Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 02:53 PM

26,134 posts, read 48,779,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIFRE View Post
GOOD NEWS.....FINALLY!

Dateline: 8-29-13

"The Department of Justice said today it will not seek to block or substantially alter adult-use marijuana laws in Colorado and Washington State at this time, a major win for the cannabis industry that signals a tipping point in the government’s approach to the drug.

Attorney General Eric Holder told the governors of both states that the DOJ will take a hands-off approach to the new recreational cannabis programs for now and will work closely with them to ensure regulations on the industry address any federal concerns.

The DOJ also issued new guidelines for federal prosecutors when it comes to enforcing marijuana laws, saying they should focus mainly on crimes such as the distribution of marijuana to minors, driving while intoxicated, drug trafficking by gangs and cartels, and marijuana cultivation on public lands".
Most excellent.

My translation: Colorado is open for business, y'all come!

Or as they say in the old war movies.....smoke 'em if ya got 'em.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 PM

653 posts, read 1,779,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie Lollie View Post
Best laugh I've had all day!!! Thank you!! A republican president in 2016. lolol
Always here to bring some levity and cheer. You should know that my response is somewhat tongue in cheek.. personally, I'm for MJ legalization with regulations strictly enforced. My fear is that people will get reckless about it and spoil it all for the more responsible ones out there, which hopefully is the majority. I am for real about if a republican or tea party candidate gets in there in 2016.. the reality is there that it could be repealed BUT todays news that the Fed won't crack down on MJ use where it's legal is an encouraging step, and frankly I was pleasantly surprised. I just hope folks use it responsibly and not ruin it for everyone else.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:08 PM

30 posts, read 45,743 times
This has been a fascinating visit. Thank you all. I apologize for getting defensive. I was too thin skinned. I know. But you've set me straight and I'll be coming out this fall. Thanks for your time, well wishes, welcoming words and wonderful, wonderful well thought out and suggestions and directions. I also appreciate the naysayers. I'm scrappy and for the most part got a kick out our back and forths.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:44 AM

802 posts, read 978,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Always here to bring some levity and cheer. You should know that my response is somewhat tongue in cheek.. personally, I'm for MJ legalization with regulations strictly enforced. My fear is that people will get reckless about it and spoil it all for the more responsible ones out there, which hopefully is the majority. I am for real about if a republican or tea party candidate gets in there in 2016.. the reality is there that it could be repealed BUT todays news that the Fed won't crack down on MJ use where it's legal is an encouraging step, and frankly I was pleasantly surprised. I just hope folks use it responsibly and not ruin it for everyone else.
it may be time for us to begin thinking seriously about how we discuss the issues in a post-legalization/regulation era. we have seen the negative reactions, potential backlash emotions, and the strangely twisted rhetoric of "SMART" COLORADO and urban leagues. we have seen the stoner stereotypes and the doubts about medical benefits and the outrage over regulation bureaucracy. we have seen elected officials deliberately defying their constituents' wishes and prohibitionist frenzy to "save the children" and the fallacies of 5-nano driving limits and the mass media promulgation of skewed news reporting . we are facing neo-reefer-madness attitudes that will stop at nothing to discredit the movement toward tolerance. statistics will be twisted, lobbying will increase, political campaigns will be fierce, regulation enforcement may be strengthened instead of relaxed, established commercial interests will be ultra-competitive. the international scene will become more complex as U.S. drug treaties are threatened.

our arguments, support and defenses will need to evolve to meet what comes at us down the road. how should we respond to charges of reckless cannabis behavior leading to the (further?) downfall of civilization? how can we counter accusations of dumbed-down child iq's and too-slow driving and offensive odors and second-hand smoke? how do we influence a relaxation of over-regulation? how can we help the other states overcome the legalization hurdles? how can we help promote long overdue research? are the existing pro-cannabis organizations up to the job? it won't be easy coming out of the closet. it will take all of us to figure this stuff out. which online/offline forums will be most conducive to the discussions? ...many things to ponder as we begin to congregate behind A64....

Old 08-31-2013, 01:06 PM

26,134 posts, read 48,779,992 times
Default Dreadful Costs of Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie Lollie View Post
Well, let's see... My father that molested me when I was eleven was so drunk he didn't even know who I was or that I had never heard the words molestation or incest... had to learn em the hard way... thanks Alcohol. My beautiful, precious sweet spirited brother became an alcoholic, yeah he's filled with that evil spirit... no one visits him except early in the morning cause that's the only time David is there, the rest of the time, it's just that damn hateful evil spirit. I quit college and bought a bar to study alcohol when I was 22. I had to get to know this monster better. And what I learned there was freaking terrifying. Regular people, just coming in for a beer and a game of pool, NOT alcoholics at all... and in three months time, or six or ten, everyone is different, I saw so many fall like dominos to the will of that evil spirit... yeah I know it pretty well.

I was up for jury duty in a heartbreaking case, two young women in different cars. The drunk one crossed the line and survived while killing the other one, but not quickly, sadly, not quickly. In that room I saw two mothers with eyes nearly swollen shut from crying and one girl, the defendent, the same. The defense attorney was dressed small town but he was the most expensive lawyer out of Oklahoma city for good reason. While picking the jury he was planting the seed that you know how drunk you are better than someone outside yourself..... right... the others were nodding like they were bobble head dolls. I said no, not right. He came at me with all your arrogance asking questions about my qualifications to speak about such things and it boiled down to "so when you had that bar, what kinda sign told you they were too drunk to drive safely?" And I said, "when they reach to put their elbow on the bar and they miss." His eyes telegraphed how sure he was he was about to crush me... "and how did THAT mean they couldn't drive??" "Because it meant their brain had sent a common command to their arm and it was not able to do what it did every day without a problem. When your body can't do what your brain tells it to, you're no qualified to be in control of a 2000 pound weapon. Funny. He got me right outta there.

