U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,835 times

Advertisements

We just bought a home near the high school and the train is horrible. I would do anything to have someone tell me the truth when I asked instead of oh we barley notice the train. It blows its horn every 1/2 hour from 10:00 to 8:00 am sometimes it is so bad that we just can not sleep. Was not in our contract either. I guess I will be at the town meetings to get a quite zone here also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 08:07 PM

22,217 posts, read 10,306,560 times
Well, first of all, you should have known there would be train noise near a train track.

But, after a while, you will get used to it. My grandmother once bought a house in Florida right next to a railroad track. I mean something like less than 100 feet away. The first night I was there it drove me crazy. Within a week, I didn't even notice it. So those who told you they barely notice the train noise, they were probably being completely honest.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 25 days ago)

10,891 posts, read 29,335,340 times
Get a white noise machine. You will sleep better.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:08 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,797,284 times
The trains were there first. Federal law requires the engineer to blow the locomotive horn when approaching any public highway or road crossing the tracks. The only exception is in designated "Quiet Zones"--those require the crossing to be protected by lights and gates, along with other requirements. "Quiet Zones" are extremely expensive to adopt, the cost is paid by the agency administering the road, not the railroad.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:36 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,024,811 times
Wink Believe it

"Uninterrupted sleep is known to be a prerequisite for good physiologic and mental functioning in healthy individuals. Environmental noise is one of the major causes of disturbed sleep. When sleep disruption becomes chronic, the results are mood changes, decrements in performance, and other long-term effects on health and well-being." [1]

Do a little research in this and you will see that inordinate noise poses a serious problem and threat to health. But in ignoring all other advice and listening to your own body one will know as much.

Quite strangely, there are more than a few who manage to exist near freeways, ceaseless traffic and its attendant racket, under airport flightpaths, etc., and even accept it. But to consider this normal would be to overlook the human condition and just how unbalanced that is (to put THAT very kindly).

MOVE. One can assign the blame for the existing condition on oneself perhaps, or maybe rightly on others who should behave differently. But the quickest solution is to distance oneself immediately. Nor am I suggesting that this is economically feasible or practical. Only what is.

You may fight this near forever. Perhaps, like some, become inured to it. But if it drives you crazy, then what you will become.

1) 'Noise Pollution: A Modern Plague,' Medscape
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/554566_3

Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,522,785 times
I'm not sure why you didn't research it a bit more when you saw train tracks right next to your prospective home. You really can't blame anyone else for that, but that's a separate issue. What's done is done.

I have lived less than 1/4 mile from the BNSF freight line (near a non-quiet-zone intersection at the top of the divide = very loud) but I don't even notice it most of the time. We got a central A/C our first year here so we can keep the windows closed in the summertime as needed. We also upgraded some of our windows on that side to high quality ones which greatly reduce the noise. We don't have a white noise reducer but my understanding is that train horns aren't really 'white noise' so I don't think it would help much anyways.

I've read similar research to what Idunn has posted above. I don't think it's entirely untrue, but I take it with a big grain of salt. Those research results are primarily based on subjects in large cities exposed to constant traffic, siren and other noises at high decibels all day and night (which I have experienced in NYC ~ insufferable). It's not the same with an occasional passing train (especially if its horn isn't blowing near you each time. If it's not a constant, loud racket, you will no doubt get used to it very soon. Buying some soundproofing materials can reduce the noise significantly. (like the windows I mentioned, but things like curtains or foam pads also help and cost a lot less)

The other thing that will help combat the noise is a positive attitude on your part. Try to enjoy the train as a part of the history of your area, an engineering marvel, and a lifeline for our modern society. Also realize that there may be other benefits to living near a train, such as: 1) less through traffic in your area 2) lower housing cost and 3) fewer overly-controlling HOA types who feel that everything in life must be perfect in order to be enjoyable.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 1 day ago)

10,402 posts, read 14,246,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
my understanding is that train horns aren't really 'white noise' so I don't think it would help much anyways.
White noise is a low steady noise, such as the hum of your refrigerator, the sound of your AC, your dryer or a vacuum cleaner, a fan, or even the steady hum of your tires as you drive on a quiet road. It is very helpful in drowning out other sporadic, more distracting noises such as passing traffic, television or music coming from another room, etc. A lot of people find it soothing and it makes sleeping easier.
If the train horn is not terribly loud the OP might find a white noise machine or a fan placed near the bed to be very helpful at night.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:32 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,522,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
White noise is a low steady noise...
Thanks. I know what white noise is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Get a white noise machine. You will sleep better.
I'm not sure if 2bin meant something like this White Noise Machine or just a fan or humidifier that essentially does the same thing but with less level control. In either case, if you've ever lived next to a train (like I do) you'll know that white noise does little to distract from the blaring scream of a freight train horn, and then the fan noise gets annoying the other 95% of the time. I'm not saying it's not worth trying out a fan or something, but buying some kind of actual white noise generator would just be a waste of money, IMO. Good noise canceling headphones help a lot, but they're not practical to wear while sleeping, assuming you don't sleep sitting up.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:15 PM

437 posts, read 614,234 times
Sorry to hear that you're in a bit of a bind here. This is why due diligence is so important when you are buying a house. You really have to look at the place several times at various times of day to get a complete picture. I hope you get a workable solution but please don't hold your breath thinking that you are going to get a quiet zone that would apply to train whistles. They have to sound the horn at most, if not all intersections where they might encounter traffic.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 AM

9 posts, read 9,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCarla View Post
We just bought a home near the high school and the train is horrible. I would do anything to have someone tell me the truth when I asked instead of oh we barley notice the train. It blows its horn every 1/2 hour from 10:00 to 8:00 am sometimes it is so bad that we just can not sleep. Was not in our contract either. I guess I will be at the town meetings to get a quite zone here also.
Trust - but verify & .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or