U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:19 AM

599 posts, read 832,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
You obviously missed the whole thing about smoking a bowl on top of a mountain, which can't be done in Oklahoma. And besides having the best MJ laws in the county, we also have the best beer in the country.

P.S. I'm sure you will quickly point out the many mountaintops in Colorado are on Federal land (National Parks and Forest Service) and therefore MJ is illegal by federal law.
I'll just quickly point out that unless you OWN the top of the mountain, and no one can see you smoking there, it is illegal to smoke on top of a mountain.

(d) CONSUMPTION OF MARIJUANA, PROVIDED THAT NOTHING IN THIS SECTION SHALL PERMIT CONSUMPTION THAT IS CONDUCTED OPENLY AND PUBLICLY OR IN A MANNER THAT ENDANGERS OTHERS.

I am quite amused by the lack of awareness about what 64 really allows. For example, you can still be fired for testing positive for marijuana. You can't smoke where you can be seen. Not every town will allow marijuana to be sold. There will be *NO* legal cafes or coffee shops where you can smoke pot. And so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM

284 posts, read 617,209 times
The best place for you would be on a desert island where you could smoke all the dope you want without consequence. The last thing this state needs are people who come aboard solely for the purpose of "legally" getting high off of marijuana.

Good grief.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,009,192 times
"Run for the hills Jeb, dem pot smokin liberal, radicals is uh skinnin uz alive."

Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,635,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Bound View Post
The best place for you would be on a desert island where you could smoke all the dope you want without consequence. The last thing this state needs are people who come aboard solely for the purpose of "legally" getting high off of marijuana.

Good grief.
Is this that famous Colorado "live & let live" attitude? Just wondering........

Old 08-28-2013, 09:39 AM

493 posts, read 701,938 times
i was just moseying through the southern front-range area and found some pretty and affordable areas in trinidad, pueblo and canon city (don't sweat the prison) with several mmj shops. most of those will probably convert to recreational. then the drive up from canon city to more expensive old colorado city is pleasantly scenic. old cc has a soothing vibe for our subculture (avoiding tourist hordes where possible). pueblo and fremont counties will be mj friendly with relatively short drives/bikerides up to higher elevations when weather permits.

all in all, canon city looks like a good place for aging newcomers to settle in with limited budgets while continuing to scout other friendly areas on the west slope and around denver. canon city tourists will be minimal until the gorge facilities are rebuilt from the fire. there are small houses and senior apartments. downtown is good for strolling. plenty of fremont county law enforcement around to keep us safe from "bad elements". relatively short drive down to new mexico (be neighborly/cautious and refrain from taking bud while visiting there). the locals say raton pass usually stays open during winter, but watch out for the blizzards.

nederland, telluride, etc. will be great to visit, but hard to afford. shouldn't be too difficult to eventually join/gather micro-communities of like-minded people to share costs, home-grows and recreation. everybody i encountered along the way was friendly and down-to-earth. traffic gets a little more frantic further north along the range, but just stay loose, drive friendly and enjoy the scenery as you roam. try to avoid the national chain businesses and spend your money with local establishments. enjoy watching and helping the evolution of a64 rollout, while you wait for residency license plates and id. you may want to avoid the mmj registry, but its troubles may go away before long. colorado air is great for some respiratory problems. i breathed easier than i have for a long time. keep the a/c turned off and the windows open. stay hydrated.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:02 AM

632 posts, read 1,455,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
I can't believe how many naive people there are around this issue.

Pot is *not* legal in Colorado, Washington, or anywhere else in the US. It is still a prohibited drug on Schedule I of the DEA's list of prohibited drugs, along with ecstacy, LSD, heroin, and peyote.

If you don't like that, I suggest you write your federal elected officials. Until Marijuana is LEGAL, I certainly wouldn't make a life choice to move somewhere based on an illusion that people are going to be sitting around smoking it freely. Obama is going to make sure that doesn't happen. You may be surprised to know that Obama has directed the DEA to raid *many* more pot dispensaries than George Bush or any other president.

Please look closely at the drug classifications. Pot is Schedule I with the highest penalties, theoretically becasue it is extremely dangerous. Oxycontin, cocaine and METH are Schedule II !!! Vicodin is Schedule III and Valium is Schedule IV !!!!

Seriously folks, these are the rules that govern us. YOUR anointed savior, Mr. Obama, could change this with the stroke of his pen, but he refuses. Think about that the next time you hear him speak and think he is "for the people".

snip

Remember when Montana had no daytime speed limit back in the 90's? Didn't last long, did it? wrecks were up two fold, many of whom were not even from that state. I think the same thing will happen with the marijuana laws. I think folks here in Colorado and Washington will have it axed because of the reckless behaviour that will likely result. Especially if we get a conservative republican as president in 2016, consider it done. Just think if Romney got in there this year, legalization would have already been repealed. Personally the dream of MJ becoming federally legal or at least decriminalized across the USA.. is a pipe dream.. pun intended.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-28-2013 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Fixing quoted material

Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,690,649 times
How about in a yurt?

Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 PM

493 posts, read 701,938 times
trinidad is charming and delightful to wake up in. worth stopping for a visit after your flatland car struggles through raton pass. it isn't tuned for the altitude and steep hills. these are the low mountains. higher ones await. take the free trolley tour at the visitor center for some chuckles and a look at historic buildings. stroll downtown. skip the walmart area west of i-25 unless you need something you can't get at Safeway on the east side.

you can stop at Odie's BBQ along i25 in walsenburg to try your first green chile slopper. may or may not be the best around, but good enough as an intro to the dish. the chile harvest is happening. watch for shopping center parking lot roastings.

pueblo is a quirky city. currently having a heat wave that is different (sneaky dry intense) from flatland heat waves. wear a hat and sunscreen until you adapt. you'll want to pick up a free city map at the chamber of commerce downtown on santa fe trail (leave a contribution) and learn the major thru-streets to get around. it may take some time to learn your way around. downtown has an ok vibe, but stay alert to negotiate the streets and traffic. the riverwalk is sort of pleasant in an artificial way. the southeast neighborhoods are very low income with a barrio feel, if you're into that sort of thing. southwest (fairgrounds, etc.) is low income, with a more historic flavor. the public golf course is pretty. northern neighborhoods are higher income. industrial stuff is scattered along hwy 50. the airport is way out east. pueblo west is just another yuppie, white-flight suburb. I25/50 motels have jacked up their prices for the fair. might be reasonable after this week.

be sensitive to the environmental issues around you that may take awhile to notice since it is such a different ecosystem from the low plains. you're entering an overpopulated drought zone that is experiencing fire and flood. the forests and watersheds are under severe stress from many factors. the citizens are making the best of things, while enduring the constant summer tourist flow, hoping for better times ahead and arguing politics. pueblo has avoided a lot of those issues. it still waters its grass. it's just kind of sleepy.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 08-28-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM

9,967 posts, read 6,265,909 times
I forgot about Crestone Co, it's not expensive either. Lots of old hippies there.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,835,592 times
Curious, what kind of on-line jobs do you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado