U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:08 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,635,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Apparently you flunked social studies. Federal Law supersedes state law in any case where they conflict.

The Colorado legislature could also pass a law making it "legal" to not pay your Federal Income Taxes, couldn't they? What do you think the IRS would say about that?

This issue really illustrates the failure of our education system over the last 30 years.
My, my.... you apparently don't understand that that under the tenth amendment, the states cannot be forced to enforce federal law and 99% of drug war enforcement is performed by the states.

Read your history, it's the same way alcohol prohibition ended. You can cite the supremacy clause all you like. It doesn't matter because the feds will have to enforce their laws themselves and they don't have the resources to do that..... unless you'd like to pay more taxes to hire more federal officers to do so.

Apparently you flunked understanding the reality of the situation here.

Your commentary is off topic & does not respond in any way to the OP's question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 09:15 AM

599 posts, read 833,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Yes but the Feds are not ever never going to swoop into Telluride, or Colorado Springs, or anyplace else in this state and start rounding up pot heads. Personally I can't stand the smell of the stuff, makes me sick to my stomach. But the people decided to legalize it, so be it. Don't smoke it in front of me, and I won't throw up on you.

The OP asked for the best places to live, not a civics lesson.
They need a civics lesson to prevent them from making a life decision based on faulty reasoning.

I think it is very likely that recreational and MMJ use will be shut down next year. The Feds have been looking for a reason to shut down MMJ for years without looking like meanies. Recreational laws give them a reason. They'll just claim the entire marijuana growing industry is criminal, and it will all be gone.

Jared Polis knows a lot more about this than you or I. Why would he, a Democrat, risk his position by publicly calling for Eric Holder's resignation over this issue unless he knew something was up?

Democratic Rep. Polis Would Be 'Very Happy' If Eric Holder Resigns - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

Obama has been given his orders by his corporate handlers and contributors: Kill the pot movement. He has passed those to Eric Holder. Stay tuned.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,187,333 times
Quote:
Apparently you flunked social studies. Federal Law supersedes state law in any case where they conflict.

Not a big believer in States Rights I see.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
My, my.... you apparently don't understand that that under the tenth amendment, the states cannot be forced to enforce federal law and 99% of drug war enforcement is performed by the states.

Read your history, it's the same way alcohol prohibition ended. You can cite the supremacy clause all you like. It doesn't matter because the feds will have to enforce their laws themselves and they don't have the resources to do that..... unless you'd like to pay more taxes to hire more federal officers to do so.

Apparently you flunked understanding the reality of the situation here.

Your commentary is off topic & does not respond in any way to the OP's question.
Anyone pulling up roots and moving to Colorado becasue they think pot is "legal" here is making a stupid life decision, and needs this information. Here, I'll answer her question: NOWHERE in Colorado are you ever going to see pot openly being smoked in pot shops or coffee shops or cafes or anywhere else for more than a short period of time. Pot is a Schedule I controlled substance under Federal Law, and YOUR elected Federal officials have taken an oath to the Constitution to uphold the laws of the United States.

There are over 10,000 DEA agents in the US, and tens of thousands more other Federal enforcement officials. They will send letters to each dispensary telling them they have one week to shut down or be arrested under Federal drug trafficking laws. A week later, they will start arresting those who didn't shut down. It doesn't take an army. They don't need to bust every user to kill the industry, they just bust the dispensaries. Obama is already doing this anyway:

Obama's War on Pot | Politics News | Rolling Stone

Old 08-24-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Not a big believer in States Rights I see.
Not a big believer in the US Constitution, I see.

Have you ever read it?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:40 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,187,333 times
Quote:
Anyone pulling up roots and moving to Colorado becasue they think pot is "legal" here is making a stupid life decision, and needs this information. Here, I'll answer her question: NOWHERE in Colorado are you ever going to see pot openly being smoked in pot shops or coffee shops or cafes or anywhere else for more than a short period of time. Pot is a Schedule I controlled substance under Federal Law, and YOUR elected Federal officials have taken an oath to the Constitution to uphold the laws of the United States.

There are over 10,000 DEA agents in the US, and tens of thousands more other Federal enforcement officials. They will send letters to each dispensary telling them they have one week to shut down or be arrested under Federal drug trafficking laws. A week later, they will start arresting those who didn't shut down. It doesn't take an army. They don't need to bust every user to kill the industry, they just bust the dispensaries. Obama is already doing this anyway:

There was plenty of available pot in Colorado before both Amendment 20 & 64 and there will be plenty no matter what the feds do. Despite what the government does on taxing and regulations, possession & growing of pot will be legal. The feds will never come after individual users.

Lollie,

Welcome to Colorado! You are welcome to join some other 55+, freedom loving folks for "very happy hour" on my front porch.

I would ignore the "be afraid, be very afraid" message from coloradoalimony.
No storm troopers and black helicopters here, just a "live and let live" vibe.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:56 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,635,692 times
Quote:

The issue of state vs federal legality has already been discussed to death in this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...marijuana.html

Old 08-24-2013, 11:30 AM

409 posts, read 582,253 times
Quote:
YOUR anointed savior, Mr. Obama, could change this with the stroke of his pen, but he refuses.
Hooray for assumptions!

Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
Hooray for assumptions!
That is a fact, not an assumption.

Obama has directed the DEA to increase their enforcement against "legal" dispensaries. He has NO intention of changing anything.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
The issue of state vs federal legality has already been discussed to death in this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...marijuana.html

And many sane arguments that are identical to mine were made, countered by wishful "will of the the people" arguments.

Your own link to an article in "The Daily Chronic" (a truly neutral source ) said exactly what I have said here: the Supreme Court has already weighed in, the DEA can shut down any business selling weed, they HAVE shut the majority of businesses in CA selling weed, and Obama is doing nothing to stop them. They also hint they even they know that recreational shops are unlikely to actually ever get off the ground in CO and WA. As soon as licenses are issued, they will be sued into oblivion by Obama and Holder.

If someone can't see *this* handwriting on the wall, and actually moves here thinking they are entering into pot nirvanaland, I simply can't help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado