U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:47 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times

Advertisements

otterprods wrote: I'm not trying to typo-police, just trying to clarify.

Admit it otter...you experience a secret enjoyment at being a typo nazi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 02:39 PM

14,498 posts, read 22,345,330 times
One thing they got in common is they got their own City-Data subforums.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:14 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,519,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Admit it otter...you experience a secret enjoyment at being a typo nazi!
Not entirely untrue, but only because I myself am in contention for the throne of TypoKings.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:53 PM

599 posts, read 832,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Why do you keep saying "Denver of Colorado Springs"? -- was it just the same typo over and over or do you think that Denver is inside of Colorado Springs? I'm not trying to typo-police, just trying to clarify.

Look at your keyboard. Where is the 'F"? Where is the "R".

That's why they are called "typos".

Old 09-05-2013, 04:03 PM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Default Keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Not near other.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,519,581 times
Quote:
Look at your keyboard. Where is the 'F"? Where is the "R". That's why they are called "typos".
OK, so it sounds like the answer was: 'typo'

Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
Quote:

That's why they are called "typos".
My keyboard is all worn out, I see NO F's or R's or A's or C's or anything else.

BOT...
Stick with the Springs, or... If U want Good Schools (well funded), Great Mtns, open SPACE, recreation, and terrific people, and no State income Taxes... consider WY.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:55 PM

654 posts, read 1,609,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
and you are not Mormon, you need to understand the rules.
1. SLC is the only place you can live.
2. With children, you would need to live in a non-majority-Mormon neighborhood.
3. Mormons shun all non-Mormon children.
4. Mormons even shun Mormons who are not part of the extended family. This is a problem in the suburbs. (Not my words, but from a Mormon who lived in Utah.)

And, no matter how many non-Mormons move to Utah, the state, as a whole, will always be controlled by them.
I don't mean to go off the topic of the original post but wanted to address the part about shunning. I'm LDS and formerly lived in Utah.

This post makes it sound like some sort of organized, intentional shunning by members. That does not happen. Active members of the church tend to be very active and it is a continuous part of their lives, not just on Sunday mornings. People will be friendly but naturally their closest friends will be the people they spend so much time with and that tends to be other members. The families in an individual ward (church) will attend church together, do home teaching together, service projects, supervise youth activities, work together on church callings, and so on. It is not a shunning so much as a byproduct of time spent in church related activities. The children follow the parents in this.

When your children grow to dating age, it takes on an additional angle since members want to marry in the temple. That requires that you marry another active member so a large segment of the dating population will be unavailable. Unless your child converts that is. If that would bother you, then you need to be fully aware of it before living there.

I don't even understand #4 from above so can't address it. It is totally foreign to me.

To the original poster, I saw that you mentioned things you like about SLC area. In it, you mentioned clean air. I want you to be aware that is not always the case. In winter, the area is subject to inversions. Denver has pollution but overall much better air quality that SLC. In Colorado Springs, the air quality gets even better.

Salt Lake City during inversion. That is not fog but pollution.
http://icons.wxug.com/hurricane/2013/jan23_utahsmog.jpg

Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 PM

1,969 posts, read 1,977,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyt801 View Post
I searched but didn't find much. I currently live in Los Angeles and wife and I want OUT soon! Was looking into Utah, Salt Lake area, but the Mormon population may be a factor when our future children start school and make friends. Can anyone tell me the major differences between Denver and Co Springs? I know Denver is higher in elevation, will that have any affect for people with asthma?
Denver's more progressive, Colorado Springs regressive. Denver offers more cultural opportunities. Depends on what other things treatment pro you are looking for. Denver Jewish Hospital is well known for its asthma treatment programs.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:25 AM

115 posts, read 135,138 times
Quote:
Also remember:

1) SLC is much cleaner and safer than Denver or Colorado Springs - the murder rate in Colorado Springs is three times higher than SLC. The Burglary rate is double. Denver is even WORSE.
2) The cost of living in SLC is much lower than Denver of Colorado Springs
3) The outdoor activities are much closer and more varied in SLC than in Colorado Springs
4) The Mormon thing is way overblown.
5) If you don't like SLC, you can live in Park City, which has even less of a Mormon influence than SLC.
6) Since it seems to be an issue, SLC is lower than Denver of Colorado Springs.
7) Since you are from the coast, water sports are much more available in SLC than Denver of Colorado Springs.
I would like to politely disagree on a few of these points, and then get back to the original purpose of this thread as this is not the Utah forums. I have family in Utah and Provo and have been there several times. I considered moving out there at one point, and I do a great deal of study on geography (hence username).

2. The COL in CS is the lowest out of those three cities. This is largely a factor of taxes and house prices.
3. It seemed to me that these were roughly equivalent, but perhaps you know better than I do in this regard.
4. I decided not to move there because of the strong Mormon presence. My family living there is Mormon, and while we like them, we did not wish to be isolated and denied opportunities. After extensive research, I disagree that it is overblown. My uncle's family there (the only non-Mormons we know in Utah) has felt this firsthand.

I find points 1,5,6, and 7 to be quite reasonable.

For the OP. Moving is generally a big life change. I hope it goes well for you. I would echo what another poster said about finding the right place to move to, but I'd also temper the warning. I think getting out of an area is a wonderful reason to move. It's okay to have that reason as long as you are able to focus on searching for the right place to go to so that you don't end up repeating the process. No one wants to do that.

Due to weather patterns I often recommend people look into the mountain cities. The cleanest air of those three places is easily CS, but Denver's is not awful. They certainly are a place where you can say "more" about many things. I'd say they are easily the best large city in the country. (2mil+ in metro pop)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado