U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:06 AM

493 posts, read 702,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Jeee. Sus.

Someone help me. How is it that people are so COMPLETELY uninformed on Colorado's pot laws? They have only been in the state newspapers for what, a year now? I don't expect the average person to know or care, but clearly, the stoners and pot heads are not getting the message.

Cannabis sales ARE banned the in vast majority of the state and use IS restricted to home only, everywhere, period. Do you not understand?

God help us. We don't have court capacity to process all the ignorant morons who live here and think you will be able to smoke pot openly, let alone the influx of college kids thinking Denver will be Amsterdam.

Read the last four paragraphs in this article. Tell us if you comprehend them.

Marijuana industry prepares for 2014, but is Colorado ready? - The Denver Post
i missed the notes about Glendale. thanks.

the state newspapers have been so tilted toward warnings about the coming horrors that they are just spreading the false perceptions of wide-open use and sale. they will not be printing pictures of clean-cut young professionals and parents and old-timers lined up at the stores. they will only show the usual stereotypical stoners laughing maniacally as they light up and blow smoke into the photographers lens.

cannabis sales, growing and use have been going on almost openly for years in colorado and washington by citizens and tourists. the same goes for alcohol. that will all continue about as usual. the courts and society haven't collapsed yet (arguably) and won't in january. the state populations will continue to double, just as predicted for years. judges, lawyers, and police will be continue to be hired to keep up with that. taxes, corruption/crime and spending will continue to climb as usual. ugly strip-malls and cookie-cutter development will continue to spread as usual. children's iq's will continue to be stunted by lousy institutional education to-the-test as usual. they will continue to grow into tomorrow's politicians, fast-food clerks, and billionaires as usual.

eventually, the cheap-shot propaganda headlines and sound bites will change into something equally as provocative and emotional - like guns and secession and the middle east, for instance? what we CAN hope for is that fewer people are sucked in by prohibitionist fever, fewer people end up in prison and fewer people are lured into alcohol abuse.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 09-02-2013 at 03:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 03:48 PM

4,060 posts, read 6,405,334 times
Perhaps the feds will come to Colorado and lock everyone up. Maybe that's a bit impractical. The US now has almost 3 million people behind bars at a cost of $28,000 annually per inmate. Somewhere around 75% of those jailed are there for drug charges and of the 75% about 66% are there for minor marijuana charges. I'm not too good at math but that sounds like about $560 billion of tax payer money going to house a bunch of people whose only crime is puffing on a joint. It doesn't matter if you are for or against marijuana legalization this insanity is costing the US taxpayer money we do not have to spend. In the meantime we have homeless children and vets. Seniors going hungry and homeless. Education going down the toilet. Not to mention no decent jobs.

Coloradoalimony,

The feds won't be coming to CO or CA or any other state allowing marijuana. It just doesn't make sense no matter how you spin it unless you are a pharmaceutical company advocate. That brings me to the real reasons marijuana is blackballed by the feds; we now have a corporate government run by big business. (Pharmaceutical being the largest). If pharmaceutical companies could find a way to patent marijuana it would be on every drug store shelf in the world. The funny thing is the US is the only patent holder on marijuana. That's kinda funny considering our government says marijuana has no value. BTW, every attempt to mimic cannabis in a lab is either a failure or has horrible side effects. You know, you just can't beat mother nature when it comes to something good for us.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:20 PM

14,507 posts, read 22,367,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
...and of the 75% about 66% are there for minor marijuana charges. I'm not too good at math but that sounds like about $560 billion of tax payer money going to house a bunch of people whose only crime is puffing on a joint.
ummm... I'm not too good at legal matters but don't you mean dealership and distribution... aka being a pawn in the scheme of putting money into the hands of deadly and murderous drug cartels?

I'd agree that the decriminalization of weed would shake this up, but will the aftermath be Utopia? Not so sure just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Utopia is an inner experience, totally unrelated to the legal status of weed.
Oh, well thanks for getting technical on me.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-02-2013 at 05:03 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,849,592 times
McGowdog wrote: decriminalization of weed would shake this up, but will the aftermath be Utopia? Not so sure just yet.

I'm sure of almost nothing in this world. Saying that decriminalization of weed would NOT usher in a Utopia, is one thing I am sure of. Utopia is an inner experience, totally unrelated to the legal status of weed.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:47 PM

4,060 posts, read 6,405,334 times
Why is it that when the subject of marijuana is brought up the subject turns to the downside? We allow alcohol and 21,000 people die each year due to drunk driving and yet we allow drinking. The US government has determined that texting while driving is more dangerous than drunk driving and yet everyone has a cell phone. The answer is simple, most of us are responsible and use alcohol and cell phones responsibly and the same would apply to marijuana.

My argument for the legalization of cannabis is medical and I could write volumes on the subject but please watch this one video to see the progress of the cannabis plant by individuals who don't get a penny in grants. By remaining ignorant of this one medicine, cannabis, we deny relief to the very people who need it especially children who could benefit from it.

Charlotte's Web and Zaki's Journey - YouTube

Old 09-03-2013, 05:05 AM

146 posts, read 226,201 times
Does this work for all seizures?

How the heck did anyone think, to take the high out of weed and that is gonna regulate the brain of these little people? Can only be Inspiration! Thank God! Thank God!

Old 09-03-2013, 06:50 AM

599 posts, read 833,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Perhaps the feds will come to Colorado and lock everyone up. Maybe that's a bit impractical. The US now has almost 3 million people behind bars at a cost of $28,000 annually per inmate. Somewhere around 75% of those jailed are there for drug charges and of the 75% about 66% are there for minor marijuana charges. I'm not too good at math but that sounds like about $560 billion of tax payer money going to house a bunch of people whose only crime is puffing on a joint. It doesn't matter if you are for or against marijuana legalization this insanity is costing the US taxpayer money we do not have to spend. In the meantime we have homeless children and vets. Seniors going hungry and homeless. Education going down the toilet. Not to mention no decent jobs.

Coloradoalimony,

The feds won't be coming to CO or CA or any other state allowing marijuana. It just doesn't make sense no matter how you spin it unless you are a pharmaceutical company advocate. That brings me to the real reasons marijuana is blackballed by the feds; we now have a corporate government run by big business. (Pharmaceutical being the largest). If pharmaceutical companies could find a way to patent marijuana it would be on every drug store shelf in the world. The funny thing is the US is the only patent holder on marijuana. That's kinda funny considering our government says marijuana has no value. BTW, every attempt to mimic cannabis in a lab is either a failure or has horrible side effects. You know, you just can't beat mother nature when it comes to something good for us.
Does smoking pot remove people's ability to reason?

Again. The Feds don't have to bust every user to kill the industry. They don't even have to visit every shop or grow operation. They simply send out registered letters to everyone who grows commercially or runs a shop (these people all all registered with the state), telling them to cease and desist. The 10% stupid enough to keep running their business are busted, and everyone else stops.

That's it. The DEA has 10,000 employees. This is not rocket science. I guarantee they ALREADY have a plan in place to do this. Whether the execute the plan is up to Obama and Holder.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Does smoking pot remove people's ability to reason?

Again. The Feds don't have to bust every user to kill the industry. They don't even have to visit every shop or grow operation. They simply send out registered letters to everyone who grows commercially or runs a shop (these people all all registered with the state), telling them to cease and desist. The 10% stupid enough to keep running their business are busted, and everyone else stops.

That's it. The DEA has 10,000 employees. This is not rocket science. I guarantee they ALREADY have a plan in place to do this. Whether the execute the plan is up to Obama and Holder.
...or Hillary in a few years (with Holder long gone and a half dozen more states voting on legalization). wonder where she will stand on the issue when her time comes (if she has any free time after grappling with Syria, Iran, and N.Korea)?

Political positions of Hillary Rodham Clinton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Hillary Clinton has pledged to end medical marijuana raids against users in states in which the use is legal.[179] Clinton opposes decriminalization of marijuana."

Hillary Clinton: Drug Legalization Won't End The Drug War
"We are formulating our own response to the votes of two of our states as you know -- what that means for the federal system, the federal laws and law enforcement,"

Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Canon City - the Colorado senior "sweet spot"?

Marijuana a hot topic this week for Fremont County, Canon City Council - Canon City Daily Record

"In a memorandum from Havens to Mayor Tony Greer and the council, he said a consensus of council members who attended the Aug. 21 meeting suggests that the council is likely to permit retail marijuana establishments and to "consider various forms of regulation after careful study of applicable laws and regulations and an analysis of social and financial benefits and impacts that are likely to be associated with allowing retail marijuana establishments to be operated within the city.""

fyi - Trinidad city council is voting on it today - extend their moratorium or go for the green-gold?
http://trinidad.co.gov/pages/governm...3%20Agenda.pdf

Last edited by highplainsrus; 09-03-2013 at 10:11 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 03:14 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,840,308 times
Last I read, the feds gave the big banks the OK to take money from the retail shops without fear of prosecution for money laundering etc. They cited that dealing only in cash was causing an unnecessary risk due to robbery etc.

Gotta say, if Holder keeps his word (leaving CO & WA alone) then he has earned a little respect from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado