U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,187,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
If the Federal government decides to end Colorado's and Washington's experiments with legalization, they will do it without the Prohibition-style raids of the 1930s. The most likely tactic the Federal government will pursue is to withhold money for programs until the state/people get rid of Amendment 64. This is how the Federal government got all of the states to raise their drinking ages to 21.

It is possible that the Federal government could:
- withhold education money from the state and school districts because $40 million in tax money (if it gets voted in) is supposed to school construction. The state would lose about 10% of its education funding.

- withhold money for improvement and maintenance of roads and highways. They could also end subsidies for mass transit.

- require drug testing for people who are collecting Federal disability payments like SSI or other payments like unemployment or welfare. I doubt they would do this though.

There are other scenarios that the Feds could use as well.

The state government could end the experiment without going to the voters if they wish. They could very easily have Amendment 64 declared unconstitutional so it could be wiped off the books without a vote.
Although everything you mentioned is theoretically possible, it is not politically possible.
Obama came to Colorado 10 times in the fall of 2012 begging for our votes.
It would be quite ironic for him to ignore the will of the voters.
Colorado is a political swing state, neither party can afford to **** off the voters.
The Republicans who speak highly of individual freedom and States Rights would be shooting themselves in the foot to move against a State Constitutional Amendment.
Nationwide there would be little support for a crackdown on States Rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,885,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Although everything you mentioned is theoretically possible, it is not politically possible.
Colorado is a political swing state, neither party can afford to **** off the voters.
The Republicans who speak highly of individual freedom and States Rights would be shooting themselves in the foot to move against a State Constitutional Amendment.
President Obama is in his last term. There is no political fallout for him.

The state is a swing state because of the large group of unaffiliated voters (about 33%). This group is notoriously fickle and tends to vote issue by issue. I doubt that most of them would defect over one issue. Besides, they tend to change sides after about 8 years. I don't think they are voting for Democrats in the next election unless the Republicans do something really stupid like run Sarah Palin.

Republicans believe in states rights when it benefits their agenda (voter laws, educational standards, etc), and they believe in a strong Federal government when it benefits their agenda (gay marriage ban, war on drugs, etc.). The Democrats are no different. Moving against a state constitution would be neither new nor surprising from either party.

Nationwide, voters have a short memory. If the government ended the marijuana experiment, few people would care 3 months later. You could expect the outrage to die down sooner if a Kardashian had a baby or Lindsay Lohan went to rehab again.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,426,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
We're retired & traveling the rockies living in rentals in areas where we can downhill & skate ski.

$500/month rent is a bit out of the question in most places. Pueblo, Walsenburg or Leadville, maybe I would recommend you research.

What are your other interests and needs? Do you mind cold weather? snow? Want to be near major medical? skiing? hiking? fishing?
Getting back to the OP's question, I think Bongo hit the nail on the head. $500/month is a very difficult budget. My grandmother, who lives in Littleton low income senior housing, pays around this, but she has a 1 bed, 1 bath, 400 sq.ft. apartment. It's in a nice area, but she has no amenities besides a common area and a laundry room, and it also took her about 6 months to finally get into the apartment because there was such demand.

If you are saying $500/month for your portion of the budget, and $500 for your friend, then you might have a little bit more luck with a $1000/month budget.

I would suggest helping us to narrow down places to look by offering up more information about other things to like. You can easily stay in OK and smoke MJ pretty much the same as you find in CO. You still have to partake in privacy, for the most part.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM

599 posts, read 833,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
It would be ironic for Obama to ignore the will of the voters? Do you even know what Obama does? He clearly doesn't give a rat's behind about what the voters think about pot or anything else.

Obama's War on Pot | Politics News | Rolling Stone

Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 AM

30 posts, read 39,073 times
Question What's a job like that pay CA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
The OP wanted to know where she could hang with her buds (both kinds) in a coffee shop or commercial social setting. The answer is nowhere. Not today, not January 1, 2014.
It was asked with smiling "hopefulness," as opposed to "I'm going to kill myself or others if I can't" determination. What I really want is a 55+ complex where you can go sit outside with friends. Not right in front of the doors blowing smoke into the faces of other residents, more like downwind.

Who do you socialize with CA? And where? And what laws prevent you from it?

You are so righteous in your determination to rain on my little parade. ***** is sixty years old and thinks she can hang out with her friends finally??? Oh nay, nay!!! Not on my watch!!!

Clearly you're not wasting your life having fun. You're wasting it doing your utmost to make sure others don't. I know, I know. It's a hard job, but someone's got to do it. Or... do you?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 AM

11,060 posts, read 12,411,987 times
Once again, Telluride.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,452,083 times
Lollie, my experience is that folks here still smoke pot in the privacy inside their homes with friends, family, or alone, not outside in yards with neighbors nearby or in a common area. Folks are still very discreet.

I live in a town where the town council is already having discussions regarding how many MJ retail shops and production operations should be allowed and other such regulations, but I never, ever smell pot anywhere outside in town.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Once again, Telluride.
You obviously didn't read the part where the OP said her housing budget is $500/month.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie Lollie View Post
It was asked with smiling "hopefulness," as opposed to "I'm going to kill myself or others if I can't" determination. What I really want is a 55+ complex where you can go sit outside with friends. Not right in front of the doors blowing smoke into the faces of other residents, more like downwind.

Who do you socialize with CA? And where? And what laws prevent you from it?

You are so righteous in your determination to rain on my little parade. ***** is sixty years old and thinks she can hang out with her friends finally??? Oh nay, nay!!! Not on my watch!!!

Clearly you're not wasting your life having fun. You're wasting it doing your utmost to make sure others don't. I know, I know. It's a hard job, but someone's got to do it. Or... do you?
I am personally for total legalization of marijuana. That does not mean I think it should be smoked just anywhere, any more than I would support a law allowing people to walk down the street swilling out of a whiskey bottle.

You obviously have very little actual knowledge of the situation in Colorado. There are very, very few 55+ "complexes" in this state as you would see in Florida or Arizona. The ones that do exist are way, way out of your $500/mo price range. You are not going to find a "complex" where people gather in the courtyard to smoke pot. You are not going to find cafes or coffee shops where this is allowed because those are specifically prohibited.

The majority of large towns have already passed ordinances against allowing pot to be sold at retail within their limits. The ones allowing it are taxing it heavily. You will be able to go in, buy up to one ounce (1/4 ounce if you don't live in CO), and then go home and smoke it privately. That's it.

If you really think it is worth moving here simply so you can walk into a store and buy an ounce of pot, have at it. I'm just trying to give you the full picture so you don't end up here wondering why you just uprooted yourself because you had some illusion that the entire state is going to be blowing weed in public.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,187,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
If you really think it is worth moving here simply so you can walk into a store and buy an ounce of pot, have at it. I'm just trying to give you the full picture so you don't end up here wondering why you just uprooted yourself because you had some illusion that the entire state is going to be blowing weed in public.
You obviously missed the whole thing about smoking a bowl on top of a mountain, which can't be done in Oklahoma. And besides having the best MJ laws in the county, we also have the best beer in the country.

P.S. I'm sure you will quickly point out the many mountaintops in Colorado are on Federal land (National Parks and Forest Service) and therefore MJ is illegal by federal law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado