can transfer his job and you are really determined to move to Colorado, it might be in your best interest to go where the job is. I'd pick Wheat Ridge over Commerce City based on your preferences. It's closer to the mountains and generally a nicer area. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Aurora (I grew up there). There are Veteran resources in Denver as well.

After you become established in CO you can decide whether you want to move to the Springs and look for jobs. It might be more difficult financially, and otherwise, to move there without a job secured.

I am a bit confused though. Is your husband going to school and working too? You mentioned that he can either go to school in Colo. Springs or Aurora. Does he need to be close to the school as well?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 AM

11 posts, read 28,613 times
Strictly a personal opinion, but I would choose CS any day over the Denver Metro area. In my experience, CS has a slightly lower cost of living, somewhat more relaxed pace, and is closer to more of the activities that my family enjoys. Also, Denver is only a 40 minute drive north and we can, and do go there occasionally for various experiences that aren't available in CS. IOW, Denver's a nice place to visit, but I personally wouldn't choose to live there.

I lived in Aurora after I got out of the Navy back in the late 80's, but the demographics of Aurora, and the whole Denver Metro area have changed considerably since then. For the difference in the cost of living, it's more sensible for us to live in CS and only go to Denver when we have to.

Being in your late 20's with no children, you may prefer the faster pace that Denver can offer though.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfskullpolo View Post
Strictly a personal opinion, but I would choose CS any day over the Denver Metro area. In my experience, CS has a slightly lower cost of living, somewhat more relaxed pace, and is closer to more of the activities that my family enjoys. Also, Denver is only a 40 minute drive north and we can, and do go there occasionally for various experiences that aren't available in CS. IOW, Denver's a nice place to visit, but I personally wouldn't choose to live there.

I lived in Aurora after I got out of the Navy back in the late 80's, but the demographics of Aurora, and the whole Denver Metro area have changed considerably since then. For the difference in the cost of living, it's more sensible for us to live in CS and only go to Denver when we have to.

Being in your late 20's with no children, you may prefer the faster pace that Denver can offer though.
That's exactly why I was leaning towards CS because of what you describe, although our priority is of course him having/finding a good job in diesel mechanics while he goes to school. We actually prefer a slower pace of life and a more family-orientated atmosphere as we plan on starting a family within a couple of years and are over the "party lifestyle". I love a more suburban feel.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
If he can transfer his job and you are really determined to move to Colorado, it might be in your best interest to go where the job is. I'd pick Wheat Ridge over Commerce City based on your preferences. It's closer to the mountains and generally a nicer area. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Aurora (I grew up there). There are Veteran resources in Denver as well.

After you become established in CO you can decide whether you want to move to the Springs and look for jobs. It might be more difficult financially, and otherwise, to move there without a job secured.

I am a bit confused though. Is your husband going to school and working too? You mentioned that he can either go to school in Colo. Springs or Aurora. Does he need to be close to the school as well?

My husband will be going to school and working so if we live in Denver it would have to be close to Aurora and either commerce city/wheat ridge. What neighborhoods in Denver would you guys suggest that's close to Aurora and his job? It might be a good idea to live there first and then scout out CS for potential jobs if we don't like the Denver area. I would be afraid to just move to CS without either of us having employment.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 PM

20,853 posts, read 39,085,412 times
Aurora is very large. Can you give us the cross streets of the school he will attend there, that location will matter a lot.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Aurora is very large. Can you give us the cross streets of the school he will attend there, that location will matter a lot.
The school in Aurora is 16000 E Centretech Pkwy Aurora, CO. I believe Commerce City is closer to the school. Hope that helps

Old 08-23-2013, 12:48 PM

13,963 posts, read 20,232,249 times
Rental budget?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:57 PM

We don't really have one but would like to rent a 1-2 bedroom apartment for $800-1000 a month. Of course, that can be adjusted somewhat. We don't need anything fancy. Just somewhere safe and with a good commute.

Last edited by lauralala1013; 08-23-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,428,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralala1013 View Post
The school in Aurora is 16000 E Centretech Pkwy Aurora, CO. I believe Commerce City is closer to the school. Hope that helps
Honestly, I wouldn't live anywhere near that location in Aurora. Maybe I've just had too many bad experiences there, but it has way too much crime for my taste. I'm not a fan of Commerce City either. In Aurora, I would only consider areas much further south of that location. However, I do believe they are gentrifying the area around the old Fitzimons and Stapleton, so there might be nice areas, but not in that budget, I'm afraid.

Your rental budget won't get you much in the areas I would live. How often will he be attending classes? Daily, a few days a week, evenings/nights? The commute on I-225 is horrible during rush hour and not great on I-70 either. I'd still probably pick Wheat Ridge or an area west of I-25, especially if he will be going to school outside of typical rush hour times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or