I think alcohol is an evil spirit. And everyone who is not already an alcoholic thinks it can't get them, it can't get you, it can't get me.... and I'm right. That son of a b can't get me. Wait, that's not true. It molested me, stole my brother, destroyed years of numerous friends lives, taken friend's lives. I have pity for those who are infested with that evil monster.

When they run the statistics in the states a year or two from now, thanks to marijuana you're going to see important statistical numbers drop in Colorado and Washington, traffic fatalities due to alcohol and not raised anywhere close by marijuana, domestic violence, child molestation, other rapes, bar killings.... and that's gonna be beautiful, cause then Marijuana will be legalized from shore to shore. And there will be less alcohol infesting people. The future's so bright... I have to wear shades.

Excellent article in today's WaPo about approaches to treating alcoholism.

Excerpt: "With about 80,000 Americans dying each year, excessive alcohol use remains the third most-preventable cause of death in the USA, topped only by smoking and obesity. Alcohol remains a stubborn killer of people in their prime. The tragedy is propagated over generations, through poverty, violence, broken families and harm to fetal brains. The consequences of excessive alcohol use are also a disaster in crass economic terms. At a quarter trillion dollars a year, alcohol-use disorders are some of the most neglected and mismanaged medical conditions."

Key stats are that about 80,000 people die each year directly from alcohol and the price tag for all alcohol-related troubles is $250B annually. The article gets at the need to use existing and new Rx drugs to treat the disease; comments posted by readers are excellent. Point is that we incur horrific human and financial costs with alcohol but there's little outcry or wringing of hands over that fact compared to the mania we see with the reefer madness. Amazing.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:23 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,943,393 times
^^^^There is little outcry or wringing of hands with regard to alcohol sickness and death BECAUSE it is a 250 billion dollar industry! Like Cancer, it is a cash cow so there is no real incentive to put an end to it.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:14 AM

802 posts, read 978,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
^^^^There is little outcry or wringing of hands with regard to alcohol sickness and death BECAUSE it is a 250 billion dollar industry! Like Cancer, it is a cash cow so there is no real incentive to put an end to it.
that may change as cannabis supporters become outraged when cannabis sales are banned and use is restricted to home-only in their community, while alcohol abuse is allowed nearly free rein, with liquor stores and bars everywhere and convenience/grocery stores selling beer and wine. voters are beginning to discuss outright alcohol bans. homeowners will be able to choose between bedroom home-grows or bathtub stills.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 09-01-2013 at 03:25 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 08:45 AM

17,921 posts, read 27,317,512 times
Lollie, I have empathy for you that you experienced the same alcohol abuse in your family that I have.

I've been sober for 9 years, 7 months, and about 20 days but who's counting? My dad decided to get sober aka quit drinking about when I did "this last time". Because my dad don't drink, my mom pretty much stopped but when she drinks with other family occassionally, she still can't "handle her booze ".

I see my mom and dad as hard drinkers/potential alkys. My mom's brother died of cirrhosis while rotting in my parent's basement. He had other problems too.

Alcohol doesn't make you the Devil, but it does raise the devil in you if you drink too much too fast. Most people can't and/or don't.

You cannot drink yourself alcoholic.

You cannot drink yourself alcoholic.

Drinking alcohol can make you drive drunk, kill, rape, steal, etc., even if you're the pope.

But temperance and reform has already been tried and it failed. You're of no use to other alcoholics, but I am because I am a recovered one.

I do hope that weed replaced booze from many people's menu, but amongst them, there will still be murderers, thieves, and rapists.

I've tried the Marijuana Maintenance Program from time to time, but did not work for me long term but I don't doubt that it could work for some.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-01-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 PM

599 posts, read 950,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
that may change as cannabis supporters become outraged when cannabis sales are banned and use is restricted to home-only in their community, while alcohol abuse is allowed nearly free rein, with liquor stores and bars everywhere and convenience/grocery stores selling beer and wine. voters are beginning to discuss outright alcohol bans. homeowners will be able to choose between bedroom home-grows or bathtub stills.

Jeee. Sus.

Someone help me. How is it that people are so COMPLETELY uninformed on Colorado's pot laws? They have only been in the state newspapers for what, a year now? I don't expect the average person to know or care, but clearly, the stoners and pot heads are not getting the message.

Cannabis sales ARE banned the in vast majority of the state and use IS restricted to home only, everywhere, period. Do you not understand?

God help us. We don't have court capacity to process all the ignorant morons who live here and think you will be able to smoke pot openly, let alone the influx of college kids thinking Denver will be Amsterdam.

Read the last four paragraphs in this article. Tell us if you comprehend them.

Marijuana industry prepares for 2014, but is Colorado ready? - The Denver Post

Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,094,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Jeee. Sus.

Someone help me. How is it that people are so COMPLETELY uninformed on Colorado's pot laws? They have only been in the state newspapers for what, a year now? I don't expect the average person to know or care, but clearly, the stoners and pot heads are not getting the message.

Cannabis sales ARE banned the in vast majority of the state and use IS restricted to home only, everywhere, period. Do you not understand?

God help us. We don't have court capacity to process all the ignorant morons who live here and think you will be able to smoke pot openly, let alone the influx of college kids thinking Denver will be Amsterdam.

Read the last four paragraphs in this article. Tell us if you comprehend them.

Marijuana industry prepares for 2014, but is Colorado ready? - The Denver Post

I voted against Amendment 64 because it was a poorly written amendment. Amendment 64 specifically bans public consumption. And, because it is an amendment, its provisions cannot be changed without another amendment and statewide public vote to override those provisions. This process will take at least 2-3 years to play out. Meanwhile, people will (theoretically) be cited for public consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado